Wow, I never noticed that... v.10

Lost Melnibonean

When Jon finds Ghost :

How could the other pups have known Ghost was different, if they were blind because they hadn't opened their eyes yet ?

Smell. However, I suspect Ned may have meant the mother direwolf had driven the white pup away. This might parallel Ned's knowledge that the mother of his own children (Cat) wanted drive away the different child (Jon).

I'm sure scents were more important to the little beasts.

He's also the only pup not making any noises.

What Joffrey/Micah/Nymeria circle are we talking about?

I've read that chapter more than a few times and I'm drawing a complete blank! Thanks....

For me, the episode at the Trident was a seismic change for Arya. She hit Prince Joffrey, threw his royal sword in the river, deliberately drove Nymeria away...and unintentionally incriminated Mycah and even Lady, by proxy. To her mind, this was all because she was doing something she was forbidden to do: practice sword-fighting with a boy.

This was a formative moment that sewed the seeds of Arya's path to 'dark sister'. Beyond 'betraying' and losing her wolf, the guilt and pain were enormous, as she finally told her father. And there was no justice to be had in Robert's court - only Cersei's fury.

So my thought was for a narrative circle. A sword went in the Trident; the wolf was driven away; guilt and injustice start Arya on a path. To complete the circle: a sword is recovered from Trident; perhaps the wolf returns; Arya starts a different path - less focused on vengence and more on fighting the true enemy/enemies of humanity.

(Admittedly, that is all too poetic for GRRM. Who knows where Dark Sister is and who knows how Nymeria the Feral might respond to Arya after all this time? This was just speculation on shiny swords washing up QI and what that could mean. Sorry it was so obtuse.)

You might be able to categorize this as an "idea" more than a "detail not noticed" but, GRRM sent Sam to the Citadel for a reason. Sam's most important destiny in the series is that he will be the maester to record the history of Dance of Dragons 2.0 and the Long Night 2.0. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the last chapters (if not the last chapter) in the series is of Sam beginning to write the tale.

You might be able to categorize this as an "idea" more than a "detail not noticed" but, GRRM sent Sam to the Citadel for a reason. Sam's most important destiny in the series is that he will be the maester to record the history of Dance of Dragons 2.0 and the Long Night 2.0. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the last chapters (if not the last chapter) in the series is of Sam beginning to write the tale.

What's the shortest time a person has qualified to become a maester?

What's the shortest time a person has qualified to become a maester?

Hmm, true. I don't know how much time will pass from the beginning of WoW and ADoS, but he might not be a maester yet at the end of the series. But he could still begin the story. Does one have to be a maester to write history? Sam is quite bookish after all. I doubt anyone would stop him, especially considering how much first-hand experience he has of the Others and the Watch.

Hmm, true. I don't know how much time will pass from the beginning of WoW and ADoS, but he might not be a maester yet at the end of the series. But he could still begin the story. Does one have to be a maester to write history? Sam is quite bookish after all. I doubt anyone would stop him, especially considering how much first-hand experience he has of the Others and the Watch.

I think the George wants him in the Reach to be have a POV near Euron. I wouldna count on him lasting longer than that need.

In A Clash of Kings, Ser Mandon Moore tries to kill Tyrion Lannister. Tyrion is convinced he did so on orders from Tyrion's sister Cersei. But later, when Bronn is trying to dig up dirt on Ser Moore, Varys tells Tyrion "you might be able to dig up some information in the Vale".

Ser Mandon Moore is from the Vale! Could Tyrion be wrong about Ser Moore's motives? Was Ser Moore perhaps bribed by some clever schemer, also from the Vale, someone with (presumably) lots of money, someone who likes to play the Game of Thrones? Someone who has noticed that Tyrion seems distrutful of him in Small Council meetings? Someone who likes to make moves that have seemingly no purpose to confuse the other players?

In other words: Littlefinger! dun dun dunn

In A Clash of Kings, Ser Mandon Moore tries to kill Tyrion Lannister. Tyrion is convinced he did so on orders from Tyrion's sister Cersei. But later, when Bronn is trying to dig up dirt on Ser Moore, Varys tells Tyrion "you might be able to dig up some information in the Vale".

