Small Questions v. 10096

Rhaenys_Targaryen

Speaking as a European (Englishman) I always pictured Coldhands riding a moose. Although I know what a Elk is it was still a moose in my mind.

Right - in my mind, too, and I knew the word as being a moose. Also an European here but slavic, and the words are totally different.

The Hornwoods have a moose sigil, suggesting it is a distinct animal from the Elk.

For what it's worth I always pictured a moose too.

Damn, and they are northerners too, so Bran would know to make that difference, even most probably know the sigil. Well, us three pictured a moose, so it's something :D

Is the Mountain the tallest man in Westeros? I don't have the numbers compared to Greatjon, Smalljon, Hodor, and even Hoster Blackwood.

From Ned's point of view:

By then Ser Gregor Clegane was in position at the head of the lists. He was huge, the biggest man that Eddard Stark had ever seen. Robert Baratheon and his brothers were all big men, as was the Hound, and back at Winterfell there was a simpleminded stableboy named Hodor who dwarfed them all, but the knight they called the Mountain That Rides would have towered over Hodor. He was well over seven feet tall, closer to eight, with massive shoulders and arms thick as the trunks of small trees. His destrier seemed a pony in between his armored legs, and the lance he carried looked as small as a broom handle.

So, yeah.

That's Ned POV. The not so cool thing about POV is that all is basically left to each POV interpretation. I reckon seeing the Mountain for the first time might be a shocker, even for a man used to see an amiable huge stableboy back home. Even more, when Gregor is fully armored and he's more muscled than Hodor, he might look bigger than he really is. I wonder if George will come with semicanon numbers comparing those towering beasts.

It is said his greatsword, Gregor's, is about 6 feet tall. Damn. The Greatjon's sword is said to be as long as a young Robb, so let's make it about 173cms. You can't wield a long sword if you are not sufficiently tall and strong, so I'll put the Greatjon very close to Gregor.

But yeh, I hope we see some essosi 8 feet tall as gladiators or sumthn.

In summary, this large animal, Alces alces, is always called a "moose" in American English but called an "elk" in British English. That same word "elk," as used by a North American, means a completely different and only somewhat related animal, wapiti Cervus canadensis.

Thanks, Wikipedia, that moose-or-elk discussion really got me worried. North Americans being slightly confused by wapitis, is all. No wapitis in Europe, hence the elk is an elk and may be called moose, but no wapiti.

That's Ned POV. The not so cool thing about POV is that all is basically left to each POV interpretation.

Well Marq Piper, Karyl Vance and Raymun Darry agree with Ned :

The brewer, Joss, shook his head. "It grieves me, m'lord, but no, the armor they showed us was plain, only the one who led them, he was armored like the rest, but there was no mistaking him all the same. It was the size of him, m'lord. Those as say the giants are all dead never saw this one, I swear. Big as an ox he was, and a voice like stone breaking."

"The Mountain!" Ser Marq said loudly. "Can any man doubt it? This was Gregor Clegane's work."

Ned heard muttering from beneath the windows and the far end of the hall. Even in the galley, nervous whispers were exchanged. High lords and smallfolk alike knew what it could mean if Ser Marq was proved right. Ser Gregor Clegane stood bannerman to Lord Tywin Lannister.

He studied the frightened faces of the villagers. Small wonder they had been so fearful; they had thought they were being dragged here to name Lord Tywin a red-handed butcher before a king who was his son by marriage. He wondered if the knights had given them a choice.

Grand Maester Pycelle rose ponderously from the council table, his chain of office clinking. "Ser Marq, with respect, you cannot know that this outlaw was Ser Gregor. There are many large men in the realm."

"As large as the Mountain That Rides?" Ser Karyl said. "I have never met one."

"Nor has any man here," Ser Raymun added hotly. "Even his brother is a pup beside him. My lords, open your eyes. Do you need to see his seal of the corpses? It was Gregor."

Okay theres another question of mine. Where are the Lengii? They're the Asian-type people, right? I read TWoIaF and their chapter, but I can't remember right now. Are they on Essos?

Leng is a large island in the Jade Sea, off the southern coast of Essos. To the north is the city of Jinqi in Yi Ti. To the east are the Shadow Lands, and to the south are the Manticore Isles. The island of Marahai is to the southwest.

^ Its not that simple, there were a few possibilities given in the worldbook and the simple fact that they hadn't conquered Essos yet is also a logical conclusion to make. It was also said they feared the end of the world would come out of westeros (white walkers implied).

In any event, Lannister gold may very well have played a hand in the doom. You can check out the World of Ice and Fire subforum to learn more.

Archived