Might Lemore be Wenda?

In fact, why is Lemore suspected but not Haldon? Do we know where he comes from? Why he didn't become a full Maester? Yet, unlike Lemore, Jon trusts him with important information. He's right there with him in the Griffin's Roost and he's in charge of sending ravens and letters. Why would I&V send him a woman he so obviously won't confide mostly of his actions when he most likely would trust a man with the knowledge of a Maester, which is exactly what he's doing? :dunno:

Well I don't think Wenda is Haldon.

This is the first Lemore theory I actually like and find plausible. Theories like this one and Lem = Richard Lonmouth are why reading this forum is still worth it, despite the sea of "Howland Reed is the High Septon" bad crackpots and "Let's have some Starkcest, yay!" nonsense.

It's possible yes. I would even say that they sent Lemore to be Jon's "dusky woman" and that didn't work. But if I'd have to choose only one, I think it's Haldon.

We're talking about Lemore being a spy because it's a thread about Lemore. I'm sure there's room on here for a thread about Haldon being a spy if you're so inclined. And again, I don't think it's a case of, "Well we had a quota of one spy and we filled it, we're done."

We're talking about Lemore being a spy because it's a thread about Lemore. I'm sure there's room on here for a thread about Haldon being a spy if you're so inclined. And again, I don't think it's a case of, "Well we had a quota of one spy and we filled it, we're done."

FIne. I let the thread alone, then.

This is the first Lemore theory I actually like and find plausible. Theories like this one and Lem = Richard Lonmouth are why reading this forum is still worth it, despite the sea of "Howland Reed is the High Septon" bad crackpots and "Let's have some Starkcest, yay!" nonsense.

Hey now, we all love us some Starkcest.

Mithras, Don't you think the Arianne sample chapters kind of rule out Melaria? Doran seems to not know anything about Aegon.

I had earlier entertained the idea of it being Mellario or Tyene's mother. But Arianne makes a reference to meeting Tyene's mother at one point not that long ago, which is hard if the woman is living on a boat. And while I'm torn on how much Doran knows about Aegon, I'm not sure the Mellario theory matches up timeline-wise, or if Mellario would know enough about the Faith to be able to teach Aegon.

tbh, I think Mellario, Ashara, Tyenne's mother... all these options sort of clash with the fAegon theory. You can't have both, imo, without coming up with a convoluted explanation as to how Ashara ended up raising a false Aegon, or Mellario got involved in that plot without Doran's knowledge, or Tyenne's mother without Oberyn's....

And if Doran/Oberyn knew, why would they pretent not too? etc. etc.

On this ground alone the Wenda theory has more merit than any other. Tyenne's mother can be dismissed because of her hair color, to, btw. Hair dye does exist in Westeros, but since fAegon, Jon Connington, and Sansa can just 'wash it out' I doubt it's all that good. Lemore bathes daily...and Tyrion makes no notice of her pubic hair being a different color than her hair...

This has always been by far my favourite Septa Lemore theory, despite the zero textual evidence to back it up. It's one of those "wouldn't it be cool ifs" that I'd love to be true but sadly don't think the chances are very high.

I would have thought that if Lemore = Wenda, George would have given s a hint by now, e.g. Jaime recollecting how he and Arthur encountered pregnant Wenda during the KB hunt down and decided to let her go/or failed to capture her etc.

Even if true, I don't see how it could be particularly significant for the story (particularly for an average reader who barely remembers Wenda and knows nothing about the Toyne family history) compared to her being just a soiled septa with a checkered past.

Wasn't that also the case with the few little mentions of Jon Connington in the previous volumes, which an average reader probably did not even register, leading to the reveal that Old Griff = JonCon?

The main series, Dunk & Egg and TWOIAF contain a bunch of minor character "mysteries" and revelations, some of which aren't even particularly significant for the story as a whole. It's not like we ever particularly needed to know which Targaryen Olenna was betrothed to, but we still got to know it. I don't know if the Toyne's family history is supposed to be relevant, but learning about it immediately made me some 100 times more sympathetic to Simon Toyne, without even getting to actually know him.

Wasn't that also the case with the few little mentions of Jon Connington in the previous volumes, which an average reader probably did not even register, leading to the reveal that Old Griff = JonCon?

Yes.

My general rule of thumb is that if something/someone comes up more than once, they're probably there for a reason. Both Wenda and the Toynes fit the bill. And Merrett going to his doom is a great way to introduce the backstory. People are so focused on him that they don't realize they're being fed exposition.

I don't think we are given a hair color, no.

The wiki says that it is unknown what her fate was, so I find that to be particularly eyebrow-raising. I like this OP. Seems far more likely than Ashara Dayne

I have a guess - translation. I'm saying this because in the Bulgarian translation 'fair' for Wenda was translated as blonde and not as pretty

Apple - that is a good theory - not disagreeing with it. Just wanted to say that in my mind the fawn is white, because iron gets white-hot before being branded. So not sure that we should look into the 'white' for some evidence - it could just be that.

I have a guess - translation. I'm saying this because in the Bulgarian translation 'fair' for Wenda was translated as blonde and not as pretty

Apple - that is a good theory - not disagreeing with it. Just wanted to say that in my mind the fawn is white, because iron gets white-hot before being branded. So not sure that we should look into the 'white' for some evidence - it could just be that.

I'd take the translations with a grain of salt. Fair has multiple meanings in English and it could just be a matter of the translator coming down on one side over the other for whatever reason.

I also think the "white-hot iron" thing is a pretty big reach. Especially when we have a family sigil in the area that consists of actual white fawns, plus the septa possibility.

I have really loved this theory, but I always thought it was just an attractive what-if crackpot. It's great to see that there actually is a connection between Wenda and Lemore and therefore some textual evidence to back this up. It's a much better theory than Lemore being Ashara, and who better than Maid Marian to educate the future King about his duty to the people?

The wiki page about Maid Marian actually has some very interesting parallels if we accept that Wenda=Lemore. Maid Marian was apparently originally a personification of Virgin Mary (soiled septa, anyone?) and in later versions a noblewoman who frequently disguised herself to be able to roam the countryside freely. The historical inspiration is an English noblewoman who had to flee England after an attempt to assassinate the King.

So we have a connection to the Faith, noble origins, disguise and exile.

I'd take the translations with a grain of salt. Fair has multiple meanings in English and it could just be a matter of the translator coming down on one side over the other for whatever reason.

I also think the "white-hot iron" thing is a pretty big reach. Especially when we have a family sigil in the area that consists of actual white fawns, plus the septa possibility.

Oh yes totally - didn't make myself clear on the translation thing. I am saying that in this case the translation is wrong and gives a sense of colour and /or complexion, while Martin didn't intend to and I do agree her hair has never been given to us. The poster who I quoted said that they didn't remember why they had the feeling she was blonde - I just gave an explanation that seems rather possible.

On the Cafferen thing - yeah, probably. I wouldn't say mine was a huge reach until hindsight (didn't know about Cafferen) because you literally get a white fawn on your ass. But yeah, now that I think about it, the other thing makes more sense,

Archived