Which character do you think the show has left out will be the biggest mistake by D&D for not including them?

Salvador

Actually one thing I think the show did absolutely right was the cutting down on the unecessary sideplots and new characters intorduced in DWD and FFC.

Those two books intorduced whole groups of characters that ended up either doing nothing of conseqeunce (Arianne's gang, Aeron) or dying and doing nothing of consequence (Quentyn Martel and Arys Oakheart, both the most superfluous POVs in the whole thing) or more or less just sitting around until perhaps, maybe, possibly getting some relevance to the plot at some point somewhen in th future (FAegon and company, Arianne herself and the rest of Theon's uncles)

Sure the Young Griff and the crew of the Shy Maid were more interesting and entertaining than Dany sitting on her ass in Mereen for far too long, surrounded by annoying characters with repetative names and stupid linguistic quirks (in fact so much that I wished we had been following Faegon since book one instead of watching Daenerys develop Stockholm Syndrom for the horse rapist) sure Arianne is badass and some of the Greyjoys entertaining. but were they necessary to tell the story of the Song of Ice and Fire? Perhaps, perhaps not. I think the show does a good job demonstarting that a lt of those storylines could have been done using already familiar characters thus streamlining the storyline considerably.

Out of these omissions, while I enjoyed the chapters of the Shy Maid the most out of ADWD, I do think that Arianne should have still been on the show. The whole Dorne arc was kinda half assed and Arianne's addition, her scheming with Jamie to get Myrcella out of Dorne might have been more interesting than him and Bronn just waltzing into the Water Gardens. It would have actually given Bronn something to do (becoming Arys) instead of just being there.

Lady Stoneheart is an odd omission, I agree, since now the BWOB doesn't make any sense. Like others I am more upset about the characters/plotlines they just plunged into Limbo (LS, the BWOB, Gendry, alon Asha/Yara). I particularly hope we get Asha/Yara back, since I liked the actress and the character, but the whole Iron Islands plotline seemed just so dull and superfluous...

*SPOILERS*

After reading somewhere that George R.R. Martin said that by D&D not including Willas or Garland Tyrrell, it could come back to haunt them as they will have a big part to play, who else do you think the show has not cast will be big players or have important roles in the upcoming two novels?

I hadn't heard that about the Tyrells. There are several characters' omissions which I think, while it may not haunt them, per se, will make the story feel incomplete. I think the complete absence of the Greyjoys thus far have been a big mistake. I mean, why don't the Ironborn have some hold on the North if Balon is still alive? What's Asha/Yara up to? Are D and D really okay with the victor of their War of Five Kings being Balon Greyjoy?

I think it will be a mistake if they cut Aeron . And also the Northern lords , thats a mistake.

Most of the Northern Lords are essentially already (sadly) gone. With Stannis gone and the Greyjoys basically negligible at this point the North's unrest is non existent. With Jeyne Westerling still alive I can't help but wonder if killing Thalisa was a mistake on their part; but Riverrun and the Tullies, a substantial force in themselves, also seem to have been forgotten.

So I don't think we'll ever see delicious pies or amazing quotes about Freys.

Arianne and Quentyn being cut was a bit much.. I hate that they just covered Arianne's part up, but I think Young Griff is a bigger mistake. He added an element of 'wtf' to the books for at least a good bit. Obviously most of us don't expect him to be that important.. It would have been more interesting filler than the made up Bronn/Jaime bromance.

For me the main contender is Lady Stoneheart.

Why?

1.) Cat's story is unfinished in the show. They spent a lot of time and effort setting up the way Cat feels towards her various children and in particular Jon Snow, even going to the extent that Robb was going to legitimize him as a true Stark. All of that was for naught if they just kill the family off and leave it at that.

Sometimes things are wrapped up in nice packages.

I disagree. Cat's story can end exactly where it is. In the real world things are not always wrapped up in nice packages.

Arianne Martell. A very complex character, smart but not brilliant, sexy and ambitious. Kind of a good Cersei.

Wyman Manderley. I get D&D try to streamline characters, but WM represents an amazing subplot that could work very well on TV.

Seems that Euron will be on season 6. Good. I won't miss the rest of his family.

