WHEEL OF TIME officially optioned for television

Werthead

Easy to say, much harder to do. I'm not really in any position to talk about it having not finished the series, but even the half I did read would be very difficult to faithfully adapt on screen. It's all well and good to say Season X should cover books A, B and C, but I wonder what the result would be of actually plotting out what events would fit into each episode. The first three books would be pretty simple to do as they're fairly straightforward. The latter ones far less so. Which is why there is some appeal in just adapting those three and retrofitting the ending onto the Dragon Reborn somehow. But that cuts out a lot of the heart of the series, and risks making it too conventional and Lotr esque. If it wasn't already.

That summary works pretty well, Wert.

This might be unpopular, but I think you could eliminate Perrin and not lose much from a TV adaptation. Rand's not going to disappear into the background and brood for a long time like in the books, so you could fold some of what Perrin did into Rand and Mat's storylines, and stream-line the rest.

I used to think the CGI costs would be too high, but I'm not as convinced of that as I once was. The magic is often invisible aside from its effects (except during big battle scenes), the Trollocs could be played by extras wearing rubber masks and outfits after being shrunk to human size, and the battles would presumably be quite sparse.

This might be unpopular, but I think you could eliminate Perrin and not lose much from a TV adaptation. Rand's not going to disappear into the background and brood for a long time like in the books, so you could fold some of what Perrin did into Rand and Mat's storylines, and stream-line the rest.

I used to think the CGI costs would be too high, but I'm not as convinced of that as I once was. The magic is often invisible aside from its effects (except during big battle scenes), the Trollocs could be played by extras wearing rubber masks and outfits after being shrunk to human size, and the battles would presumably be quite sparse.

I don't think it's necessary to remove Perrin completely, but I think the show might benefit from being willing to not show characters for long periods of time if they don't have anything important to do. One of the reasons for the increasingly slow pace in later books seem to be the need to invent drawn-out plotlines to give all the major characters something to do and since plotlines have to be cut they would be a prime example.

I think in terms of CGI and budget the biggest problem will be The Last Battle. Even if it isn't as ridiculously lengthy as it is in the final book it's still going to be anticlimatic if it isn't more epic than any battle yet seen on a TV show, it should dwarf the battles on GoT.

I did a big series of articles a couple of years back on how you can adapt WoT.

It's challenging - more challenging than GoT - but doable. In fact, it's more doable now thanks to the advent of companies like Amazon and Netflix funding entire seasons. You can go to Amazon and ask them to check their sales figures for the series for the past seventeen years to see how popular it would be.

As for the season breakdown:

Season 1: The Eye of the World and The Great Hunt

This season introduces the principal storylines and characters. Thematically it is Rand's story of self-discovery as he uncovers the truth of his birth and his destiny and initially tries to reject it. Season finale: the battle between Rand and Ba'alzamon at Falme and the destruction of the Seanchan expeditionary force by the Heroes of the Horn of Valere.

Season 2: The Dragon Reborn and The Shadow Rising

This season sees Rand investigate the truth of his background and what he is fated to do. He decides to seize the reigns and take control of his own destiny and recruit his own allies. Season finale: Rand uniting the Aiel clans at Alcair Dal.

Season 3: The Fires of Heaven and Lord of Chaos

The turning-point of the series as Rand (and, to a lesser extent, his friends) become famous and major players in the affairs of governments as the continent falls into warfare and chaos. Season finale: the Battle of Dumai's Wells, naturally.

Season 4: A Crown of Swords, The Path of Daggers and Winter's Heart

Rand consolidates his gains and alliances, confronts the resurgent Seanchan and, ultimately, challenges the Dark Ones taint on saidin. Season finale: the Cleansing.

Season 5: Crossroads of Twilight, Knife of Dreams and The Gathering Storm

Rand's journey into the heart of darkness and, ultimately, out of the other side. Season finale: Rand's epiphany atop Dragonmount and Egwene reunifying the Aes Sedai in the face of the Seanchan threat.

Season 6: Towers of Midnight and A Memory of Light

Rand finally confronts the Dark One. Season/series finale: the Last Battle.

And of course you can do it in 7 seasons by just doing 2 books per season, although you can do CoT in like 3 episodes tops. The creepy salt village stuff actually could make an effective episode on-screen, but otherwise there's not much content there. Maybe actually show the massive Sea Folk/Seanchan battle in Ebou Dar and have Mat and his companions escaping during the chaos?

For this to work you'd need 14-16 episodes per season. At 12 (6 eps per book) it's going to be tough. 10 I think would be right out of the question.

Nice one, Wert. Looking forward to your take on the inevitable Bakker adaptation.

Not even that far. "So you're proposing that we include a child being attacked in the first episode?" *Scriptwriter fired*.

Seriously, though, it'd be interesting to see the showrunners change things up to eliminate some or most of the rapiness. Likely over Bakker's protests, unless he just sells them the rights and walks away.

Late breaking news: Red Eagle is suing Harriet for "slander":

http://www.reddit.com/r/WoT/comments/2vqaet/red_eagle_suing_bandersnatch_behind_a/

Full text of the article:

Law360, San Diego (February 12, 2015, 8:08 PM ET) -- The producers of a TV adaptation of Robert Jordan’s “Wheel of Time” fantasy book series accused the author’s widow of slander on Thursday in California federal court, alleging she publicly ridiculed the pilot that aired days before the producers’ rights were set to expire.

