Jon's "Resurrection"

Fire Eater

This is a topic to discuss Jon's "resurrection." I use quotation marks as I don't think Jon is dead, but comatose, since GRRM isn't fond of full-scale resurrections.

I do think that if you're bringing a character back, that a character has gone through death, that's a transformative experience. Even back in those days of Wonder Man and all that, I loved the fact that he died, and although I liked the character in later years, I wasn't so thrilled when he came back because that sort of undid the power of it. Much as I admire Tolkien, I once again always felt like Gandalf should have stayed dead. That was such an incredible sequence in Fellowship of the Ring when he faces the Balrog on the Khazad-dûm and he falls into the gulf, and his last words are, "Fly, you fools."

What power that had, how that grabbed me. And then he comes back as Gandalf the White, and if anything he's sort of improved. I never liked Gandalf the White as much as Gandalf the Grey, and I never liked him coming back. I think it would have been an even stronger story if Tolkien had left him dead.

My characters who come back from death are worse for wear. In some ways, they're not even the same characters anymore. The body may be moving, but some aspect of the spirit is changed or transformed, and they've lost something. One of the characters who has come back repeatedly from death is Beric Dondarrion, The Lightning Lord. Each time he's revived he loses a little more of himself. He was sent on a mission before his first death. He was sent on a mission to do something, and it's like, that's what he's clinging to. He's forgetting other things, he's forgetting who he is, or where he lived. He's forgotten the woman who he was once supposed to marry. Bits of his humanity are lost every time he comes back from death; he remembers that mission. His flesh is falling away from him, but this one thing, this purpose that he had is part of what's animating him and bringing him back to death. I think you see echoes of that with some of the other characters who have come back from death.

I also doubt that Jon is going to be brought back like UnBeric and UnCat through R'hllor as that would be a trite overuse of that trick. Also, as butterbumps! pointed out, Jon being resurrected that way would leave less point to his story as there would be no way for his character to develop with his memory and mind regressing. Those are the reasons why I think he is comatose. The cold of the Wall could freeze his wounds like it did Ser Adrian Scrope at the Battle of Edgehill.

Jon Wargs Into Ghost

True death came suddenly; he [Varamyr] felt a shock of cold [going into One Eye]

Mance should have let me take the direwolf [Ghost]. There would be a second life worthy of a king.

"Ghost," he whispered . . . He [Jon] never felt the fourth knife. Only the cold.

Jon warged into Ghost in that scene when he was stabbed. His spirit/consciousness is going to spend some time in Ghost. Ghost may bother Marsh and Co akin to Brutus being visited by Caesar's ghost.

Jon's Visit from BranRaven and Visions

Then a gnarled hand seized Jon roughly [in his dream] . . . woke with a raven pecking at his chest

Gnarled is a word often used to describe trees, especially in ASOIAF and Bloodraven is basically part tree right now. BR has been trying to contact Jon for a while, and I think he will contact Jon while is comatose like he did Bran in AGoT, possibly as the three-eyed crow.

"Sometimes I dream about it," he said. "I’m walking down this long empty hall. My voice echoes all around, but no one answers, so I walk faster, opening doors, shouting names. I don’t even know who I’m looking for. Most nights it’s my father, but sometimes it’s Robb instead, or my little sister Arya, or my uncle." The thought of Benjen Stark saddened him; his uncle was still missing. The Old Bear had sent out rangers in search of him. Ser Jaremy Rykker had led two sweeps, and Quorin Halfhand had gone forth from the Shadow Tower, but they’d found nothing aside from a few blazes in the trees that his uncle had left to mark his way. In the stony highlands to the northwest, the marks stopped abruptly and all trace of Ben Stark vanished.
"Do you ever find anyone in your dream?" Sam asked.
Jon shook his head. "No one. The castle is always empty." He had never told anyone of the dream, and he did not understand why he was telling Sam now, yet somehow it felt good to talk of it. "Even the ravens are gone from the rookery, and the stables are full of bones. That always scares me. I start to run then, throwing open doors, climbing the tower three steps at a time, screaming for someone, for anyone. And then I find myself in front of the door to the crypts. It’s black inside, and I can see the steps spiraling down. Somehow I know I have to go down there, but I don’t want to. I’m afraid of what might be waiting for me. The old Kings of Winter are down there, sitting on their thrones with stone wolves at their feet and iron swords across their laps, but it’s not them I’m afraid of. I scream that I’m not a Stark, that this isn’t my place, but it’s no good, I have to go anyway, so I start down, feeling the walls as I descend, with no torch to light the way. It gets darker and darker, until I want to scream." He stopped, frowning, embarrassed. "That’s when I always wake.

