You're the head of a Noble House: Crownlands II

Pod The Impaler

This is the second "Crownlands" scenario. The first was created by James Steller, and can be found here. Also, apologies for the length of this one I've written, it's got an unusually long setup...

You're the head of a noble house, located in the Crownlands, between Duskendale and Rook's Rest, but closer to Rook's Rest. However, your claim to nobility does not run very deep - since your house is Myrish and came into its lordship in unusual circumstances...

You are your father's third child. Your origins are in Myr, with a family line that had some Valyrian blood (since grown much more diverse and less Valyrian), but really made its name starting in the Century of Blood. In Myr your house was involved in trade by sea, banking, and ownership of a Free Company of sellswords. It grew powerful facilitating Myr's other economic activities, and your father was a magister. Your father was an appropriately shrewd and ruthless man for such endeavours. Most notably in terms of this scenario, there was a Westerosi lord who had some dealings with your family bank; this lord was also mad for gambling, a weakness your father recognized. Year after year, the lord piled up huge gambling debts, and your father lent him money. Seeing how this man was rapidly beggaring his house, your father quietly bought out whatever debts the lord owed to others. The lord eventually exhausted his fortune beyond all ability to pay coin. The time came for the debts to be paid, by seizing the collateral - the lord's own lands. Though the lord wished to appeal to higher authorities in King's Landing, your father had cleverly made the debt contracts in Westeros, with the Master of Coin as witness, so the Master of Laws ruled the contracts valid. The Westerosi lord, in his despair, hanged himself in King's Landing. Your Myrish Free Company marched upon the small keep, and kicked the former lord's remaining family out, despite it being midwinter.

However, your father, already ailing in the last year of his life, had no desire to move away from Myr. The new lordship was turned over to you - you were made a lord of Westeros at the tender age of 17. It was a bit of a shock, moving to this barbaric land across the sea - you were proud of your Myrish family, but you thought the challenge would be worthwhile, compared to the endless wars between the Three Daughters.

However, you did take one thing seriously: the need to establish deeper roots in Westeros, and make some concessions to their culture, to throw off the impression you were simply a usurper. First, you created a sigil for your house: a black hawk on light grey (the sky), above a black manta ray in blue (the sea), with the words "As above, so below". Second, you freed the slaves you had brought to your new home (half of them stayed to become your household servants, and half you sent to Braavos), and this move was well-received by the locals. Third, though this was fairly impulsive, you married your spouse, who you met by chance and caught your eye. Your spouse was from House Waxley of Wickenden; 15 at the time. Children came soon after marriage, and there may yet be more. Though your legacy will be half-Westerosi, your spouse is clearly the junior partner in this lordship; the decisions of ruling are yours.

Currently, you have had a few relatively prosperous years while in charge, gathering a moderate amount of swords to defend what's yours. Your captain of the guard is from the Iron Islands, slightly younger than you; up until two years ago, he had been a sellsail captain of one of your Myrish family's ships. Your occasional forays into King's landing to gather information and socialize have indicated to you that most other nobles still consider you a foreigner first and a lord second; they are mostly polite, but you are still pretty low on the social ladder.

It is worth nothing that although the Crownlands has no official overlord, the former house were considered firmly in Duskendale's sphere of influence, and that ended when your family took over; Duskendale might have liked to take over the lands of the former lord, but their offer was rejected as being only a fraction of what your family was owed. Since then, your relationship with the nobles in Duskendale has been peaceful but decidedly frosty. They act like you owe them something, but you have no official allegiance aside from the Iron Throne.

As well, in the last couple of years you have heard rumours that the dispossessed children of the former lord are living in King's Landing. One son is a squire to some Reach knight and likely to receive a knighthood soon, and another one has joined the Gold Cloaks. As well, there is the lord's daughter, some sort of lady-in-waiting in the Red Keep. The talk is they are denouncing you as a foreign usurper who engineered their father's downfall, to anyone who will listen - particularly when any member of the Small Council is present. This may be a problem, as the current Master of Laws is not the same one who ruled in your father's favour. They obviously they have some sort of sponsor as well, since at the time they were chased out, they had nothing, but a cart to ride in and the clothes on their backs - and it takes some wealth to be squired, or serve someone in court.

