Season 6 Casting, Sightings and Speculations

Swineherd

I actually think that Randyll Tarly is the most likely new character to appear in Season 6. We might also get a new Grand Maester.

I'm curious to know why you think that about Tarly. I only included him in the 'possibly' rank because he's been name dropped a couple of times.

I'm curious to know why you think that about Tarly. I only included him in the 'possibly' rank because he's been name dropped a couple of times.

- The name drops that you mentioned

- With both Tywin and (probably) Roose dead the show needs a new ruthless warlord IMO

- The Tyrells are now in control of KL, so the show probably needs more characters in Team Tyrell

- KL might be attacked near the end of S6 so they need military man/men commanding its defences

- Someone might need to betray the Tyrells

- His role wouldn't be that big and he would be interacting with pre-existing characters in pre-existing storylines and locations

- The name drops that you mentioned

- With both Tywin and (probably) Roose dead the show needs a new ruthless warlord IMO

- The Tyrells are now in control of KL, so the show probably needs more characters in Team Tyrell

- KL might be attacked near the end of S6 so they need military man/men commanding its defences

- Someone might need to betray the Tyrells

- His role wouldn't be that big and he would be interacting with pre-existing characters in pre-existing storylines and locations

Well said. I would like to add that if Sam goes to Oldtown in Season 6, I can totally see a couple of scenes between him and his father.

Rumour has it that Sansa will take over Lord Tarly's role in the 6th season.

With a sense of dread I look forward to the Ironborn presence in the upcoming season, if no moves are made to work toward setting up Euron's arrival, not even in one brief scene, I will be dumbfounded. (I'll probably be dumbfounded no matter what.)

Yorick van Wageningen for Randyll Tarly!

I remember that guy! He auditioned for Styr in the lead-up to Season 4 and his audition video leaked, giving us an early look at Styr's introductory scene. It certainly wouldn't be out of the question for him to audition again for another role, especially if the producers liked what they saw, but didn't think he was right for that particular part. That happens reasonably often in television.

I usually try to refrain from casting roles in my head, but for whatever reason I've always pictured Graham McTavish as Randyll Tarly. I doubt that he would be available for what would likely be a minor role (he's currently a series regular on Outlander). But hey, that show films in Scotland, so it wouldn't be too much of a commute should the opportunity arise.

Regardless of who might play him, I would like to see Randyll Tarly appear on Game of Thrones before the series ends. He's the kind of minor character who wouldn't require his own plotline (unIike Euron and some of the others being discussed here), but would add a lot of color to scenes involving the established characters in King's Landing, the Reach, or wherever else he might turn up. Obviously his connection to Sam would provide some good material should the two of them ever cross paths, especially considering how much Sam has grown since Season 1. And unlike other characters where there's reason to question whether or not they exist in Game of Thrones' continuity, Randyll Tarly obviously does, and he's been namechecked enough that I think it's plausible that he might turn up in Season 6 or 7.

Well I think other than of course what happens in Season 5, season 6 will depend greatly on the inclusion/exclusion of Oldtown and White Harbor.

I can see White Harbor being nixed but I really would like to think Oldtown wouldn't be hard to D&D to include. It gives them a cool opportunity to introduce the oldest city in Westeros, Archmaester Marwyn, Glass Candles, Alleras/Sarella, a new Jaquen/Alchemist, and Sam far away from the wall. I just hope they don't consolidate it to the Wall's library as some have suspected. If it's included, we could get additions easily workable into the plot: Marwyn, the Sphinx, and the Alchemist.

Overall, they could easily add in 3 people with really only one or two new locations:

Euron

Randyll

Marwyn

I mean considering the fate of some minor characters plus unexpected deaths, it won't be like they're overloading the casual viewer either with new people. Also, given the amount of sea-faring parts of the book that seem to be cut, they may be saving those production costs for Euron rather than doing the YG/G and Victarian storylines.

Well I think other than of course what happens in Season 5, season 6 will depend greatly on the inclusion/exclusion of Oldtown and White Harbor.

I can see White Harbor being nixed but I really would like to think Oldtown wouldn't be hard to D&D to include. It gives them a cool opportunity to introduce the oldest city in Westeros, Archmaester Marwyn, Glass Candles, Alleras/Sarella, a new Jaquen/Alchemist, and Sam far away from the wall. I just hope they don't consolidate it to the Wall's library as some have suspected. If it's included, we could get additions easily workable into the plot: Marwyn, the Sphinx, and the Alchemist.

Overall, they could easily add in 3 people with really only one or two new locations:

Euron

Randyll

Marwyn

I mean considering the fate of some minor characters plus unexpected deaths, it won't be like they're overloading the casual viewer either with new people. Also, given the amount of sea-faring parts of the book that seem to be cut, they may be saving those production costs for Euron rather than doing the YG/G and Victarian storylines.

Hahahahahaha. Sorry, I do just have to laugh at the idea of The Citadel and OldTowne somehow being replaced by the library at The Wall. Last I knew, The Night's Watch, or Castle Black itself, should be under 100 men. I'd LMAO if the show winds up with more books than there are men at The Wall, officially, I mean. Hahahahaha

Your post does point out some reasons that perhaps, we will get some semblance of Oldtowne. Maybe Season 6?

