Were you satisfied with the Castle Black battle getting a whole episode to itself?

VictariousReturneth

I don't know why you keep bringing up this "innovation" concept as if for a battle scene to be good or realistic it needs to be done in a completely groundbreaking way that hasn't been done before. That's not true. Having scenes that make absolutely no logical sense is gonna hurt the quality of your product.

And I don't know why you're talking about the Hobbit films but I think they are complete crap. As another poster said they are also full of nonsensical things and completely unrealistic battle scenes.

I don't want anything nonsensical , doesn't have to be unrealistic to be imaginative. I like having my expectations undercut and to be surprised.

The Battle of Five Armies had waves of CGI crashing into waves of CGI...and that's when I started losing my focus and looking at my watch. The battles here had actual people fighting. That alone puts them above most of the battles you tend to see in big budget Hollywood fantasy/SF if we're talking stuff like The Avengers etc.

Yeah, I would've enjoyed Stannis. Stannis! STANNIS! at the end of the episode. With that said, I had a great time watching this episode. Wasn't a real fan of Ollie and his storyline, and I thought it might've been better to not show who fired the arrow. That nod he gave to Jon was silly, and sorta ruined the moment.

Yeah, I would've enjoyed Stannis. Stannis! STANNIS! at the end of the episode.

I think I've posted this before elsewhere on the forum, but watching the Castle Black episode was quite similar to the first time I saw The Two Towers - I didn't enjoy the first viewing because the climax that I expected wasn't there. No Stannis; no Shelob. And that made me angry and very disappointed! NERD RAGE!!!! HOW COULD THEY RUIN THE STORY THIS WAY?!?!?! NERD SMASH oh f*ck my hand hurts I'd better not do that again...

Then I watched them again and thought, oh, actually, it makes a lot of sense to do it that way. OK. I like it now. If Stannis had come in at the end of Episode 9, the emphasis would have been on Stannis saving them at the last minute - but as it was, the emphasis was instead on the Night's Watch living to fight another day. I think that's the right emphasis.

In both cases, I think I'd have enjoyed the first viewing far more if someone had "spoiled" the fact that the story didn't get as far as I was expecting. (Going the other way: I did know at what point The Hobbit II ended, and I'm glad I did, because if I hadn't, that ending would have had me leaving the theatre in a bad mood.)

As someone who likes GOT for the characters and drama, I'm glad they confined the Castle Black battle to one episode. It makes it easy to avoid when I watch the season again.

:lmao:

I was really only looking forward to this episode for STANNIS and while I completely see their logic for not going there and letting the NW have their moment, I'll be forever annoyed and it's the only episode I never even bothered to download after watching.

Blackwater was much more interesting for me but mainly because I was more invested in the characters involved.

It was okay, I guess. I can't say I was blown away by it, but I was fairly entertained. Gotta say though, Ygritte's death did nothing for me. And out of all the "special, ninth episodes", this was the weakest one by far, in my opinion.

The fact that they only have a limited budget on the show was very apparent during this episode. The battle felt "smaller" than it should have.

It was okay, I guess. I can't say I was blown away by it, but I was fairly entertained. Gotta say though, Ygritte's death did nothing for me. And out of all the "special, ninth episodes", this was the weakest one by far, in my opinion.

The fact that they only have a limited budget on the show was very apparent during this episode. The battle felt "smaller" than it should have.

Not sure if serious. They probably over spent if anything. The IMAX showing is breathtaking.

Not sure if serious. They probably over spent if anything. The IMAX showing is breathtaking.

Have you read the books?

How many mammoths were there? One or two? And how many giants? Two. It definitely felt smaller than it could have, if they had a bigger budget.

It's a TV show. You could say "if they had a bigger budget" for every show in existence.

Sure. But that doesn't mean that I'm not allowed to criticize or express my disappointment of this particular battle scene. It didn't quite live up to my expectations, but it certainly wasn't bad. It was just kinda "meh" - but only in my opinion of course.

It was the second biggest mistake of the season (first being Tyrion-Tysha-Shae). They should have kept the 2 battles separate like in the book. The Craster's Keep storyline was put in to give Jon something to do mid-season, when they could have simply kept the first Wall battle in mid-season to fill that role (yeah, Bran would have not had something to do, but I figure they could have found something). It had the effect of giving us a very weak season for Ygritte, and pushed back Jon's storyline such that he wasn't able to finish his book 3 storyline like everyone else was.

I don't complain much about the show, but this is one of them for me.

It was the second biggest mistake of the season (first being Tyrion-Tysha-Shae). They should have kept the 2 battles separate like in the book. The Craster's Keep storyline was put in to give Jon something to do mid-season, when they could have simply kept the first Wall battle in mid-season to fill that role (yeah, Bran would have not had something to do, but I figure they could have found something). It had the effect of giving us a very weak season for Ygritte, and pushed back Jon's storyline such that he wasn't able to finish his book 3 storyline like everyone else was.

I don't complain much about the show, but this is one of them for me.

I felt like the battle made more strategic sense in the show. Having the wildings attack the Wall separately, as in the books, was pretty stupid. It would be much more efficient to attack the Wall simultaneously, dividing up the Night's Watch forces, and have them fight the battle on two fronts.

Archived