As for your family...

Your eldest daughter is 12, and has not flowered yet. She is sweet, clever and considered pretty, and has been easy to raise thus far. However, she is well aware of her foreign blood, and not a worshipper of the Seven, being no more interested in it than any other faith. She also seems fascinated by strange tales from around the realm, most of which she hears from the captain of your guards. She has been to Myr once in her life, and King's Landing twice, but seeks to travel more if she can. She looks more Myrish, and her "exotic" looks have been drawing interest from suitors - and some options have come strongly to the forefront lately, meriting some consideration:

The first offer comes from House Staunton, of Rook's Rest. They have a second son, a knight, who is almost 20 and recently widowed. His previous wife died in childbirth, as did the child. Lord Staunton has offered a betrothal and is willing to wait until your daughter is of age in 4 years. There is not much prestige to be found in this match, but they are your neighbours, and he is a good natured lad.

The second offer comes from House Velaryron. They have son (nephew to the Lord) two years older than your daughter, and have stated that your bloodline's Valyrian origins are of some interest to them. The boy is officially a squire, but is reputedly not much of a warrior; he is said to be a skilled navigator at sea. However, your concern is that House Velaryon is far more established and powerful than you are. By marrying your daughter to one of them, you would benefit from their reputation, but it may also reduce your house to being bannermen of Driftmark. As well, your Myrish connections may complicate matters since the Velaryons frequently get involved in the wars between the Three Daughters and in the Stepstones.

The third offer is from a bastard of House Stark, who is 17 years old now, and unwilling to wait more than 2 years for marriage. Though a bastard, this "Snow" is quite close with the rest of his house, and House Stark is one of the most ancient and powerful families in Westeros. However, you also know that Starks are considered savage even among the barbaric Westerosi. This Stark is no exception - a man of rough demeanour, few words, and reputedly a very dangerous warrior who has slain men in both battles and duels. Your captain of guards is on edge each time the man visits. You are not sure why, just passing by, he thought your daughter might make a future wife. It's unlikely your daughter would remain home if married to him, though you cannot say if this Snow would send her to Winterfell or just drag her with him from one military campaign to the next.

Your eldest son, your likely heir, is 8 years old. He is a smart lad, and has that typical Westerosi boys dream of becoming a knight. As you were never a knight before becoming a lord, this would be a concession to Westerosi custom, and you have been seeking to see him fostered by another house. House Mooton of Maidenpool expressed some interest, as well as your spouse's family in Wickenden. As well, you've received some unexpected interest from House Martell, for your boy to be fostered at the Water Gardens. He has a best friend, a boy from House Pyne who is the same age, whom you are currently fostering in your home. This boy acts as your page, but may be called home at any time; he would eventually become a squire, but for someone else. A decision on this would be needed soon, and fostering your son out looks likely to separate him from his friend.

Your last two children are twins - a boy and a girl (non-identical). They are 4 years old, and run about your home like a pair of hellions getting into all sorts of mischief. Recently they had a strange encounter on the road to Duskendale. They say a man on horseback rode up to them, pointed his sword at them, and said they better not go too far from home because it's not safe, before riding away. They could not see the man's face because he was wearing a hood, and they don't remember any insignia on him either. Being little kids, they did not think much of it, but you think this was some sort of threat. The question is, from whom ?

If that were not enough, your Myrish family is threatening to intrude on your little domain as well. Your second elder brother leads the family's sellsword company. After several years warring, he somehow acquired a Dothraki wife, the sister of some khal. He's had children by her, and sent you a message that he will be leaving Myr with his family for a while, and coming to visit you with his "household"; he is being evasive about the reasons why. As well, one of your sisters has scorned marriage and become a R'Hillor worshipper, and is going to come over with him, only she is not intending to stay long with you, but set off on some pilgrimage throughout Westeros and spread her faith. The local septon is one who is not open-minded about other religions; however, he also has tutored many a squire in the faith, as it pertains to becoming a knight.