Red Eagle Entertainment LLC’s 30-minute pilot for the series aired on FXX in the early hours of Feb. 9, at 1:30 a.m. EST, and was quickly derided by fans and writers for its low-budget special effects, slow pacing and stilted acting. Red Eagle’s rights to the series would have expired on Feb. 11 if it hadn’t aired anything.

Jordan’s widow Harriet McDougal released a statement Monday distancing herself from the pilot. She claimed that her company Bandersnatch Group Inc., which is Jordan’s successor in interest, had a deal with Universal Pictures to produce the show, not Red Eagle.

“I see no mention of Universal in the ‘pilot,’” she wrote. “Nor, I repeat, was Bandersnatch, or Robert Jordan's estate, informed of this in any way. I am dumbfounded by this occurrence, and am taking steps to prevent its reoccurrence.”

Red Eagle alleges that it granted some rights to Universal but they reverted back to Red Eagle last year. McDougal knew Universal was no longer involved because she and her lawyers were told about the rights change, according to the suit. Her statement was meant to disparage the show and cast doubt on Red Eagle’s legal ability to produce the pilot, the company alleged.

“Instead of confirming the rights for which she has been so richly compensated for, McDougal sought to harm the business prospects of [Red Eagle] by making statements she knew to be false,” Red Eagle said.

Red Eagle’s dealing with Jordan dates back to 2004, when a subsidiary paid Jordan $35,000 for a one-year option to buy movie and TV rights for the first of 15 books in the “Wheel of Time” series. The company eventually paid another $595,000 to extend the option and buy the rights, which would revert back to Bandersnatch if nothing came of the deal, according to the complaint.

The subsidiary, Manetheren LLC, signed a separate deal with Universal in 2009, giving it an interest in making films or a TV show based on the book, but the rights came back to Manetheren in February 2014 because Universal hadn’t started shooting by then, the complaint said.

McDougal was invited last year to a series of meetings between Manetheren, Sony Pictures Television and Radar Pictures LLC about a possible TV series and offered to serve as a consultant, according to the suit. Red Eagle claims McDougal never raised any concerns about Manetheren’s rights to go ahead with the show.

Manetheren further claims McDougal breached a 2008 deal over comic book rights, with both sides agreeing not to make any negative or contentious public statements about each other. And contrary to McDougal’s released statement, Manetheren was not required to get her approval before releasing the show, the producers said.

Representatives for the parties did not immediately respond Thursday to requests for comment.

Red Eagle is represented by Jonathan D. Freund and Stephen P. Crump of Freund & Brackey LLP.

Counsel information for the defendants was not immediately available.

The case is Red Eagle Entertainment LLC et al. v. Bandersnatch Group Inc. et al., case number 2:15-cv-01038, in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California.

--Editing by Emily Kokoll.

I hesitated to just say that outright, but yes, that's what happens. Bran getting shoved out of a window on impulse by Jaime is not the same as a child being stalked and raped in the prologue of The Darkness That Comes Before (although said child gets revenge).

Not even that far. "So you're proposing that we include a child being attacked in the first episode?" *Scriptwriter fired*.

Seriously, though, it'd be interesting to see the showrunners change things up to eliminate some or most of the rapiness. Likely over Bakker's protests, unless he just sells them the rights and walks away.

I can't remember if an option was actually take out (probably not, given Bakker's apparent financial issues), but Chris Weitz, the director of The Golden Compass, Twilight: New Moon and A Better Life, and the co-director of About a Boy and American Pie (!), is a big fan of the books and was very keen on adapting them. It didn't go very far and Weitz has now pinned his fantasy plans on directing an Elric film instead.

I think Bakker said ages ago that it was about to be optioned, and then the recession hit and they decided to pass.

Hmm. Maybe I'll start a "hypothetical Second Apocalypse adaptation ideas" thread.

Hmm, what better way to fight negative publicity and win over Jordan's fans than to sue his widow?

Seriously. Even if they do manage to find a partner to produce a real TV series out of the books (very unlikely given their history of incompetence), that type of behavior is toxic to fans building you all the free hype you'll want and need.

Passing over the dickery of the move, it's worth noting that:

1) Red Eagle made a ton of money on the deal. They bought the rights for $600K and sold them for at least $1 million to Universal (potentially as high as $9.9 million, but that's improbable).
2) The initial purchase was for The Eye of the World by itself. Presumably the later one was for the full series. If so, Robert Jordan got some bad advice as that was peanuts to pay for a series that had sold 40 million copies by that point. If not, Red Eagle can't adapt the whole series (and won't have made that any more likely due to their behaviour this week). This would go some way to explaining why no adaptation of the biggest non-adapted fantasy series on the planet has gotten off the ground whilst far less successful works are getting picked up all over the place.
3) The same studio that made Breaking Bad was interested in a deal, and may still be. That's pretty big news.

Yeah, theyre basically saying if you thought that was a dick move wait till you see this!

If a series somehow gets made by them, and if it's somehow good (big assumptions, I know), do you really think fans will boycott watching because of legal shenanigans that had no impact on them?

If a series somehow gets made by them, and if it's somehow good (big assumptions, I know), do you really think fans will boycott watching because of legal shenanigans that had no impact on them?

No.

Fans will say that they will boycott it and then go online to talk about it five minutes later. Possibly by saying, "Ah, but I downloaded it not to give them the satisfaction!"

Archived