Uncovering the redacted text in GRRM's original treatment.

PopMelon

I see not harm in uncovering the text, it's unlikely to reveal anything earth-shaking.

By the way, what do you think about the following addition to the line before the last?

... side of the Wall, the others are watching with cold dead eyes ...

'others are watching' makes sense and somewhat fits. I will update the image in the morning.

An earlier version had "on the far side of the Wall", which certainly makes sense, but it's not clear how it would fit the preceding line.

Exactly, I've still got that penned in my own copy however it really depends on it matching up with the Daenerys section.

Searching for where your parents hid a few presents before Christmas is one thing, but grabbing your parents' social security cards (or international equivalent) and calling up their credit card companies to ask for complete receipt purchase histories is another. It would make for a rather lame Christmas.

We all search, discuss, and debate theories here because its exciting, but keeping some surprises in the last few books is a very good thing. I'm not saying that letter holds all the keys, I'm sure it doesn't, but if that letter was totally cracked then it would do more harm than good. It wouldn't be something to christen people as heroes of the fandom. Regardless of whether or not only some people wanted to discover things that way, the information would seep out to the rest of the internet savvy portion of the fandom through osmosis.

Personally, I think you guys looking to crack the letter should form a secret society and swear to keep it away from the rest of the fanbase for it's own good, but that's just my opinion. The real "heroes" aren't those that are able to crack something and reveal it, but those who would hold that sort of thing back on their own volition to preserve the grand spectrum of GRRM's writing in the way he intended, or at least. one that didn't involve details of the ending leaking out to his fans through a post on flipping twitter.

I honestly feel like you're overestimating what is in this text. What we have so far suggests everything but major spoilers or twists, these are extremely broad strokes that we've already pretty much known. As I said above, we have no idea when this was redacted and from what we can currently see it the fact that it's redacted may be completely irrelevant with where we're at in the story. Anyway I'm sorry you feel that way.

I don't think it really matters, the story has we have now in ASOIAF is vastly different to the one presented in the remainder of this letter. Even if it does pretty much give away some huge spoiler about the conclusion of the story, I'm pretty sure everyone's seen interviews about how Martin let's his stories grow organically so it's probably rather inconsequential.

I keep on wondering when they'll put a comma after 'Thrones'. :P

The missing comma foreshadows that Sansa will marry Samwell Tarly because although he can write, his punctuation needs work.

It is known!

:lol:

I see not harm in uncovering the text, it's unlikely to reveal anything earth-shaking.

By the way, what do you think about the following addition to the line before the last?

... side of the Wall, the others are watching with cold dead eyes ...

Sounds good to me.

An earlier version had "on the far side of the Wall", which certainly makes sense, but it's not clear how it would fit the preceding line.

The previous line is talking about Dany who will probably end up in Westeros eventually and it ends with a l_d.

So it could be that she has sailed_______ far side of the wall. There don't seem to be enough tall letters for it to be to the far side of the wall but it might still work somehow.

Some good suggestions appeared on Reddit, which I would agree with. Now it would read:

Beyond the narrow sea, Daenerys Stormborn prepares her invasion. And

on the far side of the Wall, the others are watching with cold dead

eyes and gathering their strength.

Honestly im surprised there have not been more stuff like this going on. I cant imagine the network security for the publishers is all to secure. Im surprised with how popular this series is. Some self proclaimed hero with half a degree in computer science has not come up with the chapters GRRM has submitted to his publishers. Or some disgruntled worker copied them to a thumb drive.

Well GRRM has only submitted like 120 pages right? That's probably less than all the sample chapters he's given us.

As for his own computer - well he uses some unconnected DoS computer so. . .

Sounds good to me.

The previous line is talking about Dany who will probably end up in Westeros eventually and it ends with a l_d.

So it could be that she has sailed_______ far side of the wall. There don't seem to be enough tall letters for it to be to the far side of the wall but it might still work somehow.

Sailed doesn't currently fit as with 'to'. Thanks so much for the help.

Some good suggestions appeared on Reddit, which I would agree with. Now it would read:

Beyond the narrow sea, Daenerys Stormborn prepares her invasion. And

on the far side of the Wall, the others are watching with cold dead

eyes and gathering their strength.

Yup, you guys are amazing - I'd really become stuck there for awhile and I'm currently preparing my update. As for '.--And', I will include it on the image so that people know about it and can give us some more opinion on whether it fits but personally I'm quite sceptical and will mark this on the image with a question mark. The 'A' seems to be a bit off and it seems weird for GRRM to write such a stunted sentence - this doesn't really flow with the rest of the document, there are however some comparisons you can find. From a writing standpoint you can start a sentence with an 'And' however it isn't common at all.

The biggest problem I have is that the 'A' doesn't seem to fit very well on my end

Thanks to those who have pointed out that it was likely redacted long ago.

Given that probability, I agree that the redacted portion is unlikely to contain any huge revelation. Even if it says something decisive, like "Dany kills Jon and finally recovers the Iron Throne. The end." Given how much the story has evolved since this letter was written, I think it is very likely that the ultimate outcome has changed as well. So no matter what it says, (1) it may no longer be correct and (2) even if it is correct, we as readers would be so much in doubt that it would essentially have to be treated as just another theory.

Coming from that point of view, I think that the effort to decipher it is relatively harmless. I would feel much differently if someone posted a new revelation from, say, hacking into Martin's or the publisher's computer.

Archived