Small Questions v. 10096

Rhaenys_Targaryen

I have never taken Illyrio to mean that literally. Especially because Varys compared it to juggling first.

I had the same understanding at first. But that changed: Juggling is a metaphor for runnings lots of businesses simultaneously. Varys does. Juggling is also what mummers do. Varys tells us he was a professional mummer once. He certainly knows how to conceal himself, and is silent as a water dancer... Juggling is also close to illusionist magic, try to count the balls or club when they are flying in the air? So if one is true, so maybe is the other. :)

Well, if I remember correctly, he's missing all but his thumb and little finger from the left hand, but is only the little finger on his right.

If he is right handed, he might be able to grip the bow with his left hand (which doesn't require a tight grip) and have no problem drawing the string with his right.

Worst comes to worst, he could strap the bow to his left hand and/or wrist to prevent dropping it.

If left handed though, this could be a bit more difficult.

Who, when? I would likely have dropped that suspicion along with a few others if GRRM had not been asked that question over the decades, too. I think the answer was along the lines of: Only Varys knows. iirc

2. Is Varys truly a eunuch, or is it just another of his many disguises?

Guess we won't know till someone takes a peek inside his breeches.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1202

I think he was just being cheeky there, I don't think he meant it in the 'keep reading' sense.

As for who and when: Anyone, as soon as they remember that eunuchs don't grown facial hair,* don't get as muscular, and have higher pitched voices. This does still allow for the possibility that he is a woman in disguise.

*I at least find it difficult to maintain a perfect shave all the time. By the end of most days you can tell I still have my balls.

*I at least find it difficult to maintain a perfect shave all the time. By the end of most days you can tell I still have my balls.

Oh come on, Lord Varys, I have looked right through your poor disguise. I know better from you.

eta: thanks for digging up the SSM.

That video of PJ made me think of it actually. I forgot House Darry were loyalists and noticed it on my second re-read. The part when he points out the stories of Clegane's ravages don't match up made me think Raymun played his part of the Aegon master plan. By seeding more bad blood between the Starks and Lannisters to lead to war and weaken both houses and the crown. But then PJ goes kinda overboard :P

So I thought Raymun being affiliated with Varys and Illyrio would make sense.

As for who and when: Anyone, as soon as they remember that eunuchs don't grown facial hair,* don't get as muscular, and have higher pitched voices. This does still allow for the possibility that he is a woman in disguise.

Note that once someone starts growing facial hair, removing testosterone production does not necessarily cause facial hair to stop growing. It might be thinner, but it will very likely continue to grow. If Varys had already reached puberty when he had his incident with the sorcerer, he could easily still have facial hair

I don't know what the theory is about anymore exactly, but to remember that, while the Darry's were Targaryen loyalists, the main branch seems to have fallen out of Aerys' favor before the end of his reign.. Don't know how that plays into things..

Maybe they have fallen out of Aerys' favor as they supported Rhaegar. Aerys' KG seem to generaly support Rhaegar ( Whent, Dayne, Hightower at ToJ ).

If they fallen it couldn't been a long ago as Aerys has Willem as Red Keep master-at-arms and Jonothor in KG.

If Darrys supported Rhaegar, it's very probable that they supported his son.

Maybe they have fallen outnof Aerys' favor as they supported Rhaegar. Aerys' KG seem to generaly support Rhaegar ( Whent, Dayne, Hightower at ToJ ).

If they fallen it couldn't been a long ago as Aerys has Willem as Red Keep master-at-arms and Jonothor in KG.

Jonothor would have already been a KG... A KG who does not seem to have been in Rhaegar's inner circle, and who thus might have survived Aerys' wroth as such.. Jonothor also doesn't have to have been of the main branch.. And Willem was Jon's brother, so if Jon wasn't of the main branch, neither was Willem.

The Darry's supported House Targaryen, we don't know how much they supporter the prince over the king...

The Darry's fell from favor shortly after Merrett Frey married his Darry bride, so sometime after the defeat of the Kingswood Brotherhood in early 281 AC. Quite recent indeed. Willem had been master-at-arms for years, and Jonothor would have been in the KG for some time as well.

Maybe they have fallen out of Aerys' favor as they supported Rhaegar. Aerys' KG seem to generaly support Rhaegar ( Whent, Dayne, Hightower at ToJ ).

Sorry for so many mistakes. Stupid android autocorrect and taptalk.

This always read as bad for Merrett in that his bride's family was no longer one of influence because Aerys died, not because the Darrys fell out of favor with Aerys between the marriage and the Robellion.

Hoster probably pushed for retribution against the Darrys.

Also, why not just replace your Master-at-Arms?

I have 2 logistics questions:

1. How does Sam crawl up through the well in ASoS when he meets Bran?

2. What exactly does Tyrion's chain accomplish in ACoK? I'm not sure the layout of the battle and how the chain causes more damage then without it.

Does anyone have a diagram of either of these, because I cannot picture it in my head.

Archived