Season 5 Trailer Released

Westeros

On to something else first - I take the book and show as different entities, like others do. One suggestion I'd like to make, and it cuts through everything surrounding D&D's direction for the show. Why not watch the show as a maester's eye-view of events in GRRM's books?

it makes sense of all the changes of plots, additional and missing characters. Also, this matches with the recent book's style of presentation, which was written by a maester, using material written by other maesters for older history. Plus, there are the interjections from another maester here and there. Think about it.....

I don't mind some of the changes, particularly if they give a chance for someone to act, and/or to move the book plot along.

With this in mind, I'm going to offer this. No Pink Letter.

If, as I think it can't be avoided, Jon takes matters into his own hands, he's going to split the NW by one specific and significant event. Janos Slynt acted very cowardly when Mance lead the wildlings attack. He broke the NW oath, essentially.

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death." - Slynt lost it on top of The Wall. It forced an action to send him down to stand with Thorne. He failed to do that, choosing to run and hide.

"I shall live and die at my post." - Self-explanatory.

"I am the shield that guards the realms of man. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch....." - Where did Slynt keep to this while he hid away?

Three elements there mentioning life and death. Where is Slynt innocent? He has no honor. It's acceptable to be afraid, and who wouldn't be? Grenn didn't falter, and he must've known he was likely to die. Olly stepped up too, and he's only a kid. Thorne took a mighty wound too, doing his bit. Does Jon have any alternative? I'm not sure what the usual penalty is but, The Wall looms ever-present. I'd be drawn to thinking it'd be to be left to hang from the top, for all to see as an example.

Maybe that's the way D&D may take it.... or.....

Slynt always complains and keeps saying he's got friends.... Jon gets really pissed off and.... Longclaw swings into action.

As other things have changed at The Wall, with Davos being there, certain characters missing, events may need re-shaping and changing. The Pink Letter may go anyway.

The thing that leads to a scene likely to be in E09 is NW reaction to Jon's action, being with this execution and everything else going on at The Wall. (Stannis + Wildlings = various skirmishes) There's something that's orchestrated by Thorne (who hasn't liked Jon from day one), but it may include someone Jon's come to trust. There'd be no need for this letter, which works well in the book but may not transfer to TV all that good. Words are wind and actions speak louder than words. They just don't like all that's going on. The NW don't meddle, therefore don't meddle back.... Total bad blood situation brewing.

So, there's a mutiny within the NW, effectively to oust Jon and install Thorne. He'd have good reason to dislike Jon even more, other than Slynt's one of his cronies. That would additionally emphasise the poor state of the NW.

Is there any need of the Pink Letter now?

I don't get the hatred for the song. Worked well enough for me. Maybe I just like David Bowie songs.

As for the chnges from the books: it's an adaptation, shit will change. Get over it already. I also hope they can make something good out of the 2 tedious books in the series.

I think I recall someone (either a director from the series or GRRM) stating that season five will not give more info than the booksreaders know up to this point (I think it was because of questions about Bran, and it was stated that we will not see him, nor anything post aDwD). But looking at this trailer, I don’t know it’s true.

I can see two things happening:

1. They said this, because we will see a big difference in storyline (Jaime in Dorne, Varys supposedly supporting Dany, etc.) Therefor, the show might not have any big book spoilers (yet).

2. They manage to keep the story in line with the info we get in aDwD.

The second option isn’t very likely, but I was quite sure about the statement (maybe someone can confirm with a quote?)

Anyway, I don’t really mind the series taking a turn. Let’s be realistic. You can’t put all that info in 10x50 minutes and expect that everybody understand it. Especially about all the characters (My GF doesn’t understand some things half the time and she keeps asking me: Who the hell is this again?)

I think we should keep the show and the books separated and accept that there are (big) difference’s. At least be happy we don’t see a ‘under the dome’ being pulled off. That tv show is so disappointing.

i liked the trailer although it did seem to drag on a bit! I am so happy to have the first three books adapted for TV that I just don't feel as bothered anymore especially as the changes will be a lot bigger as the show moves forward.

I'm annoyed they included Maggy. Pink Letter I surely won't miss, nor fAegon. Too many plots and POVs and no way wrap it up coherently. There would have been, if Feast and Dance weren't such tremendous wastes of space. World building should be saved for the world book, but that didn't even happen.

