House of Sorrow: the Darrys

Adelin

Exactly and its not like they stuck to their own either, Targs are nothing to them. They are not First Men, they are not Riverlanders, so essentially they have taken an opposition side against their own multiple times.

No that title belongs to the Tullies, when the Andal came they defended their land, where the Tullies betrayed the Mudds, following the Andals instead of following Tristifer V after Tristifer IV. They betrayed Aegon the Prince and joined Maegor. The "they are not first men" arguement is quiet silly, no one in westeros save the clansmen and wildlings can claim to be true first men. Aerys was their king, and gave no cause to Darry or even Hoster to rebel.

Great post, OP!

I didn't initially think much of the Darrys - their name isn't as cool sounding as the other good ones, their sigil is boring, we don't even know their words... And I just thought it was funny they still have Targ tapestries around, like they're holding on to past glory - and the visual of them running around the place trying to take them all down before Robert arrives. But when you understand the history of the family, it's quite poignant.

Darrys and Darklyns, two families on the sidelines of the story (and in fact both extinct, for now), both with very interesting histories tying them to the Targs. Would be great to learn more about them. Dunk and Egg material maybe?

Great post, OP!

I didn't initially think much of the Darrys - their name isn't as cool sounding as the other good ones, their sigil is boring, we don't even know their words... And I just thought it was funny they still have Targ tapestries around, like they're holding on to past glory - and the visual of them running around the place trying to take them all down before Robert arrives. But when you understand the history of the family, it's quite poignant.

Darrys and Darklyns, two families on the sidelines of the story (and in fact both extinct, for now), both with very interesting histories tying them to the Targs. Would be great to learn more about them. Dunk and Egg material maybe?

Why thank you! Yeah, they have one of the most boring sigils in the Seven Kingdoms, we don't know their house words, their keep is tiny, they aren't married into major families, and they hardly tie into the main plot (though 2 chapters spent at their keep is rather significant). But it's interesting to find out how intricate GRRM has made their history; they are definitely a fully fleshed out family.

The tapestries are beautifully poignant; how dangerous is it that they have tapestries glorifying the Targaryens! I think that this goes to show that many and more lords were either Targaryen loyalists or neutral on the succession; Ser Ryman could hardly take them down every time a minor lord came visiting!

I think that, to some extent, they are foils to the Freys (the Elder Brother mentions them in contrast in the Quiet Isle chapter). I think that the two marriages with the Freys after the War of the Usurper were part of their punishment. Just look at them; House Darry values loyalty above all, and it has dwindled to nothing and had it's power broken. The Freys are the most numerous house in Westeros, and now one of the most powerful as well. It just goes to show; good guys don't always win.

Why thank you! Yeah, they have one of the most boring sigils in the Seven Kingdoms, we don't know their house words, their keep is tiny, they aren't married into major families, and they hardly tie into the main plot (though 2 chapters spent at their keep is rather significant). But it's interesting to find out how intricate GRRM has made their history; they are definitely a fully fleshed out family.

The tapestries are beautifully poignant; how dangerous is it that they have tapestries glorifying the Targaryens! I think that this goes to show that many and more lords were either Targaryen loyalists or neutral on the succession; Ser Ryman could hardly take them down every time a minor lord came visiting!

I think that, to some extent, they are foils to the Freys (the Elder Brother mentions them in contrast in the Quiet Isle chapter). I think that the two marriages with the Freys after the War of the Usurper were part of their punishment. Just look at them; House Darry values loyalty above all, and it has dwindled to nothing and had it's power broken. The Freys are the most numerous house in Westeros, and now one of the most powerful as well. It just goes to show; good guys don't always win.

Slight chance Elder Brother is a Darry it would be really cool if he was Tristan's father lol

Mariya "grammar Nazi" Frey was born a Darry. Lancel was the rightful lord of Darry (according to the Iron Throne), but he was married off to Amerei to secure the support of the small folk.

That's the way I remember it too. And, she's the daughter of the Merritt Frey [killed by LS at the end of [sOS? ]]

so, walder frey's granddaughter.

correct?

That's the way I remember it too. And, she's the daughter of the Merritt Frey [killed by LS at the end of [sOS? ]]

so, walder frey's granddaughter.

correct?

Exactly. They are definitely more Frey than Darry. Amerei has a reputation for being... rather uninhibited with the stable grooms. Her sister is Fat Walda (for the sake of her Darry blood and sense of humour I hope she lives), and her brother was Little Walder, who isn't going to grow up to be a Frey.

Yeah, I see no reason why a house like Darry would be so loyal to the Targaryens. What did the Targaryens did for them in 300 years?

Of course, in RR, they kind of had to be due to two potential hostages.

But if the little lord of Darry didn't declare for Robb and returned home because of it, well, then that move cost his head. If he didn't, he could have been safer in Riverrun.

That kid was dead, both the Lannisters and the Freys had good daughters who stood to inherit if he died.

Exactly. They are definitely more Frey than Darry. Amerei has a reputation for being... rather uninhibited with the stable grooms. Her sister is Fat Walda (for the sake of her Darry blood and sense of humour I hope she lives), and her brother was Little Walder, who isn't going to grow up to be a Frey.

The Crakehall women are all sluts, supposedly.

Archived