Ser Mandon Moore is from the Vale! Could Tyrion be wrong about Ser Moore's motives? Was Ser Moore perhaps bribed by some clever schemer, also from the Vale, someone with (presumably) lots of money, someone who likes to play the Game of Thrones? Someone who has noticed that Tyrion seems distrutful of him in Small Council meetings? Someone who likes to make moves that have seemingly no purpose to confuse the other players?

/O/ Good catch. I never thought of it.

Maybe this is obvious but, I was rereading AGoT, and when I read the scene where Khal Drogo falls off his horse ect, and it made me realize the Dothrakis hatred of blood magic may be why blood is not allowed to be spilled in Vaes Dothrak, but other murder is ok.

I do believe Petyr was behind it. But do you believe a knight if the Kingsguard could be bribed like that given their lifestyle? I think must have been some other motivation.

Here are some threads on it...

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/22032-mandon-moore-was-whose-catspaw/

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/90521-who-gave-mandon-moore-the-order-to-kill-tyrion/

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/97920-who-instructed-mandon-moore-to-kill-tyrion/

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/82371-revisiting-mandon-moore-and-the-battle-of-the-blackwater/

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/72655-who-do-you-think-tried-to-get-tyrion-killed-during-blackwater/

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/110327-was-littlefinger-the-one-that-orchestrated-the-assassination-attempt-of-tyrion-at-blackwater/

Sansa Fairy Tale parallel: Instead of Prince Charming, she married one of the dwarfs. Thanks to Light a wight tonight for helping me realize this.

ETA: Tyrion is also associated with mines, the Lannister Gold Mines. And Sansa is associated with apples. (Ref: The Sansa Apple and Idunn/Sansa parallels)

Which cousins did Tywin imprison?

" and every family has its drooling cousins." Tyrion signed another note. The parchment crinkled crisply as he slid it toward the paymaster. "There are cells down in the bowels of Casterly Rock where my lord father kept the worst of ours."

Tyrion XII, Dance

I had always read Tyrion joining the Secon Sons as a step for him to grt closer to Daenerys and for Brown Ben to return to her good graces. That's probably what will happen but that's not what they intended at the moment...

That jape did not please Brown Ben. "Stay away from the whores," he warned. "Most o' them are poxy, and they talk. You're not the first escaped slave to join the company, but that don't mean we need to shout your presence. I won't have you parading about where you might be seen. Stay inside as much as you can, and shit into your bucket. Too many eyes at the latrines. And never go beyond our camp without my leave. We can dress you up in squire's steel, pretend you're Jorah's butt boy, but there's some will see right through that. Once Meereen is taken and we're away to Westeros, you can prance about all you like in gold and crimson. Till then, though "

Tyrion XII, Dance

Ben still intends to sack Meereen. He must believe Daenerys dead or fled. After sacking Meereen Ben intends to tske Tyrion to Westeros to claim the Rock, a formidable task for 500 sellswords, even after Tywin's death. Tyrion must have told him about Aegon. Tyrion expected Daenerys to return, though.

This could be used to support A+J=T...

"Is it true the chamber pots in Casterly Rock are made of solid gold?" Kem asked him.

"You should not believe everything you hear. Especially where House Lannister is concerned."

"They say all Lannisters are twisty snakes."

"Snakes?" Tyrion laughed. "That sound you hear is my lord father, slithering in his grave. We are lions, or so we like to say. But it makes no matter, Kem. Step on a snake or a lion's tail, you'll end up just as dead."

Tyrion XII, Dance

The George has described Daenerys's dragons as snakes.

I had always read Tyrion joining the Secon Sons as a step for him to grt closer to Daenerys and for Brown Ben to return to her good graces. That's probably what will happen but that's not what they intended at the moment...

Tyrion XII, Dance

Ben still intends to sack Meereen. He must believe Daenerys dead or fled. After sacking Meereen Ben intends to tske Tyrion to Westeros to claim the Rock, a formidable task for 500 sellswords, even after Tywin's death. Tyrion must have told him about Aegon.

Or Ben is already thinking of his next contract. He's a sell-sword and westeros is at war. Might be, he just wants to go look for an opportunity.

After Jorah saves Dany from the poisoner, she promises him a sword forged from dragon fire. Will he ever get that sword, and what might it mean if he does?

By a sword forged from dragon fire she just means Valyrian steel. Daenerys would probably have to travel to Qohor with her dragons if she wanted to actually forge him a new one. He could get Longclaw back, especially if Jon gets Dark Sister like some people (but not me) think he will.

Archived