JonCon and Aegon, Victarion and Euron, Arianne and Wyman Manderly. And Lady Stoneheart, obviously. Why exactly do we need Missandei and Grey Worm as main cast, if there are characters like those not yet introduced?

All those characters would need new scenes and new sets and a load more supporting cast. Missandei and Grey Worm do not need any of those things, in fact they are merely necessities to support the Danaerys plot line, which I'm sure everyone would agree is more important than most of those others.

Wyman Manderley. I get D&D try to streamline characters, but WM represents an amazing subplot that could work very well on TV.

I agree that the Wyman Manderly plot would work well on TV, and the character himself would, too. He's physically distinctive and there's really no other character like him in the show.

I really struggle to believe that D&D, despite the awful decisions they often make, would want to pass up the opportunity to build up a character who seems little more than a toadying, weak-willed fool, before revealing that he's actually a shrewd, vicious Stark loyalist with an axe to grind. The 'reveal' scene, if handled well (i.e. including lines like "The north remembers, and the mummer's farce is almost done. My son is home.") would be amazing.

It could be that one of the 'Northern Lords' that are being cast for S6 is Wyman Manderly, but it isn't obvious from the descriptions. Obviously, the Winterfell wedding boat has sailed, but hopefully that doesn't necessarily mean that the opportunity for delicious Frey pies has passed. There could be another wedding or gathering of some sort, possibly at the Twins (David Bradley mentioned a while ago that he would probably be back for S6), or Manderly et al. could just arrive at Winterfell post-Stannis, as 'reinforcements' or something, though the lack of a siege scenario would certainly make the set-up less tense than it is in the books.

I think Rob's book-wife should have been there.

Apart from that, I am more concerned with characters the show has used, but wasted. Berric Dondarrion, what's his point without Lady Stoneheart? - The same with Barristan Selmy, one of my favorite characters from the books. What was his story arc for the TV show, again?!

I think Rob's book-wife should have been there.

Apart from that, I am more concerned with characters the show has used, but wasted. Berric Dondarrion, what's his point without Lady Stoneheart? - The same with Barristan Selmy, one of my favorite characters from the books. What was his story arc for the TV show, again?!

I agree entirely about Berric and Barristan. It's pretty clear that D&D either originally intended to follow through with Berric and Barristan's arcs or just didn't plan ahead, otherwise they wouldn't have included them. I mean, why introduce Berric and the idea of resurrection if not to set up Lady Stoneheart? And why bother with Barristan if you're going to kill him off right when he starts to have more to do (serving as regent in Meereen and training his Meereneese knights)?

I really enjoyed both Ian McElhinney and Richard Dormer (though I do think that Berric should have been played by someone younger and more handsome, to provide a tragic contrast with his ravaged, worn-down body) but their inclusion amounted to very little given the screen-time spent on them. You can justify the BwB by saying that they play an important part in Arya's journey or whatever, but even so there was no reason to include Berric's resurrections.

Ultimately this is the problem with straying from the source material after three seasons. When you start making unnecessary changes after having been pretty faithful, things you've foreshadowed early on never get the payoff they deserve. If they wanted to make changes then they should have made them from the start.

Actually one thing I think the show did absolutely right was the cutting down on the unecessary sideplots and new characters intorduced in DWD and FFC.

Those two books intorduced whole groups of characters that ended up either doing nothing of conseqeunce (Arianne's gang, Aeron) or dying and doing nothing of consequence (Quentyn Martel and Arys Oakheart, both the most superfluous POVs in the whole thing) or more or less just sitting around until perhaps, maybe, possibly getting some relevance to the plot at some point somewhen in th future (FAegon and company, Arianne herself and the rest of Theon's uncles)

Sure the Young Griff and the crew of the Shy Maid were more interesting and entertaining than Dany sitting on her ass in Mereen for far too long, surrounded by annoying characters with repetative names and stupid linguistic quirks (in fact so much that I wished we had been following Faegon since book one instead of watching Daenerys develop Stockholm Syndrom for the horse rapist) sure Arianne is badass and some of the Greyjoys entertaining. but were they necessary to tell the story of the Song of Ice and Fire? Perhaps, perhaps not. I think the show does a good job demonstarting that a lt of those storylines could have been done using already familiar characters thus streamlining the storyline considerably.