To top it all off, lately you have been noticing something odd with your spouse the last couple of months. Having a maester serving in your house is another of those things which Westerosi lords must apparently have. Your previous one was an old man of no great repute, who had served the previous lord. After his death, the new maester was fresh from the Citadel and considerably younger. He has been with you for almost 2 years now, and your spouse and he seem to have grown quite close; they seem to share knowing glances, laugh at their own small private jokes, and so on. It just seems ... odd.

So considering all the above, what do you make of the situation and how would you govern your family and manage your lordship ?

Wow. The detail put into this is amazing.

Let's see....

Well, I'm going to marry my daughter to the neighbour's boy. It'll be good to keep my family close with those three children of the former lord going around.

I'll also send my boy to the Martells. His friend is going to leave anyway so there is little point in allowing him to ruin his chance with such a prestigious house. Plus he'll be too far away for my enemies to reach him.

My twins I guard carefully, and I arrange for more guards around my home.

This will also be necessary for my brother, who might try to take my land from me.

I also have my captain of the guard find a cheap sellsword who will smother the Maester with a pillow. I'll blame it on the children of the former lord, calling on the incident against my twins, as well as the word of the Master of Coin who witnessed the old agreement. The new Master of Laws will have to listen to that and it will be a good warning to my enemies that I will not be bullied.

I marry my daughter to the Velaryon, if the Targs are the rulers that will get me just a smidge closer to royalty, and I need strong allies against the former lord's children and my brother.

I send my son to house Mooton, since he needs to be close by in these dangerous times.

My twins I send to the Martells instead, since that would keep them safe from the stranger with a sword.

I send a raven to the Citadel, demanding a replacment Maester.

My sister I banish to Myr, I don't need her spreading R'hllor around and keeping our family as foreigners.

My daughter will be married to the Velaryons, my son will be sent to Dorne, and my twins get a new bodyguard to look after them.

The maester has a tragic accident, and my brother is poisoned if he makes any threats against me or my family.

As for the ex-lord's children, I'll have them killed as trespassers if they're seen on my lands. The Master of Laws might be replaced, but the Master of Coin is still around and knows my ownership is legitimate. I'll lodge a complaint if they try to harass me or my household.

Hmm... Did I stump people, or is it a case of TL;DR ? :frown5:

Tl. But I read.

Don't get me wrong, this is a great scenario, but the background is way too unnecessarily complex.

Give us the bare bones. And I like to make my own house insigna and words!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That being said:

1. Betroth my daughter to the Velaryon. It will be the best decision for her and our house. We will have strong connections to a powerful house, she will be with someone her age, and she will be safe. Safer than with that Northern wildling no doubt. And so what if we become vassals to Driftmark? Its better than being an extinct House. Its more than what we could have expected any way. Also, she maybe the key to halting the conflict between the Velaryons the Myrish.

2. I will send my son to the Water Gardens. Distance will keep him safe.The Dornish are different and will probably be more accepting of him. Also they are very powerful. I need such allies.

3. Warn my youngest children not to leave the House. Order my Captain to guard them day and night, and to introduce strangers that approach them without my leave to the Old Way. Order my guards to be ever watchful around our borders and to apprehend any stranger.

I will have to think of the hooded man as either an honorable enemy or a secretive friend. Either way he pointed his sword at my children and that will not be forgotten. Neither will it be forgotten that he spared them and gave them warning

4. Welcome my brother as he comes with armed men tell him of my troubles, tell him that I have enemies and that without his help our house may die. Tell him the old riddle in our family: Both stand alone, and are made of the sum of many. One is of stone, one is of steel. Together they are death.

6. Tell my sister that if she dares to preach, I will lock her in her room. I want no trouble with the Seven or their followers. These people are amazing, they have lived thousands of years respecting each others religions. I will not be the one to introduce discord in such coexistence.

7. Spike the maesters drink, and send him to the Wall. Ask for a new one, an old, wise one. I have enough head aches as it is without some young, inexperienced, man who doesn't seem to fully accept the concept of swearing off women. I will tell the Citadel, and my wife, that Wall has more need of strong young men than I do.

