Vikings season 3

cdawnb

"You are so horribly good, Helga!!!" Oh sweet seven, I love Floki

Overall really great premiere for S3. I thought everyone had a nice chance to shine and do something. A lot of random thoughts here:

--I think we're looking at a lot of Ragnar/Auslaug drama this season. There is so much tension there because I don't know if Ragnar ever really loved her like the way he loved Lagertha and now with Ivar and his condition....but I do feel bad for her. It's like he loved Auslaug for the children she could give him, not her her very self.

--This show is just so gorgeous. The scenic moments, the costumes, the hair....it's so nice to just look at. Also, I love when they switch into their native language.

--Ugh to Kalf and the drama back at Lagertha's homestead. She'll take care of them hopefully but is anyone else worried that Lagertha might die??? That opening scene was seriously ominous. Ecbert needs to keep his eyes off though (poor Athlestan, I felt so bad for him during that wagon ride)

--Kwenthrith....she wants Ragnar. Oh yes. And that battle at the end was impressive (if silly on the Mercia side). But that look in her eyes at the end....Auslaug will just *love* her.

--I am very interested to see where Athlestan's story is going this season. One of my favorite parts of S2 was watching him struggle with being a Christian but having Norse religious sympathies. Can he really exist in both worlds?

"You are so horribly good, Helga!!!" Oh sweet seven, I love Floki

Overall really great premiere for S3. I thought everyone had a nice chance to shine and do something. A lot of random thoughts here:

--I think we're looking at a lot of Ragnar/Auslaug drama this season. There is so much tension there because I don't know if Ragnar ever really loved her like the way he loved Lagertha and now with Ivar and his condition....but I do feel bad for her. It's like he loved Auslaug for the children she could give him, not her her very self.

--This show is just so gorgeous. The scenic moments, the costumes, the hair....it's so nice to just look at. Also, I love when they switch into their native language.

--Ugh to Kalf and the drama back at Lagertha's homestead. She'll take care of them hopefully but is anyone else worried that Lagertha might die??? That opening scene was seriously ominous. Ecbert needs to keep his eyes off though (poor Athlestan, I felt so bad for him during that wagon ride)

--Kwenthrith....she wants Ragnar. Oh yes. And that battle at the end was impressive (if silly on the Mercia side). But that look in her eyes at the end....Auslaug will just *love* her.

--I am very interested to see where Athlestan's story is going this season. One of my favorite parts of S2 was watching him struggle with being a Christian but having Norse religious sympathies. Can he really exist in both worlds?

I loved the wagon ride mainly for the use of both native tongues, rather than have one be modern English. And I think it was the longest conversation we've heard so far in either language. Good job on the actors learning all of that.

Good start. But that tactic by the Mercians, apt for the saying "Commanded his way into his grave" Split your forces by a river you can't cross. It's like they were playing a RTS game against a bad AI.

That was incredibly stupid. Good premier otherwise though. Just glad it's back, and right into the thick of things.

Floki the Kingslayer!

Excellent premiere !

Some passing thoughts :

I love how Ragnar is always witnessing everything, he's so curious and you can never read his expression. He's a great character.

Athelstan's story is, as always, promising to be fascinating. Looking forward to that one !

I thought it was obvious Lagertha and Kalf were plotting over Einar and his family (ala Ragnar on Horik in 210), but it seems a lot of people think he's truly betraying her.

I hope Bjorn will come to trust Thorunn a little bit more (at least, stop being constantly on her back !)

Lagertha / Echbert dynamics ! Didnt expect that and they were great !

Oh, and one of the moment I expected most was the Athelstan / Echbert reunion and it didnt disapoint !

RiP ser Meryn.

We didnt get a lot of Rollo this episode but it will surely come !

Why did the gangbang chick react badly when Floki killed Merryn though?

Well, it still was her uncle, so there's that. And there's also the fact that he tried to usurp her throne. All of that makes for confusing feelings I guess.

Ugh to Kalf and the drama back at Lagertha's homestead. She'll take care of them hopefully but is anyone else worried that Lagertha might die??? That opening scene was seriously ominous. Ecbert needs to keep his eyes off though (poor Athlestan, I felt so bad for him during that wagon ride?

wait why did you feel bad for Athesltan during the wagon ride? I'm all for Ecbert and Lagertha hooking up :D

Why did the gangbang chick react badly when Floki killed Merryn though?

Or was she aroused?

I have a hard time telling these things.

I took it as arousal.

They kept switching POVs in that moment from her to Ragnar. Something is going to happen with them.

Joking aside,

It was a great start, (with the exception of the commercials), so some of my take-aways:

- It seems that Lagertha is prepared to move on. She seems to really like Kalf, and now seemed to be at least flattered by Ecberts interest, and yeah, I love that pairing, but will Ragnar? And I agree that I don't think he ever stopped loving Lagertha, and perhaps didn't love Auslag the same way.

