Small Questions v. 10096

Rhaenys_Targaryen

I have 2 logistics questions:

1. How does Sam crawl up through the well in ASoS when he meets Bran?

2. What exactly does Tyrion's chain accomplish in ACoK? I'm not sure the layout of the battle and how the chain causes more damage then without it.

Does anyone have a diagram of either of these, because I cannot picture it in my head.

2. The chain cut Stannis' ships that were at bay and traped ships that were already at Blackwater.

Is it articles' author mistake? Some Greyjoy propaganda ? Is there any source of this?

Mistake I think. He's a king, but since it was under the original king, it makes sense. It's only now that kingship has changed. Likewise Stafford is a knight, not lord, unless lord is the correct title. (Shoulda made great lords or someone Barons @GRRM).

I have 2 logistics questions:

1. How does Sam crawl up through the well in ASoS when he meets Bran?

There was a stair, steps in the stone :

Meera peeled back one end of her net, and the fat man managed to sit up. He was shaking, Bran saw, and still struggling to catch his breath. "He said there would be people," he huffed. "People in the castle. I didn't know you'd be right at the top of the steps, though. I didn't know you'd throw a net on me or stab me in the stomach." He touched his belly with a black-gloved hand. "Am I bleeding? I can't see."

The main damage the chain did was that when the wildfyre exploded none of the ships could retreat, and Davos notes how the tide swept everything into the chain, so literally everything got caught on fire.

Until it made a bridge lol, very unrealistic. A bridge of burning, broken boats. I pretend it never happened.

I recall reading a post (I think it was by Werthead) that Theon I was confirmed to have been pushed back from Dance to Winds.

I think originally Martin hoped to get the Battle of Winterfell and the Battle of Meereen into Dance, but sadly it was not to be.

I think originally Martin hoped to get the Battle of Winterfell and the Battle of Meereen into Dance, but sadly it was not to be.

Now we are to expect he will get the battle of fire one striped over the first 16 chapters and hope the battle of the ice will make it into TWoW, too...

Aeron Greyjoy had one chapter removed from Dance, to be placed in Winds

Sansa Stark and Arya Stark, the same

Arianne had two chapters removed from Dance, to be placed in Winds.

I don't know about the Victarion, Theon, two Barristan's, and two Tyrions, but considering that the Theon sample chapter was published as early as december 2011, chances are big this was a pushed back chapter as well.

From whom does Stannis know about Joffrey's death? Tycho? Saan?

Stannis from Davos, Davos from Saan

“Your Grace.” Davos stepped forward. “Lady Melisandre saw it true. Your nephew Joffrey is dead.”

If the king was surprised to find him at the Painted Table, he gave no sign. “Lord Davos,” he said. “He was not my nephew. Though for years I believed he was.”

“He choked on a morsel of food at his wedding feast,” Davos said. “It may be that he was poisoned.”

“He is the third,” said Melisandre.

“I can count, woman.” Stannis walked along the table, past Oldtown and the Arbor, up toward the Shield Islands and the mouth of the Mander. “Weddings have become more perilous than battles, it would seem. Who was the poisoner? Is it known?”

“His uncle, it’s said. The Imp.”

Stannis ground his teeth. “A dangerous man. I learned that on the Blackwater. How do you come by this report?”

“The Lyseni still trade at King’s Landing. Salladhor Saan has no reason to lie to me.”

What names do the children of bastards get? If Daemon Sand wed Arianne Martell and they have a child, will the child be known as Sand or Martell?

You do know how to pick the examples :p

As Arianne is the ruler-to-be of Dorne, all her children, no matter who she would marry, would become Martells. Would her marriage require her to give up her position as heir (like Mariah Martell gave up her position as heir when she married Daeron the Good), her children would get her husband's name.

If two bastards wed, the child most likely is named with the last name of the father. There's an SSM somewhere stating that. That is, if two acknowledged bastards marry. If two unacknolwedged bastards marry, no last names are given (as neither will have a last name).

Thanks Consigliere. While browsing around I found the [TWOW Spoilers] Theon I - The Winds of Winter thread where Ran says:

For those who don't recall, the last action we saw from Winterfell at the end of ADwD (well, before Ramsay's "Pink Letter" to the Wall) was that Bolton was sending out the Manderlys and Freys to finally come to grips with Stannis, as the Freys had drawn swords against Manderly and they were at one another's throats. It appears that they ended up running into Mors Crowfood's forces, which had been creating a great deal of noise to provoke the attack. Now we learn that the Freys rode right into a trap tat Mors had prepared, Ser Aenys Frey is dead, and it was apparently a debacle.

Interestingly, at least at this point Crowfood is still not in direct contact with Stannis, and is apparently keeping station somewhere near Winterfell. Did the Manderlys never go through to attacking when the Freys fell into the trap? But now it looks like a new effort's being prepared -- Freys and Manderlys, and Ramsay Bolton behind. Theon even gives a guess at the force Roose will send out, about half his numbers -- it'd be interesting to tally up the Frey, Manderly, and Bolton contingents to see how many Bolton men will be following Ramsay in that scenario. I'll have to check the book.

Regarding why Asha opts for the islet, I think it has to be the bird keeping on about "Tree, tree, tree" putting it into her head. Not directly, not as if Bran went in and put it in her head, but basically he just nudged it enough. Mostly, yes, from her perspective I think it's a gamble that maybe when it comes to it, Stannis will stay his hand. I wonder if she means to put forward some proposal connected to Tycho's dealings with her, given that he's ransomed her men. I can only assume that the Iron Bank has agreed to lend money to Asha for the purpose of dethroning the notorious reaver-king Euron (bad for business, as far as the Iron Bank would be concerned), and obviously Theon ties quite directly into these plans (as we saw in ADwD, when she thought of the story of the ironborn claimant to the throne who was deliberately kept out of the kingsmoot, and so was able to overturn the result).

As far as timeline goes, George makes it clear in his comment that this chapter takes place before some of the ADwD chapters -- e.g., it's before Jon's final chapter.

Archived