Talking in your sleep

Stubby

Apparently I have said some memorable things while talking in my sleep. This thread is to share your own snooze-inspired wit and wisdom.

My greatest hits:

"I wonder what Chewbacca thinks about all these people in his treehouse?"

"What are you doig with my car seat covers?" (Our car doesn't have seat covers)

Sat up, giggled, went back to sleep.

So, nothing profound for me...

About two months ago MC sat up on the edge of the bed for a few minutes. I waited to see what was what, thinking he might have woken. He got up out of bed and headed into the closet, a move I wasn't expecting. I was worried he was heading to the bathroom in sleep confusion and got up to find out what he was doing.

Me: What are you doing? Do you need the bathroom?

MC: I just need to get a shirt.

Me: (perplexed, routes him out of the closet and to the bedroom without incident)

Later on the next morning he vaguely remembered the incident and how he was going to grab a shirt and head out.

Of the apartment.

In the middle of night.

Only in that shirt.

If you remember our previous posts on MC's sleepwalking adventures you know I have become a light sleeper who keeps a keen ear to what he's up to when he's out of the bed. So not really talking in his sleep, though we did have that verbal exchange.

It would be extremely rare for anyone to say anything "profound" while sleeptalking. And contrary to how this is often portrayed in comedy, people don't reveal their secret affairs while sleeptalking. :)

Way back when I was an undergraduate in college my freshman roommate both walked and talked in his sleep sometimes (and also had bruxism, the grinding of teeth in one's sleep.) The only thing I remember him saying while sleeptalking that I could make out at all was something about having to put things on trays.

When I was a young high school graduate I was a counselor at a camp for kids with asthma. This was my first experience immersed with kids and it was rather...stressful...for me.

We had a night where we were supposed to go camping in the woods but weather prevented it. We had our camping trip in a large indoor lodge where all the kids were sleeping on the floor in this huge space. Exhausted, I curled up in my sleeping bag early. At some point some kids yelled, at which point things fell apart.

I must have been in that half sleep state because I screamed and jumped up. One of the other counselors came running over to me. I guess I thought she was a demon or something because I screamed at the top of my lungs, knocked over a group of kids in my way, and went sprinting outside of the lodge, busting through the doors into the woods. I have no memory of this.

What I do remember is waking up, panting out of breath. I am standing in the middle of the woods, confused as hell, wondering what happened. I was a very long way away from the lodge and had no idea where I was or how I got there. I stumbled back to the lodge and it was lucky I found my way since I was in the middle of woods. I walk into the door to about 60 kids in utter silence. I could hear them whispering as I laid back down, saying stuff like "I think he is crazy" or "should we be scared?" or "Do you think he'll attack us?" I've never had a sleepwalk episode like that since.

On the plus side the kids didn't mess with me for the rest of the week. The fear in their eyes was a positive, since I didn't have to yell at any of them for messing around.

When I was in boot camp, I slept punched someone in the nose once.

It was in Great Lakes Illinois, and I had been doing mid watches for a week. a mid watch is the watch between midnight and 2am. Going to bed every night at 10pm, and waking up at 4am is the standard practice in boot camp, so when you have to walk around for two hours in between two hour naps for a while, it becomes really exhausting.

Apparently, I was not responding to people talking to me when they were trying to wake me up, and someone tried to wake me up by slapping me in the face a couple of times. Without realizing what was going on, I sprang out of bed and punched this poor kid and broke his nose. I felt horrible about the situation.

I've said some crazy things in my sleep, but can't remember really what they were.

I do once in a while lucid dream, only when I do this I have a habit of getting "stuck" in a dream, and when this happens sometimes I'm able to make myself say out loud "wake me up!" and someone does.

Apparently last night I shouted that there is a shark in my wardrobe and verbally abused my husband for making me move to an underwater house.

I remember this dream. I remember that conversation in the dream (Though I wasn't aware I was actually saying all this out loud.) And I remember how scared I was. I could see that monster swimming close to the house every time I looked out the window. And then one day I go to get a jacket out of the closet and crash! it busted through all angry Jaws style. Who wouldn't be a bit ticked off?

One time in the deepest, darkest pit of my depression and despair, I found myself plagued by a bout of insomnia. Not falling asleep, not staying asleep, always feeling sleep deprived - so, your basic sleep-related symptoms of depression. But I'd also get nightmares too, and forget they happened. This one night I was sharing a bedroom with a twenty-or-so year older ex-con and most of the time it'd be him waking me up in the middle of the night, but that night apparently I was having a nightmare and making having-a-nightmare type sounds and suddenly I sat straight up and intoned in a voice like robot gravel: "There's a snake in my boooooots."

I've sleep-walked and sleep-talked all my life. I'll sometimes half-wake, and act as if a dream is real; I once unplugged my alarm clock becuae I thought it was a bomb. Another time I crouched behind my bed waiting for a bomb to go off.

