WHEEL OF TIME officially optioned for television

Werthead

1 hour ago, A True Kaniggit said:

6.  If you're going to stop without finishing the series I'd say six. The end of that novel is fairly exciting.

Edit: Actually, your post says "about". I suppose that word includes book six. 

Yeah plot thread wise, but I’ve always strongly disliked book 6.

Whoa. Guess I should post at least two serious posts about the show. (Long Sexy Eyebrows are serious)

I really hope they get Moraine right (and by right, I of course I mean the way I view her and no one else). In nearly every scene we see her she should be an unknown, with the audience questioning her motives until we get to read the letter she sends to Rand. (If they get that far without cancellation, please let that be a great, heart-wrenching scene). 

2 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I think they could just about do all of Winter's Heart in one episode. Light send the series gets that far.

And 80% of book 10 can be done with a music montage. :lol:

They're apparently going to release teases every Wednesday for some time, called WoTWednesdays, so I'm hopeful this progresses well, and Amazon announces their plans for the show officially, and soon. I'm surprised a second episode has been written before Pilot approval. Is this standard?

Not as such. There's a Hollywood practice called "amberlighting" (er, by me, I don't know what the industry name is) where the studio tells the showrunner the project is going ahead but they haven't announced it yet, and can't for legal reasons, so legally the whole thing can still fall apart, but from a practical standpoint they can't wait to start preproduction until it is formally greenlit, so they have to give an unofficial nod to start writing and pre-production on later episodes before they confirm they're being made.

GoT did that every year and I think some other shows have done it from time to time, but this the first time I've seen it happening quite so blatantly since GoT.

I think this is not the case that it's basically an unofficial approval of production. If you look around at Amazon's history with pilots and orders of additional scripts, or other shows during pilot season at the networks, it's not uncommon for a pilot to produced, and while they're positive they have notes and rather than reshoot a pilot (expensive) they look at how the creatives apply their notes to additional scripts and maybe go ahead there. Or not. Lots of dead pilots that had additional script orders. One example from Amazon is "The Cosmopolitans". They did a pilot which they aired, they ordered additional scripts, and now it's dead.

So, I don't know. I think it likely Amazon will go ahead with this, but Amazon in particular has been quite open to getting properties, trying pilots and development, and then deciding no.

What will be interesting is seeing if WoT, ConanCulture and Ringworld go through the Amazon pilot process or get straight-to-series orders like LotR. I think because of the money on the table (Sony stumped up seven figures for the rights, and Amazon presumably had to kick some of that back when they optioned it), WoT might get a straight order as well.

3 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

OK,  but what about spanking?

Yeah, I don't see them having a man spank an adult woman, unless in a consensual sexual way. Might be a bit of switching at Tar Valon though.

I imagine that just like GoT didn't cast a 13 year old for Daenerys, and so on, and the dialogue was dumbed down for a more general audience, WoT won't be having any spanking, sniffing, sighing, and most other archaic forms of communication and punishment. It will, likely, have some boobs and plenty of gore. 

6 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Yeah, I don't see them having a man spank an adult woman, unless in a consensual sexual way. Might be a bit of switching at Tar Valon though.

I honestly don't remember that happens in the books?  

Edit:  It's a long ways down the road but I'm curious how they will play off the Queen raping Mat.

In any case Myrddraal should make an appearance in the first episode. I hope they're properly terrifying.

Now that I think about it, why not have the Trolloc Rand talks with be replaced by a Myrddraal? It's not like we have Trollocs speaking English anymore in the rest of the series. 

On 8/4/2018 at 3:25 AM, A True Kaniggit said:

In any case Myrddraal should make an appearance in the first episode. I hope they're properly terrifying.

Now that I think about it, why not have the Trolloc Rand talks with be replaced by a Myrddraal? It's not like we have Trollocs speaking English anymore in the rest of the series. 

My God... the fan rage if you replaced Narg in any way would be a sight to see...

:stunned:

On 8/4/2018 at 2:25 AM, A True Kaniggit said:

Because Rand having a sword wouldn't make any Myrdraal pause one bit. It would just come at him and he'd be dead in seconds. 

Besides, Narg smart, ok?

4 hours ago, Ran said:

Only deciding there's no Bela could cause a greater riot.

Even I here in Serbia know that would be a big "no-no"

Speaking of that, have I imagined there was a huge decision on Sanderson to make regarding Bela living or dying? I remember there was some talk about it, but I can't remember what it was.

My recollection is that Sanderson wrote her as being killed by a trolloc arrow, and then said that he tried twice to keep her alive but Harriet thought it was cheating and had her killed. Then apparently Harriet denied that this was true, or maybe that there had been a miscommunication, but in any case the Wheel of Time Companion book she oversaw explicitly states that while it was believed she was killed, in fact she was not and went on to return to the Two Rivers and have some colts or something.

Per Sanderson, her "death" was the topic he most heard about at signings.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

My recollection is that Sanderson wrote her as being killed by a trolloc arrow, and then said that he tried twice to keep her alive but Harriet thought it was cheating and had her killed. Then apparently Harriet denied that this was true, or maybe that there had been a miscommunication, but in any case the Wheel of Time Companion book she oversaw explicitly states that while it was believed she was killed, in fact she was not and went on to return to the Two Rivers and have some colts or something.

Per Sanderson, her "death" was the topic he most heard about at signings.

Thought she was tied to the horn now or something

Archived