Wow, I never noticed that... v.10

Lost Melnibonean

When Jon finds Ghost :

"He must have crawled away from the others," Jon said.

"Or been driven away," their father said, looking at the sixth pup. His fur was white, where the rest of the litter was grey. His eyes were as red as the blood of the ragged man who had died that morning. Bran thought it curious that this pup alone would have opened his eyes while the others were still blind.

How could the other pups have known Ghost was different, if they were blind because they hadn't opened their eyes yet ?

When Jon finds Ghost :

How could the other pups have known Ghost was different, if they were blind because they hadn't opened their eyes yet ?

Smell. However, I suspect Ned may have meant the mother direwolf had driven the white pup away. This might parallel Ned's knowledge that the mother of his own children (Cat) wanted drive away the different child (Jon).

Whaaaaaaaaat? O.O

at the end of the Sworn Sword:

“Drowned?” said Dunk.

“I never suspected that one man could swallow so much water, not even a man as large as you, ser. Count yourself fortunate that I am ironborn. The priests of the Drowned God know how to drown a man and bring him back, and I have made a study of their beliefs and customs.”

technically it were the priests who invented it, but he studied it and used it for the not religious purpose.

Smell. However, I suspect Ned may have meant the mother direwolf had driven the white pup away. This might parallel Ned's knowledge that the mother of his own children (Cat) wanted drive away the different child (Jon).

Jon thinks it was the other pups

They had been riding off with the other pups, but Jon had heard a noise and turned back, and there he was, white fur almost invisible against the drifts. He was all alone, he thought, apart from the others in the litter. He was different, so they drove him out.

but I find your version better !

When the elder brother on the Quite isle is speaking of finding the rubbies from Rhegars breast plate he mentioned the river brings them many things including shinning swords.

First off is there a specific sword he is refrencing or just a general swords. Perhaps he's referring to LIONS TOOTH that Arya threw into the river. Maybe a Valyrion Steel sword of importance.

When the elder brother on the Quite isle is speaking of finding the rubbies from Rhegars breast plate he mentioned the river brings them many things including shinning swords.

First off is there a specific sword he is refrencing or just a general swords. Perhaps he's referring to LIONS TOOTH that Arya threw into the river. Maybe a Valyrion Steel sword of importance.

I've wondered about this quite a bit. It seems likely the sword washed ashore on Quiet Isle but I can't anticipate a good literary reason for Lion's Tooth to make another appearance. It was not Valyrian steel; Joffrey is dead. (Perhaps Jaime will be shocked to recognize it in the hands of the BWB before Lady Stoneheart is revealed to him. This might close the circle subtly on the Trident incident with Joffrey, Arya, Micah, etc. Or not.)

More likely, however, is that one or more significant lost Valyrian swords will be discovered in the undercellar in the HOBaW in Braavos. Brightroar, for instance, would make an impact on the Lannisters.

I've wondered about this quite a bit. It seems likely the sword washed ashore on Quiet Isle but I can't anticipate a good literary reason for Lion's Tooth to make another appearance. It was not Valyrian steel; Joffrey is dead. (Perhaps Jaime will be shocked to recognize it in the hands of the BWB before Lady Stoneheart is revealed to him. This might close the circle subtly on the Trident incident with Joffrey, Arya, Micah, etc. Or not.)

More likely, however, is that one or more significant lost Valyrian swords will be discovered in the undercellar in the HOBaW in Braavos. Brightroar, for instance, would make an impact on the Lannisters.

Sorry, I did not intend to infer Lions tooth was Valyrian steel. I was referring to other lost swords as the original count of valyrion steel swords by tyrion IIRC was much higher than the known swords in the series.

Sorry, I did not intend to infer Lions tooth was Valyrian steel. I was referring to other lost swords as the original count of valyrion steel swords by tyrion IIRC was much higher than the known swords in the series.

