Brynden Rivers and Three-eyed-crow articles

Gonzalo

There was some discussion of this in the wiki thread.

The three-eyed crow is introduced in A Game of Thrones-Chapter 17, while Brynden Rivers is first mentioned in the main series in A Feast for Crows-Chapter 15 (IIRC). It is not until ADWD that the connection is made. Having "three-eyed crow" merged into "Brynden Rivers" spoils the reveal if someone has only read the early books. I have seen the wiki's chapter summaries or the Tower of the Hand's chapter guide recommended to people who are looking to clarify what they have read, but without being spoiled of later publications they have yet to read. Having TEC merged into BR makes the wiki less useful for newer readers.

I disagree with the idea sometimes raised that the wiki should only be for people who have read the most recent book or who knowingly want to be spoiled. The Recent Events section, in which content is broken down book by book, usually is sufficient for this purpose, but there are some topics like TEC / BR and Barristan Selmy / Arstan Whitebeard where multiple articles are more helpful, IMO.

I suggested it because both articles spoil the reveal

Both articles reveal the connection within their ADWD portions of "Recent Events", so if someone has not yet read ADWD they simply avoid reading that book's section of the article. Merging the articles would instead have "three-eyed crow" redirect to "Brynden Rivers". Someone looking for info about the TEC after reading AGOT or ACOK would therefore be redirected to BR, thus immediately and unexpectedly revealing their connection.

• 3 months later...

on game of thrones charater names it says that brynden rivers is the three eyed crow

All due respect to that wiki, but these are separate projects. The GOT wiki also provides full summaries of characters, including their fates, in their article introductions. Ran, however, wants stronger spoiler prevention (a position I agree with).

spoilers are every were and the three eyed crow said in the book when i was young my mum called me brynden at her breast. i just dont know if he will be true to the targs still or if his time in isolation has made him want to back the blackfyre. heaps of people say he is working for the white walkers but if that was the case they would be able to enter the cave with him.

Archived