Jon mentions in specific detail a dream he has. He was always scared of what is waiting down there in the crypts, and he wakes up before he can finish it. Now that he is comatose, he has no choice but to complete the dream.

The mention of dreams reminded him. “I dreamed about the crow again last night. The one with three eyes. He flew into my bedchamber and told me to come with him, so I did. We went down to the crypts. Father was there, and we talked. He was sad.”
“And why was that?” Luwin peered through his tube.
“It was something to do about Jon, I think.” The dream had been deeply disturbing, more so than any of the other crow dreams.

I would sooner let Jon enjoy these last few days. Summer will end soon enough, and childhood as well. When the time comes, I [Ned] will tell him myself.

From Bran's dream, we can infer that what is waiting down in the crypts for Jon is Ned to tell Jon the truth of his heritage.

He [Ned] walking through the crypts beneath Winterfell . . . "Promise me, Ned," Lyanna's statue whispered. She wore a garland of pale blue roses, and her eyes wept blood.

"Can I [Jaime] forget someone [his mother, Joanna] I never knew?" He did know her, but it had been so long

I think we may also find Lyanna down there from what we get in Ned's crypt dream. I think Jon's reaction to seeing his mother Lyanna would be similar to Jaime's: someone he never knew but deep inside does know who she is. Many characters in fantasy receive visions when in a death-like/near-death state like Paul Atreides in Dune, and Seoman Snowlock in Memory, Sorrow and Thorn.

Paul Atreides in Dune went into a coma after drinking the Water of Life, and he gained knowledge about his heritage as well as past, present and future. Seoman Snowlock of Memory, Sorrow and Thorn also receives visions from the past while he is in a near-death state, especially visions regarding his royal heritage and how some visions relate to the present situation while he is the void between life and death. Those visions are shown by a child proficient in the Road of Dreams, and I think a child becoming skilled at greenseeing as of ADwD, Bran, will show Jon these visions. Jon will likely gain knowledge about his heritage as well, and may possibly get a slew of visions from BR pertaining to past, present and future. I think he will get glimpses of his parents' relationship in the past, possibly including Ned's promise to Lyanna. The visions of the present/future may be Dany setting sail for Westeros. As to any other visions of the future, I think they may be anything, including the burning down of KL.

Two Kings to Wake the Dragon

As to how he will be revived, as MMD said, only death can pay for life. It will be one life by fire, the other by ice.

The Sacrifice by Ice:

"Marriage is not for you," Theon decided. "When I rule, I believe I will pack you off to the silent sisters."

They (Qarl and Asha) spent the night devouring peaches and each other.

And then her [Asha] back came up hard against a tree, and she could dance no more.

Asha had walked out with Aly Mormont to have a closer look at its slitted red eyes and bloody mouth. It's only sap, she'd told herself, the red sap that flows inside these weirwoods. But her eyes were unconvinced; seeing was believing, and what they saw was frozen blood.

Silent sisters attend the dead, and peaches are in ASOIAF what oranges are in The Godfather. I think Asha will die in the Battle of Ice when she finds herself backed against the weirwood tree, and her blood is spilled onto the weirwood. The title of her last POV is "The Sacrifice" even though she wasn't being sacrificed. Her death will be an unintentional blood sacrifice which will be used by BR and Bran to pay for the life of Jon. Also in MS&T, Seoman Snowlock was returned to his body while he was in a near-death state and in the area between life and death after the sacrifice of Maegwin, the daughter of the late King of Hernystir, the westernmost kingdom of Osten Ard (like the Iron Isles being the westernmost kingdom of Westeros).

I know some are saying Theon, but Theon was never crowned king nor used the title. Besides, the expectation is that he will be killed, and I think that is a sign he won't given GRRM builds expectations to toy with them.

The Sacrifice by Fire:

Props to Mithras Stoneborn

Two kings to wake the dragon. The father first and then the son, so both die kings. The words had been murmured by one of the queen’s men as Maester Aemon had cleaned his wounds. Jon had tried to dismiss them as his fever talking. Aemon had demurred. “There is power in a king’s blood,” the old maester had warned, “and better men than Stannis have done worse things than this.”

The Queen’s Men are content with burning Mance and they can burn Mance’s son too without a blinking an eye.