Tl. But I read.

Don't get me wrong, this is a great scenario, but the background is way too unnecessarily complex.

Give us the bare bones. And I like to make my own house insigna and words!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It started out as a much simpler concept. Explaining it, proved ... lengthy. :blushing:

I missed this one.

I agree with those noble kids, I am a foreign usurper. The lands aren't just property of the lord, they also belong to his liege lord (the king) in a way, so that lord shouldn't have been able to put them as collateral or sell them. Also, we used foreign force, we invaded Westeros and attacked the king's bannerman, so the king should've called his banners and crushed us.

My father took a huge gamble, and we were very lucky so far, but it could change.

1. First of all, I need to make sure that I'm really an official lord. Did the king accept my oath? If he did, then I can feel somewhat safe, because the king accepted my as his bannerman and I'm under his protection.

If the king didn't accept my oath yet, then I'm little more than a squatter. I need to make my lordship official. Maybe I can prove myself useful to someone from the royal family or Master of Whispers or Master of Coin. I'm a foreigner who doesn't mind getting his hands dirty, my family has sellswords, and my family has money. I'm ready to do anything to gain friends and the royal blessing.

2. My daughter will marry the Velaryon kid. I'd prefer to marry her to a lord, not some landless boy, but it seems that I'm not getting such offers. No surprise here. Just landless boys and a bastard. I can't marry her to a bastard, that would be another stain on my family's reputation, plus Starks are far away.

Connection with Velaryons is a big step in the right direction. I don't worry about becoming their bannermen. First of all, that couldn't happen without the king "giving" me to them. It's better for the king to have me as a direct bannerman than give me to Velaryons. Secondly, even if it happened, that wouldn't be so bad. I'd rather be a Velaryon bannerman, keep all my lands and feel safe about my lordship than be stuck in a limbo.

3. My son will go to Mootons. It's a powerful respected house, close to my lands. Martells are even more powerful obviously, but they are a bit too exotic. They are almost like foreigners to other Westerosi. Plus they aren't even known for heavy horses and knights. I'd prefer my son to gain typical traditional knight training with a "normal" respected local house like Mootons. I want us to fit in.

I will try to arrange marriage between my son and the former lord's girl (the one who's the lady in waiting). My family made a mistake when they threw the old lord's family out. The boys should've been forced to join the Night's Watch, and I should've been married to the daughter (when she came of age). That would've added some legitimacy to my claim via my wife. And our reputation wouldn't be any worse, we wouldn't have these kids giving me negative PR in King's Landing.

But maybe it's not too late. Maybe I could marry my heir to her. The girl is older than my boy, but that's ok. Hopefully she's a pragmatic woman. She has no lord father to pay her dowry. She may have family friends who got her the lady-in-waiting position, but will they pay a dowry big enough to marry some lord? We will take her without a dowry, and most likely my son is far better than anything she can get. She will be the lady of the house.

Actually, considering that her father was bankrupt, plus he was kind of a loser and even his liege lord didn't side with him, this match is much better for her than anything she would've gotten with her father alive.

I will have to get rid of the girl's brothers. They have a rightful claim and they won't stop pressing it. I should've done that already. Maybe they could fall into some river or off the city / castle wall. Or tears of Lys.

5. My twins. In a few years, one of them will start training to become a sept or septon. My house should appear devoted followers of the Seven.

6. Sellswords, dothraki, R'hllor, is my brother's name Daenerys? :P

It sounds like he's trying to take the house, but he will never be a lord with a dothraki wife. And the king can't close his eyes forever. A foreign army near the capital, red god, a barbarian who sleeps with horses. It's a PR disaster. All of our family will end up back in Myr or dead.

I don't know what I can do here. I guess I will write a letter, but my brother is clearly an idiot, so I doubt that will help. I could try to assasinate him, but he will probably be here before I can arrange something. Maybe I could send a letter to my father and eldest brother, maybe they have more sense. There's not much to work with here.

7. I will send the maester back to the Citadel and ask for another.

• 2 months later...

