AncalagonTheBlack

K.J. Parker (a.k.a.Tom Holt) - Part II

Hey, so I've only read The Folding Knife which was brilliant but the ending...

Which book should I read next? Hopefully, one that isn't super depressing. Sad/tragic is fine but not super depression. I mean, I might not be able to handle that.

Jeez, that's uh, they're all kind of super depressing.

Actually, Sharps, if I remember right, is fairly upbeat for Parker. Read that.

This reminds me, I'm super behind on my KJ Parker.

Okay, I'm just sayin' I survived The Folding Knife so I could probably handle something that level. Any more than that though...

Thanks.

I'd say that's probably his second most darkest/depressing/holy shit wtf. I still  have some to read still, though I doubt anythign will top The Hammer. That one is just like....yikes.

4 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I'd say that's probably his second most darkest/depressing/holy shit wtf. I still  have some to read still, though I doubt anythign will top The Hammer. That one is just like....yikes.

So I should be fine except for The Hammer? Heh, I'll do it! I just need to find a good time when I actually want a tragic story. Thanks!

9 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I think The Company is the most downbeat, with The Hammer probably the second. The three first trilogies also are big downers (Two of Swords not so much). I would also remommend Sharps as a reasonably cheerful novel (for Parker, at least).

I think the historical novels (not the fantasy novels) he wrote as Tom Holt are also fairly good if you are looking for something similar in style to but not quite as bleak as his K.J. Parker stuff. I liked Meadowland.

On 12/15/2018 at 2:22 AM, Darth Richard II said:

"And then the bad thing happened."  When I found out what the bad thing was, it was like a punch in the solar plexus.

I'm reading his latest, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City, which is pretty light-hearted by his standards.

2 hours ago, SeanF said:

I'm reading his latest, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City, which is pretty light-hearted by his standards.

I have this on my TBR pile, so, good to know.Though i do wonder, what 'light-hearted' means in Parkerland! :P

1 minute ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

I have this on my TBR pile, so, good to know.Though i do wonder, what 'light-hearted' means in Parkerland! :P

Quite blackly funny, without leaving you wanting to slash your wrists at the end of it.