Red-bearded Gerrick Kingsblood brought three daughters. “They will make fine wives, and give their husbands strong sons of royal blood,” he boasted. “Like their father, they are descended from Raymun Redbeard, who was King-Beyond-the-Wall.”

Blood meant little and less amongst the free folk, Jon knew. Ygritte had taught him that. Gerrick’s daughters shared her same flame-red hair, though hers had been a tangle of curls and theirs hung long and straight. Kissed by fire. “Three princesses, each lovelier than the last,” he told their father. “I will see that they are presented to the queen.” Selyse Baratheon would take to these three better than she had to Val, he suspected; they were younger and considerably more cowed. Sweet enough to look at them, though their father seems a fool.

Gerrick and his daughters are kissed by fire. We all know that kisses are not always good. Like the steel kiss which the Dornishman had tasted. We also have this:

Trembling, the girl reached out her hand, held it well above the flickering candle flame.

“Down. Let it kiss you.”

Gilly lowered her hand. An inch. Another. When the flame licked her flesh, she snatched her hand back and began to sob.

Jon was trying to make a point to Gilly, about how gruesome a death by fire was. So the kiss of fire is deadly.

“Let us speak of other matters. Axell, bring in the wildling king, if you would be so good.”

“At once, Your Grace.” Ser Axell went through a door and returned a moment later with Gerrick Kingsblood. “Gerrick of House Redbeard,” he announced, “King of the Wildlings.”

“Gerrick has graciously agreed to give the hand of his eldest daughter to my beloved Axell, to be united by the Lord of Light in holy wedlock,” Queen Selyse said. “His other girls shall wed at the same time—the second daughter with Ser Brus Buckler and the youngest with Ser Malegorn of Redpool.”

Gerrick Kingsblood was a tall man, long of leg and broad of shoulder. The queen had dressed him in some of the king’s old clothes, it appeared. Scrubbed and groomed, clad in green velvets and an ermine half-cape, with his long red hair freshly washed and his fiery beard shaped and trimmed, the wildling looked every inch a southron lord. He could walk into the throne room at King’s Landing, and no one would blink an eye, Jon thought.

Wait, was that the same throne room where Aerys had burned Rickard and no one dared to blink an eye? The same Rickard who is said to have southron ambitions which led him to marry his 3 children to southron lords to increase his power and influence? Gerrick is trying to gain power and influence by marrying his 3 daughters to the southron knights. How do you think that will end?

“Gerrick is the true and rightful king of the wildlings,” the queen said, “descended in an unbroken male line from their great king Raymun Redbeard, whereas the usurper Mance Rayder was born of some common woman and fathered by one of your black brothers.”

Although Gerrick was descended from Raymun’s younger brother, Selyse does not know or does not seem to care that. That means they can burn Gerrick and his daughters should they need a sacrifice for some spell. What sort of a man was Ser Axell?

He [ser Axell Florent] was an uncle to Queen Selyse and had been among the first to follow her in accepting Melisandre’s red god. If he is not a kinslayer, he is the next best thing. Axell Florent’s brother had been burned by Melisandre, Maester Aemon had informed him, yet Ser Axell had done little and less to stop it. What sort of man can stand by idly and watch his own brother being burned alive?

He can put his father-in-law to the nightfires without blinking an eye. That is his sort.

“Eastwatch is not safe.” The queen put a hand on her daughter’s shoulder. “This is the king’s true heir. Shireen will one day sit the Iron Throne and rule the Seven Kingdoms. She must be kept from harm, and Eastwatch is where the attack will come.

This suggests they cannot even think of burning Shireen under normal circumstances. And if they do want to burn somebody with a kingsblood, they have Gerrick with the mark of death on him as we saw.

Melisandre is looking for kingsblood for her spells, and Gerrick's name is literally "Kingsblood." I think he will end up being burned by Mel as an offering to R'hllor, but she unintentionally provides the life needed to aid Jon's revival.

Dany simply needed to burn MMD to hatch her dragons from eggs, and I think Mel burning Gerrick would hatch the dragon, Jon Targaryen, from his "egg" (akin to Egg, Aegon's false identity hiding his Targaryen identity).

Two kings to wake the dragon

"Bring in the wildling king [Gerrick]"

"My queen [Asha]"

Both Asha and Gerrick are proclaimed monarchs. Going with what Maester Aemon said regarding Valyrians being gender neutral in language when he was referring to prince/princess, the same is likely true for kings/queens. So the Valyrian phrase of "two kings to wake a dragon" could just as easily mean a king and a queen or two queens. That satisfies the requirements for two kings to wake the dragon.