Hahahahahaha. Sorry, I do just have to laugh at the idea of The Citadel and OldTowne somehow being replaced by the library at The Wall. Last I knew, The Night's Watch, or Castle Black itself, should be under 100 men. I'd LMAO if the show winds up with more books than there are men at The Wall, officially, I mean. Hahahahaha

Your post does point out some reasons that perhaps, we will get some semblance of Oldtowne. Maybe Season 6?

If Oldtown is in the show, it will definitely be delayed until season 6. There really isn't anything substantial happening there in AFFC, just setup with Jaqen's infiltration (which would be a great scene for 6.01) and Sam's arrival.

Yeah I'm only thinking Oldtown for Season 6 and beyond. If it is though, it should be mentioned a few times toward the end of this coming season. I can see them cutting Sam's story shorter though and having him go straight to the Citadel. And I forgot where I came across the Oldtown replacement storyline idea at the wall but it's pretty weak if D&D do something along those lines. A Season 6 prologue-esque with a quick Jaquen/Alchemist shocker would be sweet.

I think they've teased the viewer enough about the Maesters to have to check out the Citadel. From my own biased view, I think the set-up there in AFFC is a stepping stone that will catapult things to a bigger picture for Sam and the FM concerning knowledge about magic, wights and dragons.

I love that there's a S6 speculation thread happening... GRRM, we're dying of thirst over here! Finish tWOW! :rofl:

That said, I'll jump right in :P

I'm curious as to why everyone thinks that Euron is a sure bet... I feel like all signs point to the Ironborn being left high and dry. Yes, I know D&D said they had to choose between the IB and Dorne, and they went with Dorne, which means possibly IB in S6, but especially the way they've left YarAsha and Balon hanging... well, I just don't see them suddenly liking that story.

I love that there's a S6 speculation thread happening... GRRM, we're dying of thirst over here! Finish tWOW! :rofl:

That said, I'll jump right in :P

I'm curious as to why everyone thinks that Euron is a sure bet... I feel like all signs point to the Ironborn being left high and dry. Yes, I know D&D said they had to choose between the IB and Dorne, and they went with Dorne, which means possibly IB in S6, but especially the way they've left YarAsha and Balon hanging... well, I just don't see them suddenly liking that story.

I'd like to think that opinion is made for Euron because how much the viewer has been introduced to the Iron Born culture and the fact that a last bit of hope is instead of it all being did away with, they're removing the Iron Victory storyline (Victarion, Moqorro, the Dusky Women). The thing is, given Dany's cliffhanger seems to be Daznag's, they still have the chance to be introduced and kill off Balon at the end of this season.

Given that it can still feasibly be worked into the show, it makes people think it's happening. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Euron

Randyll

Marwyn

I agree. I think they will do the same as they do with Dorne this season: have a new location (Oldtown) with a bunch of new characters (Marwyn, Sarella, Euron, Randyll) seen through the eyes of a known character (Sam).

I agree. I think they will do the same as they do with Dorne this season: have a new location (Oldtown) with a bunch of new characters (Marwyn, Sarella, Euron, Randyll) seen through the eyes of a known character (Sam).

That, and the Iron Islands. In that case, the familiar eyes will be Balon (getting murdered). :D

I could seen Randyll being introduced next season on Kevan's small council if they go that route with Cersei's walk at the end of the 5. He'd be like how they introduced the High Sparrow this year in KL. I mean with Cersei awaiting her trial by combat, there needs to be some characters outside of the Tyrells keeping the KL story interesting. Also, I just don't see the show staying in Sunspear after S5, excluding Arienne of course, I can see the snakes making it to KL for next season to give it that appeal.

Oldtown could be a scaled down Dorne, serving as the new location with new characters for season 6. No other cities/castles would really need to be introduced.

With Euron, ehhh, that's still up in the air I guess (may be a cut) but they could quickly kill off Balon and have Euron venture off to Dany. Wouldn't require a ton of air time. But at the same time none of that may happen.

The North is solid and Dany's storyline is building up to the Battle in Meereen.

The way I'd look at the storylines being covered S5 & 6:

5: (8 separate storylines starting out)

Braavos

Sunspear

KL

North

Essos

Westeros duos/travelers: Brienne/Pod, Peter/Sansa, Jaime/Bronn

6:

KL (sunspear merged)

North (Arya merged?)

Essos (Dany--Dothraki Sea, War--Meereen)

Traveling characters (Jaime, Arya, Gendry, BwB?)

So other than the Dothraki Sea, the North, KL, and Meereen, you'd like to think they'll have more locations. It makes me wonder about how they're gonna deal with Braavos as well.

The show likes sh*t to go down with the traveling characters so some of the projected duos are gonna go through some sh*t in S5. I have no idea what will happen with Jaime...maybe he returns to KL? Basically, if they can start off S5 with 8 separate stories going on, you'd like to think new ones are in play for 6.

Lots of room for book variance that actually makes it exciting. I just hope they don't shy away from adding potentially awesome characters in S6.

Archived