A Dayne House Words PSA

This exchange occurred in the Daynes of Winterfell thread, but it could have implications for some theories.

Elio said GRRM doesn't release their words because it would be a giveaway. "Dawn brings the light"

I think I was joking at the time. In fact, the reason George didn't want the words he created for them released was that he wasn't particularly happy with what he had come up with at that time and figured he'd come up with something better.

I know a lot of people think Dawn is/was Lightbringer and that the mysterious Dayne words that "would give too much away" would support that theory if we knew them. So there's your clarification.

Obviously it doesn't mean that Dawn isn't/wasn't/can't be Lightbringer. But the idea that the author is hiding something important by not giving up the house words can dissipate.

Fast forward 12-15 months, and Elio will claim to have been joking about his recent post. ;)

Btw, I think it's pretty interesting that the Targaryens have Dayne blood, via Maekar's wife. Obviously it's not House Dayne, but it could explain if someone like Jon ended up wielding it.

I'm torn on that. On the one hand, yeah, Jon could in theory have a claim to Dawn by having Dayne blood. Yet at the same time it just seems like a technicality to me. I'd rather an actual Dayne got it.

I think Elio's idea was that the Dayne's were essentially holding it for AAr. But yeah, it does seem like a technicality, especially considering it's going back a few generations.

Archived