Val's Role: Jon Snow White and the Last Kiss

Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt

Val stood on the platform as still as if she'd been carved from salt.

“Hard bread, hard cheese, oat cakes, salt cod, salt beef, salt mutton, and a skin of sweet wine to rinse all that salt out of my mouth. I will not die of hunger.”

If we follow the resurrection of Christ as a parallel for Jon, I think Val may draw a parallel to Mary Magdalene who visited Christ's tomb, and was the first to witness his resurrection. Early medieval Christian art portrayed her with very long blond hair, and Val has blond hair reaching to her waist.

Also, Val's name may be derived from Valkyries; mythological women who were portrayed as blue-eyed blondes and wore pure white robes like Val's clothes when she comes with Tormund. They were associated with wolves and ravens (Ghost seems to like her and I think Val may listen to Mormont's raven). They worked in service to Odin, the one-eyed god associated with ravens who were his messengers; one of Bloodraven's mythological references and he could be using Mormont's raven as a messenger. The Valkyries determined who lived and who died in battle with the kiss of death.

Warning Incoming Pot Shrapnel

Under the sea the crows are white as snow.

The light of the half-moon turned Val's honey-blond hair a pale silver and left her cheeks as white as snow.

The last kiss it is called, and many a time I [Thoros] saw the old priests bestow it on the Lord's servants as they died . . . But never before had I felt a dead man shudder as the fire filled him, nor seen his eyes come open.

In "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" as the dwarfs thought Snow White was dead when she was in a coma, and she was kept in a glass coffin (Jon sees ice scraping off the Wall and thinks of glass gardens). This is the part of the theory that I regard to be the most crackpot; Jon, a prince, may wake up the moment Val, called the "wildling princess," kisses him. Also, add in that Valkyries gave the kiss of death to fallen warriors to enter Valhalla to prepare for Ragnarok, marching with Odin against the frost giants, just as Westeros is in a Ragnarok situation with Jon fighting against the Others. Beric and Cat were resurrected through the last kiss which is bestowed on servants of the Lord of Light as they died; a kiss of fire so to speak. I think Jon will wake up when Val gives him a kind of last kiss, only this may be a kiss of ice.

ETA:

Jon did not intend to be remembered as Sleepy Jon Snow.

Sleepy Jon Snow could be a reference to "Sleeping Beauty" where the princess is awakened by a kiss. The original name of the story was "Tale of the Little Briar Rose" and Jon is portrayed as a blue rose in a chink of ice on the Wall. It may be a reverse of that story with the princess kissing the prince awake.

Very nice wrap up. I agree with it mostly. I only have minor disagreements about some details that do not change the overall picture.

I agree that Jon will learn R+L=J from Ned in a dream in the crypts. I think that was his promise to Lyanna, i.e. he would tell Jon about his parents when he comes to age.

The thought of Jon filled Ned with a sense of shame, and a sorrow too deep for words. If only he could see the boy again, sit and talk with him…

Ned was filled with great amount of regret in his last times. He partially accepted Varys’s offer because he thought he would be able to go to the Wall and fulfill his promise to Lyanna by telling Jon about R+L=J. It makes sense to think that Ned has an unfinished business and his spirit still is attached to the earth because of his promise, unable to move on. That is why his spirit lingers in the crypts.

Bran could not recall the last time he had been in the crypts. It had been before, for certain. When he was little, he used to play down here with Robb and Jon and his sisters.

He wished they were here now; the vault might not have seemed so dark and scary. Summer stalked out in the echoing gloom, then stopped, lifted his head, and sniffed the chill dead air. He bared his teeth and crept backward, eyes glowing golden in the light of the maester’s torch. Even Osha, hard as old iron, seemed uncomfortable.

January 03, 1999

HODOR AND THE CRYPTS

After rereading both AGOT and ACOK I was wondering about one question: Why was Hodor not afraid of the crypts under Winterfell at the end of ACOK? In AGOT Hodor was very afraid of the crypts, he wouldn't take Bran down there, but in ACOK he stayed with Bran and Rickon in the crypt for quite a while, how did he stay there if he was so afraid?

Hodor was only afraid of the crypts =at that specific time.= Not before and not after.

George confirmed that Hodor was afraid of the crypts at a specific time. It is obvious that he was afraid of Ned’s spirit in there. Summer and Osha showed similar discomfort regarding the crypts at that particular period.

“Rickon,” Bran said softly. “Father’s not here.”