In terms of Kwenerith, I like that she seems somewhat more subdued, and a little less "over-the-top," though I am confused about her feelings about her brother. Didn't she claim that he raped her? (I'm starting to wonder if there isn't a little of Jaime/Cersei going on in her reacton and her story when Ragnar was grilling her about her family).

- Ragnar and Kwenerith:

That confuses me too. According to the sagas, Ragnar was married three times, but I don't know that that is what is happening here. I think it might get physical, but I don't wonder if he wouldn't be using her, and staying one step ahead of her, not ever trusting her. And of course there seems to be the possible hook-up of Ecbertha.

That could earn Lagertha not only the jealousy from Kalf, but of Ragnar also, pitting them against each other.

- Athelestan and the Princess:

I missed the impact he must have had on her last season. I thought it was more spiritual, but that brings up the conflict and hatred from her husband. (I suppose that was a political alliance turned love match at least on his part), so that should be interesting.

I do think Athelestan can walk between two worlds. I think he is first a scholar and then a priest, and can probably reconcile the mystical unknowns of the universe better than some of his religious contemporaries, so I think he will be alright in that regard.

-The Battle:

It was Saxon stupidity, :bang: :bang: and British fans of the show continue to wonder why the hate on the part of Hirsh. :thumbsdown: (I'm not British, but I could hear the shouts of "Awwwweee, c'mon, reeeeeally?!," from across the pond).

I'm going to go on the record and say that I'd bet the Saxons were just a LEETLE more formidable than that.

Did no one see "King Arthur?" Floki's dad played the big, bad Saxon in that. I guess the Saxons got comfortable. ;) (Just kidding on the historical accuracy of that movie BTW).

And speaking of Floki, I know people love him, but he just annoys me. I have never seen any character besides Louis from "Queen of the Damned" more invested in their own misery than Floki.

But anyway, good beginning.

^Like

How could the English be so....dumb? Separating their forces with no way to support or reach each other...bruh.

They thought the vikings would split apart their forces, but the reall should have picked a better position incase they decided to, as they did, to attack one side only.

Thought this was quiet epic.

Athelestan and the princess of his homeland, interesting. Careful Athelestan, you are no longer a priest and Aethelwulf is hungry to debone some Vikings.

Kalf is dumber then an ass, just try to take her land, her baby daddy is your king and she has a habit of stabbing dumb men.

Wonder which of Aethelwulf's sons is the babe.

I don't know whether spoilers from history are allowed but

Princess Kwenthrith's chance to prevail is slim to none. Her brother Burgred will likely to end up as the King of Mercia. But King Ecbert also will be the King of Mercia for a while.

I also wonder what will they do with Ivar the Boneless. He was a battle commander who invaded Northumbria and Mercia. The show avoided showing what is really wrong with him except they think that he wll never walk. IT is said that Ivar was notoriously cruel and cunning.

Yeah I don't think there's anyway Athelstan and The Princess hooking up is gonna turn out good even though Ecbert probably prefers Athelstan to his own son :lol:

I don't get their relationship, Aethelwulf is incredibly loyal and leads his forces, yet Ecbert simply keeps in the dark of his in workings. I wonder how excatly Aethelwulf was raised, it is clearly not under Ecbert's care.

Is it funny how this is only one scene in the first episode, but they have a better dynamic then Polo and the blue princess in a whole season?

I don't get their relationship, Aethelwulf is incredibly loyal and leads his forces, yet Ecbert simply keeps in the dark of his in workings. I wonder how excatly Aethelwulf was raised, it is clearly not under Ecbert's care.

Is it funny how this is only one scene in the first episode, but they have a better dynamic then Polo and the blue princess in a whole season?

Aethelwulf is religious and orthodox. Ecbert has a highly unorthodox mind and he sees Aethelstan as a person who can understand him. That is clear from how they both admired the Roman artifacts.

I don't know whether spoilers from history are allowed but

Princess Kwenthrith's chance to prevail is slim to none. Her brother Burgred will likely to end up as the King of Mercia. But King Ecbert also will be the King of Mercia for a while.

I also wonder what will they do with Ivar the Boneless. He was a battle commander who invaded Northumbria and Mercia. The show avoided showing what is really wrong with him except they think that he wll never walk. IT is said that Ivar was notoriously cruel and cunning.

Re: your last spoiler...I have been wondering that as well.

Finally got to watch it. Very happy with the first episode.

As far as Kwenthrith is concerned, I think it is very easy to believe that a highly sexualized female character has unlikeable qualities. That is too simple.

This is her family, for good or for bad. I can't imagine that she was sexually aroused at the sight of her uncle's death. She wasn't smiling or dreamy eyed. Her face was full of pain and contradictions. Happiness her ambitions were being realized and anguish at the death of her family and people.

This is a character that puts all of her emotions out there for anyone to see. She hides nothing. That doesn't make her a monster.

In other words, she isn't one dimensional. Not everything is about sex.

Archived