I'm just so hyped for more Sansa stuff since I'll finally find out what she gets up to after like 10 years.

I agree that there will be no Pink Letter in the show. George will want to handle it in the books and the show writers can do it without the PL. After all, they are diverging from the books very fast.

I doubt the Pink Letter will be omitted so George can handle it in the books. More likely it will be because the show seems to prefer straight forward plots and interactions than the ambiguous events or tricks (people switching, dead/not dead) that are so prevalent in the books.

^Yeah they really don't leave anything open. They zoomed in on Olenna during Joffrey's wedding and then made sure her and Littlefinger said it multiple times how they were responsible.

Too many plots and POVs and no way wrap it up coherently.

The main reason we won't be seeing TWOW until at least late 2016, most likely 2017 when the show has finished.

Since they know the ending and are cutting out the new contenders for the Throne they are really making it out to be that Dany will be victorious at the end.

There are several sneaked-photos of what-happens-next in that scene and Tyrion is in one of them.

Crew Dany must have taken position in the Pit when the Sons of the Harpy started an attack and Tyrion was delayed in getting to Dany's group.

Why the attackers have been attacking the crowd is not clear.

The end of this sequence will be one of the biggest (or should be) surprises in the whole series, it was in the book!

Why is there no Ser Barristan, he's the main bodyguard!!

Hopefully they stop screwing him over at some point, they seem to be giving a dual scene that belonged to Ser Barristan to Jorah

Would have loved to see Ser Barristan cutting down Sons of the Harpy, his character has been talked up and is epic but hasn't been done justice

Seems Grey Worm will be killed in place of Quentyn with Missandei watching over him etc on his death bed

I look at the the show as a separate yet ultimately equal counterpart. What I mean is I do believe they are going to do the same ending. They know the ending, Cogman knows the ending, they visited George to be walked through character by character the ending two different times over two different years. I am not of the opinion the ultimate ending will change. If someone is supposed to die they will, what is supposed to happen will get there.

What will change is the path towards the end. How things are positioned, and I think we may already be seeing some of that based on this trailer alone. But personally, I think you're in for a disappointment if you think their ending will be some completely and utterly different thing than George is planning.

Why is there no Ser Barristan, he's the main bodyguard!!

Hopefully they stop screwing him over at some point, they seem to be giving a dual scene that belonged to Ser Barristan to Jorah

Would have loved to see Ser Barristan cutting down Sons of the Harpy, his character has been talked up and is epic but hasn't been done justice

Seems Grey Worm will be killed in place of Quentyn with Missandei watching over him etc on his death bed

Agreed I'd like them to keep that scene for Barristan the Badass especially if there going to make the battle of fire a small kerfuffle in the show

I look at the the show as a separate yet ultimately equal counterpart. What I mean is I do believe they are going to do the same ending. They know the ending, Cogman knows the ending, they visited George to be walked through character by character the ending two different times over two different years. I am not of the opinion the ultimate ending will change. If someone is supposed to die they will, what is supposed to happen will get there.

What will change is the path towards the end. How things are positioned, and I think we may already be seeing some of that based on this trailer alone. But personally, I think you're in for a disappointment if you think their ending will be some completely and utterly different thing than George is planning.

Well that pretty much settles it for me. I may take a look at this upcoming season, but right now I am thinking I will stop watching the show.

I think it was a mistake allowing Bryan cogman unedited and unsupervised writing privledges over entire episodes , although he is a good writer and has done some good work with the show they basically allowed him to undulge himself too much at times at the expense of things that should of been in the show ie the Tysha reveal. I know this because D&D have gone on record as saying they removed that plot because they basically hadn't got the screen time to remind viewers of that story but we can all clearly recall that long and awful story Tyrion told about his cousin Orson and the beetles. It leads to other plot changes that break with the believability of the characters actions the first thing that comes to mind is Tyrions willingness to join Daenerys even though his relationship with her fathers killer his brother Jaime is still very much intact I can't imagine why that would never be an issue for either of them because no doubt if Daenerys were to conquer westeros she would have Jaime executed.

Archived