Small Questions v. 10096

Rhaenys_Targaryen

I have several small questions:

1) i wonder why at the beginning of AGOT theres snow in both the north and beyond the wall (prologue), but in later chapters not, like in ACOK.

2) characters in asoiaf often refer to the seven hells, but sometimes one mentions simply THE hell, like dolorous edd when the nights watch resides at crasters keep. Whats the matter with that? Do they believe in one hell and seven hells is more like an expression, because seven is a sacred number?

3) whats the matter with those knights who believe in rhllor, like many of the queens men and some members of the brotherhood without banners? I thought knighthood is something related to andal customs and the faith of the seven? Also, when ser beric knights gendry, he mentions gods, not god. And we know he worships rhllor.

3) http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/115959-the-power-of-beric-and-catelyn-comes-from-the-old-gods-not-the-lord-of-light-and-jaime-will-be-next/ :)

Without any text to back it up, I would presume that the Lannisters use red and that the Starks use some sort of off white/grayish colour.

Thanks I know when Robb sent Jon a letter when Bran woke up that the Stark seal was described so that makes sense.

I would think the Lannisters would use gold for their seal but you're most likely right.

I would think the Lannisters would use gold for their seal but you're most likely right.

It's gold indeed. From Clash 03 :

The eunuch Varys took the letter and turned it in his delicate powdered hands. "How kind of Lord Tywin. And his sealing wax is such a lovely shade of gold." Varys gave the seal a close inspection. "It gives every appearance of being genuine."

Tyrion doesn't show any, nor does he think of it later on (after the reveal in the Jon chapter).

Aemon has been at the Wall for so long, it might not be strange if the younger generation doesn't know it..

I dont buy that. Tyrion is a smart man, he loves history and reading about the world. It was no secret that Aemon and Bloodraven went to The Wall and it would have been documented in several books over the years, books that Tyrion would have almost certainly read.

Hard to say. @Rhaenys_Targaryen's argument is rather sound, otoh Tyrion not groking Aemon with that very Targaryen name and being 100 years old is the same Aemon Targaryen who came to the wall a number of generations ago is a big gap. Maybe one of GRRM's famous little errors.

eta:

Or - maybe Tyrion does not need to show us all of his thoughts.

reported

Tyrion doesn't show any, nor does he think of it later on (after the reveal in the Jon chapter).

Aemon has been at the Wall for so long, it might not be strange if the younger generation doesn't know it..

He knew more about Brown Ben's lineage than Brown Ben. I have no doubt that when he met Maester Aemon at the Wall and saw how old he was that he knew right away the man was the same man Aegon V "sent [ ] north aboard the Golden Dragon, and insisted that his friend Ser Duncan see [him] safe to Eastwatch. No recruit had arrived at the Wall with so much pomp since Nymeria sent the Watch six kings in golden fetters. Egg emptied out the dungeons too, so [Aemon] would not need to say[his] vows alone.[Aemon's] honor guard, he called them. One was no less a man than Brynden Rivers. Later he was chosen lord commander." There's no way Tyrion missed that during history lessons, and he's already proven quite adept at relating history to current events.

Hard to say. @Rhaenys_Targaryen's argument is rather sound, otoh Tyrion not groking Aemon with that very Targaryen name and being 100 years old is the same Aemon Targaryen who came to the wall a number of generations ago is a big gap. Maybe one of GRRM's famous little errors.

eta:

Or - maybe Tyrion does not need to show us all of his thoughts.

reported

Sharing that thought would not have added anything to the narrative.

Archived