Which character do you think the show has left out will be the biggest mistake by D&D for not including them?

Salvador

D&D aren't going to make any omissions that will ruin the show's version of the end game. They know the ultimate fates of the characters. "Mistakes" here is just being used as a synonym for "stuff I miss from the books."

Ah! But if we were only interested in the end game then we'd simply watch the first and last episode of any series.

Cutting out Lady Stoneheart would be a real error on the part of the showrunners. Catelyn's story arc is incomplete - she gets killed thinking that her children are all gone, and also bitterly regretting her heartless treatment of Jon Snow, a motherless child. I haven't even mentioned that she still thinks Jon Snow is her husband's bastard. We don't want her to die unavenged with a soul that is not at rest.

D&D probably think that's a good dramatic end for the character. In Season 2 she was still a major player, being involved in the Baratheon parley, meeting Brienne, and freeing Jaime. But then Season 3, she gets credited for 8 episodes but really only has any sort of presence in 1 of them. So..I dunno. There IS setup and foreshadowing for LSH, with her telling Brienne "I will ask no service of you that might bring you dishonor" and last year they did say her body got thrown in a river. Plus, why introduce the BWB and then not have them come back?

But at this point, I just don't see there being a why, how, when to LSH. Where would you put that reveal? Not at the beginning of the season. The end of the season? 'For The Watch' and Varys's return are much more likely. Heck, the last scene isn't even guaranteed to be a big moment anymore (see: Arya sailing to Braavos). So that leaves the middle. A Stark returning demands a big payoff at the end of that season and Brienne seemingly being hanged doesn't cut it IMO. Especially when logically both S3 and S4 finales were a much better placement for the reveal.

It just sounds like wishful thinking now.

And while LSH is a minor arc in the novels so far, she's still a continuation of a STARK'S story. This series is about the STARKS first and foremost. (last book was to be called A Time for Wolves) Arianne, Greyjoys, fAegon, Connington will all follow in certain degrees of disappointment for being cut, but LSH tops all of them because she is a Stark.

Nope, because some characters important for the endgame were introduced and characterised in the middle.

No. It's clear they didn't introduce both Dorne and the Iron Islands this season because of budget, time and personal preferences. They chose Dorne because the viewers loved Oberyn and got intrigued by its culture etc. It doesn't mean that the Iron Islands or say, Lady Stoneheart are not important for the endgame.

I think mistake is the wrong word being used here. Game of Thrones is filled with interesting characters and subplots that could tell the story just fine. Whether or not D&D include some of these characters isn't going to make or break the show. The show will continue to be the most watched program HBO has ever had, will still receive critical acclaim, and will continue to be nominated for prestigious awards, imo.

I think the biggest exclusions for me deal more with not enough dialogue about past events and already deceased characters. The casuals have no idea about some of the important historically important characters or past-events in the show.

Character wise:

I think from both a storyline and entertainment perspective, it would be a shame if they kept Euron off the show especially after what they did the first 2 seasons to introduce everyone the the Greyjoys, Pyke, the Drowned God, etc. If that just fades, I'd be kinda mad.

Same with Oldtown/Marwyn in my opinion. It's the opener and closer of AFFC and the storyline seems kind of like an important one with just a late introduction.

Marwyn has been mentioned on and off since AGOT so I'd hope he's cast. Especially given the highly visible maesters in the show and Qyburn so far. Not too mention, we've been taught by Luwan about the chains, met Mirri Mazdor, I mean I really hope he's introduced.

Unconfirmed permanent cuts but probably fAegon for the plot, Euron Greyjoy / Victarion Greyjoy for the combination of plot and what they would have brought to the show as characters.

I am pretty happy with the Aegon / fAegon cut as personally I don't think it was a great addition to the story, but I buy into the foreshadowing that the basic storyline is going to be Aegon / Dorne alliance achieve some sort of victory over the collapsing Lannister / Tyrell alliance, then a second Dance Of Dragons occurs when Daenerys (eventually) comes to Westeros and gets into conflict with them, possibly due to Aegon's dubious heritage.

If that is indeed close to what's coming then I am sure the show can get past it with a condensed version only involving one Tararyen claimant, but I think it could have a major effect because of the incidental impacts on a lot of the major characters, from Varys to various Lannister / Tyrell affiliated characters to Daenerys herself. Something like "Dany supported by Varys, Tyrion and Dorne take KL from (Cersei and co??)" goes down a lot differently than "(f)Aegon supported by Dorne and (allegedly) Varys take KL from (Cersei and co??) only to be destroyed by Daenerys (supported by Tyrion?)", and while it might mean a streamlined plot it could mean they have to have radically different alleigences and endings for multiple characters, and major ones too. Not to mention the issue of matching up the timelines, though since I think the way they would get around that is by expediting Daenerys' arrival to Westeros that may not be a bad thing at all.

