Idea for a Robert's Rebellion miniseries [Book Spoilers, discussion of R+L=J and other theories]

clair de lune

Very impressive! I would love to see this layout on screen.

For casting, I would age Lyanna up (like they did with Dany) to make the romance less creepy and give her black hair like Show! Jon. Jessica Brown Findlay or Adelaide Kane would be a good fit.

I actually was writing up a list of ideas for the flashbacks in episode 8, and

part of the flashbacks has Rhaegar dying his hair black as a disguise, and I noted the actor should look a bit like Show!Jon when he has black hair.

Great job. I think you did a great job with making this its own thing that both Sullied and Unsullied can enjoy. I especially love the prologue to the first episode.

The only think that bothers me is Robert and Lyanna having sex. I always got the impression that Robert's love for her was unrequited, so I don't think she'd consent.

I think Chris Hemsworth would be a good Robert. See vid below. Whoever that girl is would be a good choice for Lyanna as well imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS9GeQRWW5s

Dem feels :bawl:

I think I've provided a significant amount of exposition at the beginning. What do you think needs to be added to help Unsullied?

Don't get me wrong, I think your outline is terrific. It's just that Unsullied are so involved in the current story, characters, and actors. Bringing in an entirely new cast with just a handful of characters who are in the current story just seems like it might confuse them.

I, for one, would love to see the Mad King, Rhaegar, Brandon, Lyanna, JonCon, Howland, Arthur Dayne, etc. on screen. I'd love for this to happen, but I just feel like it wouldn't be as big of a hit with Unsullied as GoT is. Although I hope I'm wrong and I really hope this eventually happens.

Well done my friend. Not that CH wouldn't make a good RT but I for a while now for some reason Orlando bloom could make a good one. Gerard butler as Robert. The mad King none other then Gary oldman.

Orlando would make a great Rhegar. Although thats only because I think Kit looks like him

A very nice layout, good job! Oh how I wish this would happen some day... The only problem I see here is the overall length of the series. It would depend on the success of the remaining seasons of GoT and the overall success of the show, but I don't think they would make RR last an entire GoT season or even 8 episodes... I always pictured the format as being a short series of 3-5 episodes ca. 50min long, which would of course reduce the script into a much simpler version than the one suggested by OP, but seems much more realistic to me. :(

As for my dream cast, well... My personal TV Lyanna will always be Katie McGrath. Judging by how she handled Morgana in Merlin, she'd be able to play both the innocent queen of love and beauty and the fierce northern shewolf who cannot be tamed. But since she is Morgana, her casting for RR would be highly unlikely. But I wish, I wish... For young Robert... I don't know, maybe Colin O'Donoghue? He surely looks the part with his dark hair and blue eyes.

A very nice layout, good job! Oh how I wish this would happen some day... The only problem I see here is the overall length of the series. It would depend on the success of the remaining seasons of GoT and the overall success of the show, but I don't think they would make RR last an entire GoT season or even 8 episodes... I always pictured the format as being a short series of 3-5 episodes ca. 50min long, which would of course reduce the script into a much simpler version than the one suggested by OP, but seems much more realistic to me. :(

My friend, I disagree. While it surely had a smaller budget, HBO's John Adams miniseries had 7 episodes. Generation Kill also had 7, and The Pacific had 10 episodes. Band of Brothers also had 10 episodes. So 8 is not out of the realm of reason, if HBO wanted to produce a miniseries about the same size of Band of Brothers/The Pacific.

Edited to add: after doing some more research, we know that HBO averages $6 Million per episode, so probably about $70 Million per season. HBO spent $200 Million making the ten episodes of The Pacific.

I agree about Hemsworth being able to play Robert or Rhaegar, but I think he'd be better as Robert, has the size, rugged handsomeness you'd expect, we know he wields a big hammer well.

And with Lyanna I'd go with Adelaide Kane.

Dem feels :bawl:

I know. When I came across that video it got me really buzzed for a prequel.

Wouldn't even mind a big budget film trilogy, would be awesome to see some of the battles actually play out. I think it would work if HBO were majorly included so it remained an 18, had continuity with some places/characters that would be around looking similar etc.

Think it'd do really well.

I'd like to see young Gregor Clegane, you need a brutal villain. I am sure he raised a lot of hell before he participated in the sack of kings landing. It would also open up a chance to give backstory on Sandor Clegane who would have been about twelve years old, the age when he says he gutted his first man. I always thought the Hound's denial of having not being with Gregor when he killed Princess Elia and the royal children was odd. Sandor is a man of few words, simple answers, but he told the Brotherhood without Banners that he never saw or smelled or heard them bawl. That is an excessive denial, like he is convincing himself and all of his senses to forget that he was there.

Congratulations! It is a very good outline.

I did a outline about the Robert Rebellion some time ago too and all the material yielded 3 or 4 seasons and - for my surprise - was possible to make all season with 10 episodes and a cast of nearly 60 characters, very close what we see in Game of Thrones. In other words, a prequel is possible!

I think that after GoT is over, HBO will produce a prequel (if George permit). This story is full of interesting and charismatic characters (Lyanna, Brandon, Rhaegar, Arthur...) and a lot of interesting events. I hope it happens.

Cheers

My friend, I disagree. While it surely had a smaller budget, HBO's John Adams miniseries had 7 episodes. Generation Kill also had 7, and The Pacific had 10 episodes. Band of Brothers also had 10 episodes. So 8 is not out of the realm of reason, if HBO wanted to produce a miniseries about the same size of Band of Brothers/The Pacific.

Edited to add: after doing some more research, we know that HBO averages $6 Million per episode, so probably about $70 Million per season. HBO spent $200 Million making the ten episodes of The Pacific.

OK, thanks for digging for specific information :) With that in mind, seeing Robert's Rebellion on screen some day actually seems much more likely now.

• 4 months later...

Archived