Small Questions v. 10096

Rhaenys_Targaryen

Show-only. Definitly not canonical.. No mention of them in the books whatsoever.

I assumed that they are show's creation because of "Petyr Baratheon". At first moment when I saw it on the internet I thought that it's next insane theory that Littlefinger is a secret Baratheon ;)

I assumed that they are show's creation because of "Petyr Baratheon". At first moment when I saw it on the internet I thought that it's next insane theory that Littlefinger is a secret Baratheon ;)

Sssh... you might put idea's in people's heads... :)

The episode they "appeared" in was Kissed by fire, for those interested :)

IIRC, Craster doesn't say that Waymar's was the last group he saw. He simply says that he had seen Benjen three yeas ago for the last time, and saw Waymar a year ago. There's nothing about 'last' group that he saw, leaving the possibility for more ranging groups in between.. like those send out after Benjen, who could have passed Craster and given him the news.

Ahh, right you are. Thanks for that :)

I'm on my second read through of ACOK and in Jon III Craster mentions that he hasn't seen Benjen Stark and that the last rangers he saw were Waymar Royce's group. He then mentions that he heard Gared was beheaded. How does he have this information if hasn't seen any rangers since Royce's groups stopped by? Any ideas?

As mentioned above, other rangers may have passed by. I also recall Mance stating to Jon that he knew a lot about happenings in the realm and on the Wall because there was much more communication between the Watch and the Free Folk than most people realized (that is how Mance knew Robert was visiting Winterfell.) It is likely the Free Folk shared information about Gared with Craster; Gared had been a ranger long enough to be known to many of them. We know of a certain that Mance approached him about joining his march on the Wall but Craster wouldn't leave because he had an arrangement with the Others in place. Other FF likely stopped by during the past year as well due to Craster's location and the nomadic lifestyle of some of the FF. Good question, though.

So... do we know where Varys was from Tyrion's release to the ADWD epilogue? I always assumed he was just hiding in the dungeons in KL when I read but was wondering if i missed something.

As a side note, the show seems to be writing some fanfiction about him going to Essos with Tyrion, but that made me think maybe it was possible he did do so without Tyrion's (or the readers') knowledge?

It is very possible. Tyrion may even have seen the master of disguise in Illyrio's manse without recognizing him, but I think we would have been given a relatively more obvious hint if that were the author's intention. Illyrio's visit to King's Landing in Game shows how easy it would be.

Do we know anything else about Banefort´s "Hooded Man"? I posted it elsewhere: a possibly reference to it may be the Hooded Wayfarer, a braavosi deity for poor people.

The author doesn't refer to him as the Hooded Man. He's called the Hooded Man by fans for easy reference.

Where exactly is the Quiet Isle? I'm too lazy to google for it.

Right next to the Saltpans and it's very very small.

My question is:

Elk was the name Europeans gave to the animal which we now know as elk, because they thought it was a moose (and it's not) - i.e. they caled/call moose "elk". Keeping it oldschool linguistically, and given it being giant, I think that is what GRRM means by the elk that Coldhands rides - a moose. Am I mistaken, is someone with me, or is there any shrink of evidence towards either?

Right next to the Saltpans and it's very very small.

My question is:

Elk was the name Europeans gave to the animal which we now know as elk, because they thought it was a moose (and it's not) - i.e. they caled/call moose "elk". Keeping it oldschool linguistically, and given it being giant, I think that is what GRRM means by the elk that Coldhands rides - a moose. Am I mistaken, is someone with me, or is there any shrink of evidence towards either?

Speaking as a European (Englishman) I always pictured Coldhands riding a moose. Although I know what a Elk is it was still a moose in my mind.

Archived