“Yes he is. I saw him.” Tears glistened on Rickon’s face. “I saw him last night.”

“In your dream…?”

Rickon nodded. “You leave him. You leave him be. He’s coming home now, like he promised. He’s coming home.”

Ned did not promise that he would return while leaving Winterfell (at least on the screen). The only promise of Ned we know of is the one he swore to Lyanna, which had been haunting him for 14 years. His spirit will go to rest only after he tells Jon about R+L=J.

He dreamt he was back in Winterfell, limping past the stone kings on their thrones. Their grey granite eyes turned to follow him as he passed, and their grey granite fingers tightened on the hilts of the rusted swords upon their laps. You are no Stark, he could hear them mutter, in heavy granite voices. There is no place for you here. Go away. He walked deeper into the darkness. “Father?” he called. “Bran? Rickon?” No one answered. A chill wind was blowing on his neck. “Uncle?” he called. “Uncle Benjen? Father? Please, Father, help me.” Up above he heard drums. They are feasting in the Great Hall, but I am not welcome there. I am no Stark, and this is not my place. His crutch slipped and he fell to his knees. The crypts were growing darker. A light has gone out somewhere. “Ygritte?” he whispered. “Forgive me. Please.” But it was only a direwolf, grey and ghastly, spotted with blood, his golden eyes shining sadly through the dark . . .

I think the bloody direwolf is obviously Ned’s ghost. Jon dreamed of going into the crypts and at the end, a sad-eyed grey direwolf spotted with blood was waiting for him. On the way, the Kings of Winter told him that he was no Stark. There seems to be a parallel between this scene and the fever dreams of Dany in which the ghosts of kings told her to run faster and faster until she grew wings and flew. Dany’s dream is about the fulfillment of her destiny. So, we can say that learning R+L=J is related to the fulfillment of Jon’s destiny as he is the Prince that was Promised and his is the Song of Ice and Fire.

In short, the promise of Ned was to tell Jon about R+L=J when he comes to age but he died before he could keep his promise. As a result, his spirit lingers and Jon will talk to him in his dream after going into a coma due to stabbing. Ned will keep his promise and tell Jon about his real parents. That will be the “waking dragon from stone” in the prophecies.

Since the prince that was promised prophecy will be fulfilled from that moment on, I think George can confirm that Jon=TPtwP through Bloodraven in TWoW.

Ghost may bother Marsh and Co akin to Brutus being visited by Caesar's ghost.

I think someone (Mel?) will free Ghost and he will escape before the conspirators find a chance to kill him. While Jon is in the ice cells (probably for three days), Ghost will be out there somewhere and his howling will be heard everywhere in CB. It will be an ominous sign for Bowen.

"Two kings to wake the dragon. First the father, then the son, so they both die kings"

None of this applies to Asha, and I doubt GRRM would've included this bit if it's not going to come true in this way. My guess is still Roose and Ramsay as the sacrifices, having declared themselves KitN, as Barbrey Dustin said they would

I do think Gerrick and his daughters will get burned, but he's no king either

Awesome work FE and MS. MS, I'd disagree with Ned having yet returned to the crypts though ; I sense that this won't happen until his bones have (where are they?). The wolf with golden eyes has to be Summer / Bran IMO, and the spots of blood on him may point at Bran's involvement in the required sacrifice?

"Two kings to wake the dragon. First the father, then the son, so they both die kings"

None of this applies to Asha, and I doubt GRRM would've included this bit if it's not going to come true in this way. My guess is still Roose and Ramsay as the sacrifices, having declared themselves KitN, as Barbrey Dustin said they would

Gerrick is no king, his sacrifice should have no magical effect.

but asha and his unborn son (if she is indeed pregnant) could do the job. :dunno:

I don’t think king’s blood is any more special than normal blood as an ingredient of blood magic. First of all, how can one define who is king and who is not? Second, we have Baelor Blacktyde, Alester Florent and random girls destined to the pleasure houses of Lys. They are all sacrificed in order to summon good winds and it worked in all of the cases.

Dany glimpsed Ser Barristan sliding closer, a white shadow at her side.

“Your Grace,” he said. “I was chosen for the White Swords in my twenty-third year. It was all I had ever dreamed, from the moment I first took sword in hand. I gave up all claim to my ancestral keep. The girl I was to wed married my cousin in my place, I had no need of land or sons, my life would be lived for the realm. Ser Gerold Hightower himself heard my vows … to ward the king with all my strength … to give my blood for his … I fought beside the White Bull and Prince Lewyn of Dorne … beside Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning. Before I served your father, I helped shield King Aerys, and his father Jaehaerys before him … three kings …”

Ghost padded after him, a white shadow at his side.

