K.J. Parker (a.k.a.Tom Holt) - Part II

AncalagonTheBlack

I've been very much enjoying the serialized Two of Swords stories. Just finished part 5. If these come out once a month regularly I will be very happy.

Written in classic KJ Parker style and there are lots of puzzle piece clues lying around that I could speculate about what overall is happening. But...and this is always my gripe with KJ, I get the impression that the clues aren't all meaningful. He has a tendency to "forget" things that seemed important clues in each of his previous trilogies. The small inconsistencies always irk me but not enough to stop reading. Maybe this will be different but I get the feeling not. Still enjoying the hell out of it.

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't read Savages or The Two of Swords, but I've no doubt whatsoever that they'll be delightful.

I'm making my way through Parker's novellas and short stories. Recently read The Things We Do For Love and Heaven Thunders The Truth. Both were fantastic, although I preferred the first one more.

Been really hard to get much reading done with two little boys under 20 months.  I have always wanted to read Parker, but my TBR pile is huge.  Is there a good starting point or just grab whatever strikes my fancy?

Been really hard to get much reading done with two little boys under 20 months.  I have always wanted to read Parker, but my TBR pile is huge.  Is there a good starting point or just grab whatever strikes my fancy?

I liked the Scavenger trilogy best. Also, I really enjoyed "A Song for Nero" which  he wrote as Thomas Holt.

You should start off with with one of Parker's standalones or novellas. I wouldn't recommend starting off with a trilogy.

So check out The Folding Knife, or perhaps The Company. For novellas/short stories I'd suggest picking up Academic Exercises, which is a collection of such material (although some of the stories you can easily find scattered on the internet; do a Google search for "Lets Map to Others", "The Sun and I", "A Small Price to Pay for Birdsong", "Amor Vincia Omnit"). Or give this a read: https://subterraneanpress.com/magazine/summer_2014/the_things_we_do_for_love_by_k._j._parker. Awesome all the way through.

Once you've made your way through the standalone and shorts, then that's a good time to start with the trilogies, in my opinion.

Enjoy!

• 1 month later...

Savages was very good.Had a few questions:

1. Aram Cosseilhatz: don't remember if they've they been mentioned in previous books ?

2. Wasn't there a character called Teudel (IIRC a young boy) in the Fencer trilogy also ?

3. Any mention of the Goida in previous books ? Looks like everyone is shit scared of them,including the Aram Chantat,Cosseilhatz etc.

Savages also seems to the latest book (chronologically) in Parker's world since:

[spoiler]“The Republic’s* gone,” the captain said. “All gone, nothing left. Nothing but rubble and ashes.”

Damn! Just who the hell are these Goida ? Would love to see more about them in future books.

*Vesani Republic[/spoiler]

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Darke said:

So I went to purchase Part Sixteen of the Two of Swords, which was supposed to come out today, and I noticed it's been delayed until October. Any information on what's going on? 

No idea.  I just know that it's been pushed back.  As for as I know, it's still supposed to be the last installment. 

As early as the end of last year, the series went to Part 18 with a scheduled July release.  I know this because I have a little problem when it comes to releases.  I have a wishlist devoted to each month of the year at Amazon to make sure I keep up on purchasing etc by month so I don't miss anything.

What is he working on in terms of full length novels?  There was talk of a series or at least a duology that got pushed back for Savages?  Or was that the Two of Swords and it got serialized?  I have a hard time keeping up with all his irons let alone the state of the fire. 

Archived