Was Aegon the conqueror gay?

NGParadox

You convinced me. Okay, maybe not fully convinced, but it's definitely a solid theory and better than what I thought I'd read after reading the thread title.

Lol yea it sounds like something a complete crackpot would say :P and I agree the being sterile argument is a more likely outcome but what I like about this is it shows why they never confirmed Orys was a bastard brother. It's just what people assume.

I think Daeron and Baelor where likely both gay, Aegon no I compare him to Ned Stark in terms of his personality really he wasn't mister show off matter a fact he really didn't like doing that only to show a message.

Ned Stark got a child every three years or thereabouts with one wife, which is quite normal for unprotected sex. Aegon got two sons in ~45 years combined fertility split among his two wifes, which is damn extraordinary. Something is fishy

I don't know how comparing him to Ned Stark's personality relates to him not being gay, by the way. Nor do I understand how not showing off would imply that.

Do you think all gays are show-offs?

Aegon I was sterile. Baelor I most likely had the hots for his sisters (i.e. he was into women), as people seemed to believe that he felt he would be tempted by them if he would not confine them to the Maidenvault.

About Daeron I's sexuality we don't know anything whatsoever.

By the time of the Dornish letter, Maegor was already born. But Aegon clearly wanted Aenys to succeed him, the son of Rhaenys, rather than the son of Visenya's, that much is clear. If the Martells had proof that Aenys was not Aegon's son, this could have been a reason why he accepted the peace (although I'm not sure how this proof would have looked like). But the mere rumor could have caused a lot of trouble for Aegon and his whole dynasty. And we should keep in mind that Visenya either knew or suspected the truth about Aenys' heritage, and this was (part of) the reason she backed Maegor over Aenys - however, this would make more sense, if Maegor was not a clone of Visenya's but rather a son of Aegon and Visenya conceived with the help of magic, as then Visenya would clearly have the high ground on the whole succession issue...

I'm not sure that the succession issue would be that clear. The Targaryens had no blood right to take the Seven Kingdoms, they had dragons. As long as the heir was a dragonlord issues such as paternity would take a back seat. There might be rebellions, both Aenys and Maegor faced these, but it's notable that no rebellions overthrew the Targaryens because there was always a dragonrider available.

What could be interesting about Aegon's heirs not being his sons is that it would parallel Robert's heirs not being his sons. Both kings by conquest would be the last of their lines.

... As long as the heir was a dragonlord issues such as paternity would take a back seat.

What could be interesting about Aegon's heirs not being his sons is that it would parallel Robert's heirs not being his sons. Both kings by conquest would be the last of their lines.

If paternity takes a back seat, then Aegon isn't the last of his line - the family line was continued by his sisters. Both Rhaenys and Visenya could be called "the Conqueror" as well, since they weren't just Aegon's queens consort (and the language in TWOIAF seems to suggest that in the case of Targ brother-sister marriages before the Conquest, the brother and sister ruled Dragonstone jointly).

"Aegon the Conqueror and his Sister-Wives" is how the story of the Conquest was interpreted, recorded and retold in Westeros - a deeply patriarchal society that can only accommodate women in certain clearly defined roles (and doesn't really think of women as having descendants past their children/grandchildren, since all descent is calculated in the male line). So while Aegon may have been a king by conquest who had no offspring, his sister were queens by conquest who did, so the line of "the conquerors" was safe. And if you consider Visenya's role, it's not really clear that Aegon was any more vital to the conquest than she was.

Archived