Wow, I never noticed that... v.10

Lost Melnibonean

Only now, after reading aCoK, aSoS, aFfC, aDwD and AWOIAF am I reading aGoT. Wird I know, please don't hurt me.

Needless to say that only now I've noticed that it was f**king Sansa who told c**t Cersei that Ned was shopping everyone of back to Winterfell!!

I dint know if to feel angry or sad for her. Considering I've read the other books I think it bothers me even more that she never recalls having done that, that she doesn't even regret it. How can she not feel guilty about it?

I had a fairly indifferent opinion about Sansa but I believe I'm starting to dislike her more and more.

She was very young, thus immature, and I can understand not having perceived the full extent of her actions. The lack of remorse though only makes me see her as incredibly selfish and self-centered.

[/rant]

I shut up now.

No, Maegor, Daemon, Aemond, Aegon II don't count as mad because they was cruel. Being a bad person =/= being mental ill. Rhaenyra, I believe, may have had her sanity compromised toward the end of her life. Cruelty, vanity and excess piety may be symptoms of madness, but not madness itself and possessing those qualities is not a clear sign of mental illness. Aerys II, Gael, Jaehaera, Rhaegel, Vaella and Aerion do show signs of genuine mental illness/disability (I'm not sure about Aelor).

On the one hand, you are right, but do not forget that terms such as "sanity" or "madness" are not being used in a modern medical sense in the text. It is just a medieval society with almost zero serious knowledge about mental problems. In the eyes of the Westerosi an extremely cruel, or pious guy might be considered as mad. E. g. Maegor, Baelor the Blessed or Viserys (the one who was Dany's brother) likely were not mentally ill in a strict clinical meaning of the word, but in the eyes of the habitants of Planetos they were just madmen.

She was very young, thus immature, and I can understand not having perceived the full extent of her actions. The lack of remorse though only makes me see her as incredibly selfish and self-centered.

And in the same chapter she forgets to ask about Arya... But I'm not sure she realizes it was her fault. Pycelle tells her the moment Robert had died, Ned plotted to overthrow Joffrey. She may think he was misunderstood but the killing would have happened even without her intervention.

Only now, after reading aCoK, aSoS, aFfC, aDwD and AWOIAF am I reading aGoT. Wird I know, please don't hurt me.

I have to wonder if you have a slightly different take on Jaime, because in AGoT, he's a straight up villain. But in the rest he's a misunderstood hero...of sorts.

In which sense?

Jamie seems to me like someone who became so frustrated in his youth that he decided to wrap himself up in denial and commit only to what he acknowledges as important: his siblings and being a knight (hopefully dying as one).

At the moment he has already realised the denial he has lived in and is trying to be more consistent to what he thought was noble and correct before being trapped by Aerys/Cersei into devoting his life to the Kingsguard. Jaime is finally growing. I wonder when he'll actually come up with some reflection about what he did to Bran...

i'm rereading Dunk & Egg stories and the first time i've not noticed that Egg was there when Baelor died and this:

Someone was screaming, high and terrible.

could've been Egg :crying:

Also that Baelor literally fell on Dunk (and Dunk caught him)

And the Brotherhood w/o Banners is said to be kinda like Robin Hood, but there are songs about good outlaws in-universe:

At Dosk, they’d heard a harper sing “The Day They

Hanged Black Robin.” Ever since, Egg had been seeing gallant outlaws behind every bush.

(The Sworn Sword)

Needless to say that only now I've noticed that it was f**king Sansa who told c**t Cersei that Ned was shopping everyone of back to Winterfell!!

[sansa] was very young, thus immature, and I can understand not having perceived the full extent of her actions. The lack of remorse though only makes me see her as incredibly selfish and self-centered.

Better feel sorry for her. If you re-read books 2-5 now, you may find it is gnawing on her...

I took me a lot of time to realize that Dawn was simply made of meteoric iron. (It shows however that the item is really very old, likely was forged before iron smelting became common on Westeros.)

There may be much more to it when you realise that everybody who touches Dawn cuts themselves: Obsidian shards in the outer shell of it have been suggested.

Dany is supposed to look like Naerys Targaryen. Naerys was the daughter of Larra Rogare, who is from Lys.

A man said Dany looks like a whore from Lys. I think Dany, rather than having "Targaryen features" has the "Lyseni look", but it's barely noticeable because they all have silver hair and purple eyes.

Martin went ellipsis happy when writing dance. All the other books have like 10-15 instances, Dance has 881. Especially weird when you consider part of Dance and Feast were written at the same time.

The Tullys would have Valyrian blood through House Qoherys. If Edmyn Tully and Qoherys Girl are the ancestors of the current Tullys, and their line hadn't ended.

I think you have it backwards. Quenton Qoherys married Edmyn Tully's daughter. There's no mention of any Qoherys women marrying that I'm aware of.

Martin went ellipsis happy when writing dance. All the other books have like 10-15 instances, Dance has 881. Especially weird when you consider part of Dance and Feast were written at the same time.

I beg your pardon. I am usually able to make sense of your posts and have been happy to read them. I just can't make sense of the one I quoted, though. Please, can you point me towards what I am missing?

Archived