Small Questions v. 10096

Rhaenys_Targaryen

TPATQ says Meleys was no stranger to battle. Which battles? Is it possible Rhaenys took her to war in the Stepstones, or was it during in Jaehaerys rebellion against Maegor, possibly with a different rider (Aerea? Rhalla?)? Any other battles?

Thanks.

She's not mentioned fighting in the Stepstones during Daemon's war there, but it's possible. Also possible someone from the Three Daughters tried to attack Driftmark and she fought them off. She was described as an old dragon, so it's also possible she fought her battles elsewhere before Daemon's invasion of the Stepstones.

Phew! Just finished ADWD!

I have a small question about Maege Mormont - I remember Robb sending her North before the Red Wedding. What was this for again?

Also, did we hear from her again after this? I can't remember. If not, are we to assume she died when encountering the Iron Men?

Robb sends Maege and Galbart to The Neck to seek out Howland Reed. Their message was to tell him to send guides to Robb for his planned attack on Moat Cailin. They may also be in possession of Robb's will.

According to Alysane in ADwD, Maege is with her other two daughters; Lyra and Jory. Does not mention where they are though.

Robb sends Maege and Galbart to The Neck to seek out Howland Reed. Their message was to tell him to send guides to Robb for his planned attack on Moat Cailin. They may also be in possession of Robb's will.

According to Alysane in ADwD, Maege is with her other two daughters; Lyra and Jory. Does not mention where they are though.

Thank you, I remember now.

I feel like now I've just finished ADwD, I've forgot loads of stuff from the first three books!

I feel a re-read is in order.....

She's not mentioned fighting in the Stepstones during Daemon's war there, but it's possible. Also possible someone from the Three Daughters tried to attack Driftmark and she fought them off. She was described as an old dragon, so it's also possible she fought her battles elsewhere before Daemon's invasion of the Stepstones.

The Rogue Prince had information cut - though not as much as was the case with The Princess and the Queen - but I guess it is possible a more detailed description of some of the battles at the Stepstones were ommitted.

I was under the impression that Rogue Prince was a part of The Princess and the Queen, but under the guise of being about Daemon. Thanks! It just seemed like it made sense that she would maybe accompany Corlys and Daemon to the Stepstones, but then she was probably running Driftmark.

I was under the impression that Rogue Prince was a part of The Princess and the Queen, but under the guise of being about Daemon. Thanks! It just seemed like it made sense that she would maybe accompany Corlys and Daemon to the Stepstones, but then she was probably running Driftmark.

TRP and TPATQ are both part of Fire and Blood, the work of Grand Maester Gyldyan, detailing the reigns of kings from Aegon I to Aegon V.

Also, is it said that the Tyrells held any titles/lands before the Gardners got roasted? And on that note, is Tully and Tyrell considered the youngest of the great houses?

I know house Baratheon technically is youngest but they are pretty much Durradon to me so they get a pass.

Which Northern houses are confirmed to march with Stannis on the march to Winterfell? I kinda don't trust the wiki

Use the source, Luke!

ADwD chapter 42 The King's Prize (Asha II) middle of the second paragraph:

Before them marched the clansmen from the hills;

They will be the Flint from North of the Wolfswood, they are mentioned in the chapter, some Liddle, Norrey, Branch and Wull. Besides House Mormont, some Karstark, (some Umber in theory, they arrived at WF on their own), did I forget anything? There may be more clans not mentioned by name or overlooked by me. There should be some Glover men if there were any left to go with Stannis.

P.S. What's wrong with the Wiki?

Which Northern houses are confirmed to march with Stannis on the march to Winterfell? I kinda don't trust the wiki

IIRC, only mountain clans and houses Mormont and Karstark. Also, Stannis mentions that several survivors of the battle of Winterfell found and joined his army.

Now, there are several others who plot to topple Boltons and join Stannis (Glovers, Manderlys...), but they're currently not marching with him.

Also, is it said that the Tyrells held any titles/lands before the Gardners got roasted? And on that note, is Tully and Tyrell considered the youngest of the great houses?

I know house Baratheon technically is youngest but they are pretty much Durradon to me so they get a pass.

No, Tyrells were stewards for house Gardener - much like Vayon Poole was Winterfell's steward. They were held in high regard by Gardeners, but it's not mentioned that they held any lands.

The Wiki is pretty reliable for these kinds of facts. The problembis when you get into nuance and speculation. Now, what's a house? Is it the lord? Is it the lord's representative? Is it a few men-at-arms? For example, is House Mormont marching with Stannis? Is House Hornwood?

Glover sent men, although no listed Glover men, but since they were Glover vassals, he has house Glovers support. Mormont,, (treacherous) Karstark, Mountsin clans, wolfswood clans (Glover men) and survivors from Winterfell. I don't know if those survivors really count as having house Cerwyn support though etc. Umbers outside Wintefell also.

House Poole as an example isn't completely sound, since they might hold lands, (otherwise they wouldn't be a house right?). Tully was a house before, but not Great, then Baratheon became Durrandon. Tyrell as great lord was last, but they have been a house for a while. So as a great house, Tyrell.

House Poole as an example isn't completely sound, since they might hold lands, (otherwise they wouldn't be a house right?). Tully was a house before, but not Great, then Baratheon became Durrandon. Tyrell as great lord was last, but they have been a house for a while. So as a great house, Tyrell.

I think it is entirely possible to have a last name, and belong to a "House" of sorts, without having any lands.

I do believe the Pooles were a good example as I doubt they have lands - same for Houses Cassel and Mullen.

I guess in the South, it might be explained by landless knights having kids - e.g. I'd assume if Duck married and had trueborn kids, they'd be called Duckfield. 5 generations from now, they might end up as some lord's stewards.

There's also the case of the Andal "adventurers" with a last name, but ending up landless. I guess some Northern landless Houses could also be descendants of First Men migrants with a last name that ended up settling down landless in the service of some lord or king.

Also, descendants of Houses that held lands, but got them confiscated at some point, yet were allowed to survive. Hollard comes to mind, tho I'm not sure they had lands to begin with (same case as Tyrrells/Pooles). Returned exiled might count too.

I think it is entirely possible to have a last name, and belong to a "House" of sorts, without having any lands.

I do believe the Pooles were a good example as I doubt they have lands - same for Houses Cassel and Mullen.

I guess in the South, it might be explained by landless knights having kids - e.g. I'd assume if Duck married and had trueborn kids, they'd be called Duckfield. 5 generations from now, they might end up as some lord's stewards.

There's also the case of the Andal "adventurers" with a last name, but ending up landless. I guess some Northern landless Houses could also be descendants of First Men migrants with a last name that ended up settling down landless in the service of some lord or king.

Also, descendants of Houses that held lands, but got them confiscated at some point, yet were allowed to survive. Hollard comes to mind, tho I'm not sure they had lands to begin with (same case as Tyrrells/Pooles). Returned exiled might count too.

It seems strange that house Stark would rule the entire Stark lands. I see no harm in them having lands. It's not a Varys type situation. A house usually entails land. The Andals that have last names but no lands, well, they aren't nobility are they?

Hollard most certainly had land, since they had a castle. The Cassels and Mollens and Pooles are all exile Northmen come back?

Nah. It's them being younger brothers etc IMO.

Archived