WHEEL OF TIME officially optioned for television

Werthead

I read the synopsis first, and that answers any question about why this exists. You don't make a WoT 'pilot' that's just the prologue if you really, seriously intend to do a series in the immediate future.

I thought the acting by both main leads was... variable, sometimes good, sometimes terrible. The intro/outro was awful. Overall, the thing was interesting but no more than that.

To be fair to the actors, some of the material in that is impossible to act well, especially those cheesy chasing the family around parts

I find the drama surrounding why the pilot was made to be far more entertaining than the pilot itself, or probably than any actual WoT show would be.

This.

Man that was bad. Or the parts I didn't skim past were bad.

Hope Harriet gets the rights back.

Jordan did not describe scenes of gore and nudity in as much detail as GRRM did, but they are there, and there are plenty.

True enough. Though i'd argue that if they go down the gorey sexposition route like GoT then it wouldn't be a loyal adaptation of the books.

As for tits, they could always just increase the Seafolk's role. For gore...... well as far as I know GoT doesn't have thousands of people just explode in piles of guts and blood from an invisible power. I think WoT crushes GoT on that front.

I hope not, the Seafolk were tedious. The exploding people is the ashaman scene I think? it's been a long time since I read it... but wasn't it trollocs exploding? which would be very different to people, more like ninja turtles killing robots foot soliders or lotr killing thousands of orcs.

In any case my point is WoT is cartoonish in comparison to GoT in terms of casual gore, sex and profanity - and Hbo has made those things an integral part of the show's mass appeal.

The exploding people is the ashaman scene I think? it's been a long time since I read it... but wasn't it trollocs exploding? which would be very different to people, more like ninja turtles killing robots foot soliders or lotr killing thousands of orcs.

It was the Shaido Aiel. There were no Trollops in Dumai's Wells.

Holy crap that was bad. Personally, I've always thought that WoT would do better as an animated series. Much easier to get the scope of it right and depict the use of the power. For this story to work on screen, the FX budget would have to be huge in order for it not to look cheesy, and I really doubt that this story could generate and maintain the numbers to make that a plausible reality.

I agree. The landscapes in WoT are perfect for an animated adaptation. It can have a distinctive look without costing the earth in CGI work.

Plus, then you can spend the money on hiring good voice actors.

Thirded. And ultra-long running animated series (like the Japanese manga's that have several hundred episodes) that is highly faithful to the books, except for the last two or 3, or maybe open slather on re-imagining everything from Winter's Heart onwards.

Who am I kidding? I probably won't watch any from of screen adaptation of WoT because I already know what happens and I know the final 3rd id the saga is lame.

It’s also amusing that, elsewhere, the fanboys are complaining about hair color changes as is the case with every adaptation.

There's two reasons for that. First: they actually called her "Sunhair" in the pilot. I know of no logical way a brunette could be called that.

Second, having her have the same hair color as the books requires a wig, at best, or a blonde extra, at worst, since she has no speaking role.

Its just a particularly obvious sign of how shoddy a production this was.

Did anyone notice that Ishy's eyes are the wrong color? HONESTLY.

And maybe I'm the only one that remembers, but that isn't actually how the story ends! Even though the main story ends with LTT burying himself in the Prologue, there's this side story that introduces a bunch of new characters, and goes on for like 14 more books! But of course Hollywood couldn't be bothered to tell the whole story. What a joke!

I hope not, the Seafolk were tedious. The exploding people is the ashaman scene I think? it's been a long time since I read it... but wasn't it trollocs exploding? which would be very different to people, more like ninja turtles killing robots foot soliders or lotr killing thousands of orcs.

In any case my point is WoT is cartoonish in comparison to GoT in terms of casual gore, sex and profanity - and Hbo has made those things an integral part of the show's mass appeal.

You're right with the Seafolk but then you are forgetting the Aiel, Aes Sedai testing, the Aiel, Shienaron Bathhouses, the Aiel etc. Pretty much every single major female character gets naked at one point or another as do the males. I honestly say there is way more T&A in the Wheel of Time then there is in ASoIaF. There just isn't any prostitutes and brothels.

I'm not sure the success of Game of Thrones will entail a successful WoT adaptation. A lot of the appeal of GoT for mainstream audiences was that there wasn't very much magic (there is now; we nerds bait and switched 'em!) and was a cross between The Sopranos or The Wire and Lord of the Rings. WoT on the other hand has a very traditional story structure and a lot of flashy magic right from the beginning. Obviously, the success of LoTR means that something like that can be successful, but I imagine there's a larger barrier to hurdle for mainstream success in a TV show, not to mention it would be more expensive than most expensive television show ever made.

There just isn't any prostitutes and brothels.

Yup. They don't exist in the WoT world. There do seem to be what can only be called male courtesans in some places though.

A lot of the appeal of GoT for mainstream audiences was that there wasn't very much magic

I doubt the absence of magic is what appeals to the mainstream. It sure did appeal to the people producing the show, since it definitely must have brought down the costs, but for the audience, I doubt they'd have much problem if Tyrion or Dany suddenly got the ability to rip the earth beneath their enemies feet.

There's two reasons for that. First: they actually called her "Sunhair" in the pilot. I know of no logical way a brunette could be called that.

Second, having her have the same hair color as the books requires a wig, at best, or a blonde extra, at worst, since she has no speaking role.

Its just a particularly obvious sign of how shoddy a production this was.

What if the golden hair isn’t on her head, but somewhere else?

I doubt the absence of magic is what appeals to the mainstream. It sure did appeal to the people producing the show, since it definitely must have brought down the costs, but for the audience, I doubt they'd have much problem if Tyrion or Dany suddenly got the ability to rip the earth beneath their enemies feet.

I think the lack of magic certainly helps, look at how often "gritty" and "realistic" are thrown around as adjectives for GoT. And more directly, its hard to really focus on the character interaction and soap opera-ness (which really is the main draw of GoT) when there's fireballs being thrown around everywhere. WoT certainly has the similar in scope plot and epic-ness of GoT, but, for the most part, the main characters aren't nearly as interesting.

Archived