Ghost ran with them, a white shadow at Jon’s side.

They walked, with Ghost pacing along beside Jon like a white shadow.

White shadows are frequently used to describe the Others, the KG and Ghost. More clues on Ghost giving his blood for Jon’s, like a KG of Jon.

Aemon: "There is power in a king’s blood."

“Never ask me about Jon,” he said, cold as ice. “He is my blood, and that is all you need to know.”

“Grief and noise,” Mormont grumbled. “That’s all they’re good for, ravens. Why I put up with that pestilential bird … if there was news of Lord Eddard, don’t you think I would have sent for you? Bastard or no, you’re still his blood."

Ned is king’s blood. So is Bran. They are blood of both Robb and Jon. Taking Bran as a "king's blood", we can say that there is POWER in "king's blood". The father first, then the son. Ned and Bran will "wake the dragon" by telling Jon that R+L=J and healing his body.

Except last part isn't part of the original prophecy, Melisandre is trying to make do with convenience, and what little she had. If Mance dies his son is king by laws of Westerosi inheritance.

Gerrick is proclaimed King of the Wildlings, and that seems to be enough. I don't think they'd burn his daughters since Axell is betrothed to his eldest daughter, and he could have himself proclaimed the Wildling King.

Awesome work FE and MS. MS, I'd disagree with Ned having yet returned to the crypts though ; I sense that this won't happen until his bones have (where are they?). The wolf with golden eyes has to be Summer / Bran IMO, and the spots of blood on him may point at Bran's involvement in the required sacrifice?

Thank you. Not his bones, but his spirit. I think seeing Ned in the crypts would be ambiguous as to whether it is his actual ghost or a dream construct.

Excellent analysis.

While sacrificing ANY blood may be good enough for raising favorable wind, I really think King's blood is necessary for the "waking dragon" stuff. I still believe Dany got three dragons because not only Khal Drogo and Rhaego were dead, but earlier, Viserys. I think Miri Maz Dur's significance isn't in her death but in the spells she was chanting "to not burn" that kept Dany from burning.

I guess, though, whether a blood sacrifice is needed for Jon depends on if he is dead. If he is just in a coma, he should be able to just wake. Not to discount Val's kiss waking him--I like that and the evidence is good.

But maybe the "king's deaths" (Asha and Theon?) could be used to wake ice dragons or stone dragons.

Is there any evidence at all in the books that sacrificing to the old gods can resurrect life? I believe that ice magic and fire magic are two sides of the same coin. Blood Magic. But we have yet to see the old gods resurrect any one no?

Doesn't it seem more likley that Mel will do some Moqurro type magic to heal his body while Jon is on vacation inside of Ghost?

Victs hand was pretty much fire made flesh.

"The red priestess shuddered. Blood trickled down her thigh, black and smoking. The fire was inside her, an agony, an ecstasy, filling her, searing her, transforming her. Shimmers of heat traced patterns on her skin, insistent as a lover's hand."

"Victarion came back on deck. He was naked from the waist up, his left arm blood to the elbow. As his crew gathered, whispering and trading glances, he raised a charred and blackened hand. Wisps of dark smoke rose from his fingers as he pointed at the maester."

"The arm the priest had healed was hideous to look upon, pork crackling from elbow to fingertips. Sometimes when Victarion closed his hand the skin would split and smoke, yet the arm was stronger than it had ever been."

Point is, Mel seems to know the same magic Moqorro used based on the fact her blood / body seems be fire made flesh also.

I agree with you about the dreams and Ned etc.. But to me it just seems more likley that Mel will heal Jons body. Jon has the blood of the dragon after all.

I think Jon's soul and everything that made him Jon (except his corporeal form) will transfer to ghost. His body will be resurrected by Mel but what comes back will be a shadow of the former Jon, a thrall to Mel's whims and what will eventually become the Nights King 2.0. Ghost and Jon's soul will flee drawn by Bran towards the cave. There Bran will teach him the arts of skinchanging so Jon will take over Hodor and, armed with Dark Sister, he will confront his body regaining control of his mortal coil.

Is there any evidence at all in the books that sacrificing to the old gods can resurrect life?

I think that is what happened in Bran's case. Lady's death was used as a blood sacrifice by Bloodraven and he dumped Bran's soul back into his body and healed him. Jon's case will be very similar.

Archived