I'm not sure exactly how much missing Eurom and Victarion (assuming they don't introduce them later) will "bite them in the ass", since at this point I don't think Euron will be getting close to taking King's Landing so it will probably be even easier to excise their whole plotline, but I think it could be the biggest loss in terms of characters and scenes that would have worked well with the show (I'm surprised the show didn't go out of their way to include Euron and his band of freaks, and the Kingsmoot is probably one of the most "Game Of Thrones" type scenes in the entire book 4 and 5). It would make the Iron Islands and their activities (which are dull as dishwater under Balon and "Yara's" leadership) interesting, provide a storyline with some actual momentum while still sticking to book 4/5 material (not that I think they are that concerned about that) and provide another antagonist for TV purposes now that Joffrey / Tywin are gone.

Young Griff

Euron

Lady Stoneheart

Brown Ben Plumm

Jeyne Poole (Technically was cast, but had such a small role that it would be stupid to suddenly reintroduce her. Still they could have a fake Arya just not Jeyne)

Tysha

Strong Belwas (because book Dany would never gamble with Daarios life)

I'm not sure exactly how much missing Eurom and Victarion (assuming they don't introduce them later) will "bite them in the ass", since at this point I don't think Euron will be getting close to taking King's Landing so it will probably be even easier to excise their whole plotline, but I think it could be the biggest loss in terms of characters and scenes that would have worked well with the show (I'm surprised the show didn't go out of their way to include Euron and his band of freaks, and the Kingsmoot is probably one of the most "Game Of Thrones" type scenes in the entire book 4 and 5). It would make the Iron Islands and their activities (which are dull as dishwater under Balon and "Yara's" leadership) interesting, provide a storyline with some actual momentum while still sticking to book 4/5 material (not that I think they are that concerned about that) and provide another antagonist for TV purposes now that Joffrey / Tywin are gone.

So far through 4 seasons they have not they have not excluded a major plot pivot. A couple of the fan favorite sub plots may have nothing to contribute to the end game, I don't care how much it changes the 'vibe' of the GRRM's story.

What I can't figure out is the implications from two excerpts of Winds of Winter what they do about the appearance of the Iron Fleet at Meereen? , even if the don't have the battle to break the siege at Meereen. Victarion would take the place of all the uncles. It really looks , to me, as if there is a major confluence of important plot characters at Meereen, which has implications for the 'invasion' of Westeros. Even tho my impression now is that Invasion Westeros will be more of a 'Calvary to the rescue' in the big dust up with the Others.

Out of all the characters who have been present in the books so far, Lady Stoneheart is the one whose absence I've found most disappointing.

But... It's not really that big of a deal.

And if she never shows up, it may mean she's a minor Quentyn-esque digression. In fact, in that case I would say the odds are quite high that she's not important to the narrative and is just one of GRRM's narrative complications. We won't know until (A) the series is completed and (B) the books are completed. (And because of B, we may literally NEVER know...)

LSH and Lord Manderly because they are fan favorite moments.

Adrienne because this show has been accused of not being sensitive to feminist issues (rape in the Sept of Baelor, Catelyn being the soppy wife rather than the one pushing her husband towards gaining power for their house, the previous ruler of Dorne being a dude (I mean seriously they can't even have an OFFSCREEN female ruler)) and this just adds oil to that flame imo. This damages the show's reputation more than the other cut characters combined imo. And no three bastards cannot replace a legitimate heir, unless the Sand Snakes are considered to be heirs in the show.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still holding out hope for LSH because she's so badass as a character. They introduced Thoros of Myr and unBerric Dondarrion along with the BwB, what a waste if it wasn't meant as a precedence for LSH.

Jeyne Westerling. Unless they had a grand plan making Talisa from Volantis writing letters to her parents on screen. There are book characters heading for Volantis, where there's a big conflict going on, maybe since the book is going in that direction, the show was trying to gently introduce us to Volantis and its people. Since Talisa's family is influential, maybe they'll convince the Volantene triarch to somehow join forces with whomever to crush the Freys and Boltons, I don't know. I'm hoping there's a justification for the change of character, I really do.

The Manderlys, I feel less strongly about this, but I'm now re-reading ADWD, and my eyes got misty when his granddaughter made that speech about loyalty to the Starks. They still have friends and the north truly remembers.

Archived