Out of these omissions, while I enjoyed the chapters of the Shy Maid the most out of ADWD, I do think that Arianne should have still been on the show. The whole Dorne arc was kinda half assed and Arianne's addition, her scheming with Jamie to get Myrcella out of Dorne might have been more interesting than him and Bronn just waltzing into the Water Gardens. It would have actually given Bronn something to do (becoming Arys) instead of just being there.

Lady Stoneheart is an odd omission, I agree, since now the BWOB doesn't make any sense. Like others I am more upset about the characters/plotlines they just plunged into Limbo (LS, the BWOB, Gendry, alon Asha/Yara). I particularly hope we get Asha/Yara back, since I liked the actress and the character, but the whole Iron Islands plotline seemed just so dull and superfluous...

I really don't understand this complaint. The series isn't finished yet. Why would anyone claim that Aegon and Arianne and the Ironborn don't do anything when it's obviously telegraphed that they will in TWOW (not to mention they already have done stuff in AFFC/ADWD, but clearly all that stuff is just a warm up act). If you were to stop reading at Clash of Kings you might well think Stannis was of no consequence - he just loses at the Blackwater and crawls away without changing the status quo. But that would be short sighted.

Quentyn seems to get the most hate for this, which kind of misunderstands the point of his character. His primary purpose is fulfilled before we even meet him - he acts as a catalyst for Arianne's character development and motivations. After that point Quentyn's existence was kind of a loose end, so Martin wrapped it up fairly quickly while also using him to release the dragons and enforce the "anyone can die" thing, which was sort of forgotten a bit in Feast/Dance with all the fake deaths and possible resurrections.

On topic, cutting Aegon and Arianne will be the big mistakes. They're going to be huge parts of TWOW.

Yes, Ser Logic of Plot, Lord Continuity, and Maester Nuanced Characterisation are definitely the omissions that have hurt the show worst.

:agree:

Quentyn seems to get the most hate for this, which kind of misunderstands the point of his character. His primary purpose is fulfilled before we even meet him - he acts as a catalyst for Arianne's character development and motivations. After that point Quentyn's existence was kind of a loose end, so Martin wrapped it up fairly quickly while also using him to release the dragons and enforce the "anyone can die" thing, which was sort of forgotten a bit in Feast/Dance with all the fake deaths and possible resurrections.

And Quentyn is a reason Dorne will be on Aegon side when Dance of Dragons 2.0 happens. GRRM needed a rift between Dany and Dorne and he did in a great way. But in show Dorne won't support Dany because Doran is a Lannister fan (well, M being dead could change things).

I disagree. Cat's story can end exactly where it is. In the real world things are not always wrapped up in nice packages.

Good thing we're talking about a work of fiction and not the real world.

Don't get me wrong, I don't really like Stoneheart (at all), but I appreciate her usefulness as a plot device to get Brienne and Jaime together. Without said plot device, we had Jaime reenacting a Locked Up Abroad episode and Brienne looking at a tower for all season. If the choice is between that, or Stoneheart, I'd pick Stoneheart every time, even if I don't like her as a character at all.

Since they butchered the Dorne storyline: Arianne and, to a lesser extent, Quentyn. Dorne was entirely pointless without Arianne.

Not knowing the significance of LSH in the books yet, it's difficult to say whether her omission is a mistake or not.

Jon Connington and Aegon would've been nice to see

Wish we had more than a simplified House Tyrell.

I would've loved to have a Mad Mouse, but the Vale storyline apparently got the nix.

And holding out hope we get the Ironborn storyline next season.

Wyman Manderly (Frey pies...or even Bolton pies if they have to change it)

Jeyne Westerling (Talisa made Robb look stupid)

Dacey Mormont (Just cause)

LSH (to tie Jaime and Brienne's story..because they both sucked in season 5..oh and to kill Freys and Lannisters)

And, I would like to see some sort of completion or repercussion for the Red Wedding. Even non-book readers are curious, I don't know how many times I have been asked about what has happened to the Tullys.

Archived