I was on holiday in ibiza in August 2013, sharing a hotel room with two workmates. Two of us were in beds, the third wasin a pull-out 'bed' and slept between the two beds. One night I dreamed a gang had burst into the room to abduct us. I leapt sideways out of the bed, fell on the wooden bit of the pull-out and (believing I was being dragged away) kicked out screaming and shouting. I kicked out at the guy in the pull-out, striking his badly sunburned legs. Luckily the third guy turned on the light, but my expression scared te shit out of the guy I landed on.

I've been ina relationship for 6 months now, and it is a worry. I have talked on occasion, telling my girlfriend I needed to get leaflets. The worse bit is when questioned, I'll insist I know what I'm talking about for a few minutes. I did wake her up once to tell her to get some beers from the bar.

I often talk in my sleep. My SO is really hard to wake up, but sometimes I manage it. One time, I was shaking him and saying "come on, we have to get up now! Wake up!" This must have been going on for a while, because he woke up, realised it was the middle of the night, and said "Don't be silly, it's still night, go back to sleep", to which I said "well excuuuuuse me!" He thought I was awake and annoyed at him, until I started snoring a few minutes later.

Another memorable time was when my friend was staying over. I sat bolt upright in bed, grumbling, then called out "You're all a bunch of cunts!", then went back to sleep. :lol:

Mostly single words. Utterly random. This weeks exclamation was "Catland". No idea what that was supposed to mean. I also have the odd gnomic sentence but can't remember any at the moment. I've no recollection of the dreams that inspired them.

I don't sleep talk so much, but while dozing in the morning I frequently dream bizarre conversations with Brook and then wake up and either continue the conversation to her utter confusion, or get annoyed waiting for her to reply to something I never said.

When my ex-wife came to Australia, the night after I took her to Taronga Zoo she was speaking in her sleep about how the Platypus' with knives were coming for us, and the Wallabies were disrespecting the Kangaroos. The latter at least had some prompting, as we got a photo at the zoo of wallabies lying around right in front of a sign that said "Kangaroos only". Or it might have been the only way around, but one of them was disrespecting the other.

I've never been told I talk in my sleep in an talking-about-dreams form. However, my husband has periodically mentioned conversations we've had at night after I'd been asleep where I sat up and had legitimate, intelligent conversations with him that I have absolutely no recollection of.

While I apparently sleep like the dead, no movement whatsoever, an old friend of mine has a pretty creepy sleepwalking story. His dad was getting a drink in the early hours of the morning, just happened to look out of the French windows to see him stood there staring in, motionless.

:lol: Wish I had dreams like that.

I had a dream recently that a UFO was over the Puget Sound (WA state) and was seemingly "abducting" a massively HUGE shark thru this "light" connecting the UFO to the water.... and I was in one of those big camping tents which had two beds (one on the right and one on the left of the door/entrance)... I saw the UFO abducting the shark thru this small entrance on the roof of the tent and I "knew" that I needed to hide from the UFO so my friend (she was sitting on the other bed cross legged while reading) and I would be safe... but somehow I knew the UFO saw me duck down and it "carried" the shark using the "light" over to our tent and FLUNG IT INTO MY TENT!!!

LMAO!!! I bailed on my friend using the door/entrance on the ceiling if the tent just BARELY because the shark was snapping and biting back and forth, left to right.... then I hid in the woods under the trees....

Anyway... I woke up and told all my friends and family that I had a dream that A UFO THREW A SHARK AT ME!!!!

OMG... lmao!!!

I mean.... I wonder if that sentence has EVER been said before!!? Ever???? I highly doubt it.....

I blame YouTube & Sharknado... Seriously... I really do!!!

I don't sleep walk or talk but my house comes alive at night. 2 of my 3 children & my husband sleep walk & talk.

My husband once said (while puffing his chest out & pointing both thumbs towards his head) "Check out my super horns!"

Another time he said "Is it the 3rd hole, or the 9th hole?" I said "Are you playing golf?" He said "No, I'm just asking you. Is it the 3rd hole? (He poked me with his finger behind my knee) or the 9th hole?"(Another poke this time behind the ear)

My daughter gets up the most. She has busted into my room on several occasions saying things like:

"I already told you!" "I. Already. Told. You." (This time pointing one finger into the palm of her other hand for emphasis.

"Did one of the babies come in here?"

"Please don't put me outside."

She stands out side her brothers bedroom & wiggles the doorknob sometimes.

The worst was when we woke to a loud banging noise & thought someone was trying to break in only to find it was her trying to kick out her bedroom window.

My son was searching up & down my bedroom wall with his hands one night & when I asked him what he was doing he said "Looking for the zipper."

It's a mad house around here at night.

I've said some crazy things in my sleep, but can't remember really what they were.

I do once in a while lucid dream, only when I do this I have a habit of getting "stuck" in a dream, and when this happens sometimes I'm able to make myself say out loud "wake me up!" and someone does.

Whoa... that's a trip! Lol... I wish I could lucid dream... I've slept walk/talk and even had a few "false awakenings" but that's about it....

Archived