Uncovering the redacted text in GRRM's original treatment.

PopMelon

A random thought...

The version given in Isobel's link is similar to that "fake" Amazon's TWoW summary/blurb, which was so easily dismissed by asoiaf community.

Could it be... Oh, no, what a terrifying thought!

I hadn't heard about this, is there an image of this?

Some speculation:

The first three and a half lines seem to be about who rules the Seven Kingdoms at the end of AGOT. If Jaime still sat on the iron throne, there would be no need to write so many words about it. It seems likely that Tyrion succeeds in deposing his brother and becomes the new ruler of the realm as well as Jon's bitter enemy, due to their rivalry. The first Jon chapter hints at this, it ends "for just a moment Tyrion Lannister stood tall as a king".

Some speculation:

The first three and a half lines seem to be about who rules the Seven Kingdoms at the end of AGOT. If Jaime still sat on the iron throne, there would be no need to write so many words about it. It seems likely that Tyrion succeeds in deposing his brother and becomes the new ruler of the realm as well as Jon's bitter enemy, due to their rivalry. The first Jon chapter hints at this, it ends "for just a moment Tyrion Lannister stood tall as a king".

I was suspecting the same thing.

Some speculation:

I can see this, however, originally we thought this redacted paragraph would say a lot of various things when in fact very little was actually said.

A random thought...

The version given in Isobel's link is similar to that "fake" Amazon's TWoW summary/blurb, which was so easily dismissed by asoiaf community.

Could it be... Oh, no, what a terrifying thought!

Maybe this was the original "blurb" for book three (TWoW) which ended up being obsolete because of so many changes to the series. Or, you know, a total phony.

I see enough differences between the supposed summary and what's under the black ink that I doubt they are all that similar.

Tyrion being King would not exactly need to be covered. He does not exactly have the sacked Winterfell, chased the Starks, took out Joff, got exiled, made common cause with the Starks, got involved in a love Triangle over Arya with Jon that lead to a deadly rivalry. It doesn't even have Tyrion leaving the wall.

So why redact if Tyrion became King at some point? You can see he has a very different story so far. They didn't need to redact Jaime being King. Don't need to redact Dany preparing for an invasion, don't need to redact the Others have cold dead eyes.

If I had to guess it may say Jon was stabbed at the end of Thrones but lives. Which may be the worst kept secret ever, but is still a secret. Though I am wondering if there is something about Bran in there as well. It just doesn't matter who the King is at the end of thrones in the treatment as we clearly have a very different story.

I am guessing there is a name in there they don't want seen. Tyrion is Jon's bitter enemy over Arya or some such thing also does not need to be covered. I don't imagine Tyrion is going to go all oh man that 11 year old is so fine, must challenge Jon for her hand.

Maybe this was the original "blurb" for book three (TWoW) which ended up being obsolete because of so many changes to the series. Or, you know, a total phony.

I see enough differences between the supposed summary and what's under the black ink that I doubt they are all that similar.

Delightfully random, innit? :D Broken Wall, the lion and the Wolf, 2 (?) desperate journeys into the heart of Ice and Fire*... Or IS IT? :lol:

All of this is connected, I tell ya. The "leak" of the letter, the "fake" blurb... The most elaborate, time-bending PR stunt since Hemmingway took up boxing. :D

* obviously, if Bran saw the heart of the winter, there will be heart of fire too, because Song of Ice and Fire

And now something completely different - let's be serious, this is a good thread and we don't contribute productively. :)

Delightfully random, innit? :D Broken Wall, the lion and the Wolf, 2 (?) desperate journeys into the heart of Ice and Fire*... Or IS IT? :lol:

All of this is connected, I tell ya. The "leak" of the letter, the "fake" blurb... The most elaborate, time-bending PR stunt since Hemmingway took up boxing. :D

* obviously, if Bran saw the heart of the winter, there will be heart of fire too, because Song of Ice and Fire

And now something completely different - let's be serious, this is a good thread and we don't contribute productively. :)

I didn't say anything about random.

This thing has been on display for a while. It's just that those of us who haven't been in the building haven't seen it until now. More than likely when what was blacked out was blacked out, it would have been a spoiler, but it wouldn't be now.

Tyrion being King would not exactly need to be covered. He does not exactly have the sacked Winterfell, chased the Starks, took out Joff, got exiled, made common cause with the Starks, got involved in a love Triangle over Arya with Jon that lead to a deadly rivalry. It doesn't even have Tyrion leaving the wall.

So why redact if Tyrion became King at some point? You can see he has a very different story so far. They didn't need to redact Jaime being King. Don't need to redact Dany preparing for an invasion, don't need to redact the Others have cold dead eyes.

If I had to guess it may say Jon was stabbed at the end of Thrones but lives. Which may be the worst kept secret ever, but is still a secret. Though I am wondering if there is something about Bran in there as well. It just doesn't matter who the King is at the end of thrones in the treatment as we clearly have a very different story.

I am guessing there is a name in there they don't want seen. Tyrion is Jon's bitter enemy over Arya or some such thing also does not need to be covered. I don't imagine Tyrion is going to go all oh man that 11 year old is so fine, must challenge Jon for her hand.

I reckon the spoilery bit was the fact that the others are "watching". Maybe they have their own version of a glass candle or they have green seer warg powers we don't know about.

Just that line "on the far side of the wall the others are watching" sounds really sinister

I didn't say anything about random.

This thing has been on display for a while. It's just that those of us who haven't been in the building haven't seen it until now. More than likely when what was blacked out was blacked out, it would have been a spoiler, but it wouldn't be now.

It's almost certain the black out was done at-least after ASOS was released considering what is not considered a spoiler by the person who blacked it out. And yet they still felt the need to black out what they did.

Archived