Well, I think this scenario is good, but very "random".

I think some of my choices depend on who the king is: a Targaryen or a Baratheon(/Lannister)?

I assume that I was sceptical about Westeros, but now I like the place, wants to be a "real Lord" and give the best for my descendants. However it means that sooner or later I won't be welcomed in Myr and maybe the reputation of my original family will fall in Myr. So it's some kind of a choice between the old and the new.

So let's say I really very very like my wife and children and decide to choose them.

If the king is a Targaryen then I marry my daughter to the Velaryon guy. This way I will have a nice ally and come closer to the royal family.

If the king is not a Targaryen, then it means the Lord of Duskendale is a Rykker, since the Darklyns were erased during Aerys. In this case I can wait till my daughter flowers and try to make a better relationship with the Rykkers. If it works out then I try to marry my daughter to them, it could help a lot to my family. If not the Rykkers, then I should find a first son for her. If none of these work then I stay at the 2nd son of House Staunton.

Also there would be an option to marry her to the former Lord's son, but I think the boy would try to oppress my sons who are younger than him and later take over my lands. So a kind of this marriage seems to be a double edged weapon.

My son and heir: the Martells? If I could be sure that my son will have the chance to marry a Martell or some big Lord's daughter in the future then I'd say okay, but I can't know this and Dorne is too far away, I need allies nearby. The Waxleys? I have their daughter as a wife, it's enough. The Mootons? They are not so weak, near to me, would work well. So probably I'd send my son to Maidenpool to be fostered.

How old is the daughter of the former Lord of my lands? If she is 12 of max, then I try to speak with her and propose a marriage between her and my son. Maybe this way would make my relationship better with the Rykkers and other Houses who think I'm a parvenu.

The twins. Maybe offer one or both of them to the Martells?

Probably they would be safe in Dorne and later can come back. However Westerosi people are some kind of sceptical or racist toward Dornishmen and maybe a move like that would make my situation worse in the Crownlands. So the best would be to send only one of them, let's say the girl, to Dorne and keep the boy around, give him more guards and later find a House which fosters him.

I welcome my brother. As soon as he steps my door I offer him and his men salt and bread. I will be friendly with him and if he doesn't know about guest right then I tell him what it is, but not like a threat. Will see how things go. If goes well, then I ask for my brother's help, but not so much, only a few swords to keep me safe.

So my maester is friendly towards my wife. If he breaks his vows and fucks my wife and I know it for sure, then I send him to the Wall if possible or tell this to the Citadel and he'll be punished somehow. Or if everything goes well with my brother, then I ask for a man or slave (if he has any) of his to kill my maester, thus the murderer will break guest right but I spare his life and send him to the Wall, or just make an accident, then ask for a new maester.

Start by getting informers to find out more about the disposessed children. Who is suppling them? Do people take them seriously, or are they dismissed out of hand? Is the Master of Laws honest, or can he be bought off by someone else?

Use my Myrish connections to aquire more wealth and influence. Ask my family to send me glassmakers, and start a controlled trade in glass and telescopes. Also aquire more goods (carpets, lace) which I can sell throughout Westros. Host a tournament or two to win over my neighbours. Allow some trade to come in through Duskendale which will make the lords there more accepting of me and mine.

Allow the daughter to travel a bit more, particularly around the Crownlands. (Well escorted, of course). Wait a year to see if I get any better offers for her hand. If not, probably the Velaryon match. Try and avoid becomming bannermen, and being embroiled in war, but they are an old house and will increase my standing.

My heir. this one depends on who sits the Iron throne. If its a Targ with strong Dornish inluence at court, then Dorne. If not, then Moonton.

Keep my twins close to home for a while. Use my informers to try and find out if was a real threat, or just a friendly warning.

I need my families influence in Myr to improve my position, so I welcome my siblings. I try and limit the household and length of stay of my brother, as such vists are expensive, I try and educate my sister on the nature of gods in westeros, and warn her that she might not be welcome.

Keep an eye on the maester. If I can confirm he's having an affair, arrange an accident.

Archived