Oh, you did not imply it was Valyrian. That was just part of my musings on a potential value-added storyline for LT to reappear. I am certain many swords have been lost in that river and could have ended up on QI. I believe there might have been a thread about Dark Sister at one time where it was suggested that it was on QI. But I'm glad you caught that line because I too found it very intriguing in a potentially foreshadowing way.

Some of us think it's possible Rhaegar fought with Dark Sister on the Trident and it was just never mentioned. (The sword itself is never once mentioned in the main series.) If it somehow fell into the deep part of the river that might explain it's apparently not being around anymore.

The shining swords the river brings to the Quiet Isle may also be their weilders. Former shining fighting men finding peace on the quiet isle, like Elder Brother himself or some grave digger.

Very nice. Shiny swords beaten into plowshares...

Some of us think it's possible Rhaegar fought with Dark Sister on the Trident and it was just never mentioned. (The sword itself is never once mentioned in the main series.) If it somehow fell into the deep part of the river that might explain it's apparently not being around anymore.

Thanks, RH. I do anticipate Dark Sister to reappear. If it is on QI, then Arya's return to the Trident area could close the circle on that episode with Joffrey/Micah/Nymeria. And she is a bit of a 'dark sister' these days. Interesting idea.

oh, this one is a great catch!

i've interpreted this part a bit differently - he wasn't urging the wildlings to avenge Stannis (although he would certainly protect his family) but deemed the 'creature who makes cloaks from the skins of women' too dangerous to live and asked them to join him to destroy Ramsey because of this reasoning.

Didn't the Mance's wilding host contain some cannibals? I just don't see those dudes being moved into action cause Ramsay likes to skin people. I think the bigger motivation for the Free Folk woulda been Ramsay's capture and treatment of the Mance and the spear wives, but as Tormund explains earlier, the wildings believed that the Mance had already been burned. On the other hand Jon was the one that let them pass the Wall to escape the Others, so they probably would followed him anyway.

In a Sansa chapter from Game of Thrones just after Ned dies she says:

Frog-faced Lord Slynt sat at the end of the council table wearing a black velvet doublet and a shiny cloth-of-gold cape, nodding with approval every time the king pronounced a sentence. Sansa stared hard at his ugly face, remembering how he had thrown down her father for Ser Ilyn to behead, wishing she could hurt him, wishing that some hero would throw him down and cut off his head.

And knowing what we know I thought it was pretty interesting.

Yep. I'm making a small Jaime re-read and it's amazing all the things that he does that contradict what he says aloud.

I would say the reason has to do with mommy issues. Cersei answered pain of losing their mother with spite and anger against Tyrion, while Jaime repressed it. He ends up confiding only in women because of that..

*Feels sorry for Jaime*

Didn't the Mance's wilding host contain some cannibals? I just don't see those dudes being moved into action cause Ramsay likes to skin people. I think the bigger motivation for the Free Folk woulda been Ramsay's capture and treatment of the Mance and the spear wives, but as Tormund explains earlier, the wildings believed that the Mance had already been burned. On the other hand Jon was the one that let them pass the Wall to escape the Others, so they probably would followed him anyway.

well, I don't think the wildlings would want to avenge Stannis either (i don't remember which wildlings were cannibals in the books, but cannibals can mean different things - ritualistic cannibalism would be different from evil cannibalism for lulz). I absolutely agree that their main motivation is to 'help' Jon, whom they respect and probably at least some of them hope to plunder North or simply like to fight. And i think many would want to avenge Mance.

What I meant previously is that Jon puts emphasis on how evil and dangerous Ramsey is in his speech, and Stannis and his family are secondary. And I don't think revenge for Stannis is important for the "did he kill the boy" question.

Thanks, RH. I do anticipate Dark Sister to reappear. If it is on QI, then Arya's return to the Trident area could close the circle on that episode with Joffrey/Micah/Nymeria. And she is a bit of a 'dark sister' these days. Interesting idea.

What Joffrey/Micah/Nymeria circle are we talking about?

I've read that chapter more than a few times and I'm drawing a complete blank! Thanks....

Archived