Season 5 Casting, News and Speculation V 10 [Spoilers]

Arkash

Who is to say that Sansa and Littlefinger are not heading to Winterfell during her second chapter in the The Winds of Winter? I would not make assumptions about material we know nothing about.

My own guess is that they are simply advancing her material because they have already destroyed the possibility of adapting Sansa's early chapters from the next book based on other decisions they have already made.

Seeing as we haven't read that chapter you can't rule anything out, but that makes no real sense based on everything GRRM has set up in the books so far in that plot, so it's unlikely.

As far as earlier decisions, the writers don't plan a given season with no thought to what comes next. Whatever was included or not included or changed in season 4, especially, when they knew the endgame for the first time, would not have been done with no thought to what came next.

If Sansa in WF is such a big deal, why not hold her out like Bran? Looks like Dorne is getting Bran's screen time, so other arcs could have gotten Sansa's time.

Obviously the writers don't think it's a "big deal". It exists because they want it to exist.

Even if they were, for some reason, it would be theoretically impossible for them to arrive there before the resolution of the Stannis/Boltons storyline. Unless they actually do own a transporter.

So they might fudge. Perhaps in the books Stannis is turned away after both sides are decimated in the battle, since the Northern lords are counting on the retrieval of Rickon, only for Sansa to arrive with Vale forces in tow. Whereas in the show, Sansa is not only already there, she helps engineer the 'betrayal' of the Boltons by revealing herself to the Northern lords, then they turn away Stannis after the latter helps them destroy the Boltons.

It comes to roughly the same place in the end.

You'd think they would anticipate that there may be some people there who would recognize Sansa and that the whole thing is pretty risky in that regard...

Then again, we know that show!LF acts like an idiot but we're still supposed to think he's a genius, so...

well people didnt realize that jeyne poole wasnt actually arya so they could do the same for sansa

Maybe. Huisman is also in Orphan Black, which premieres next month as well. Not sure how he's available to film both shows.

Orphan Black didn't start filming until mid October or so. I think he may have been done with or was finishing up GOT by then.

So they might fudge. Perhaps in the books Stannis is turned away after both sides are decimated in the battle, since the Northern lords are counting on the retrieval of Rickon, only for Sansa to arrive with Vale forces in tow. Whereas in the show, Sansa is not only already there, she helps engineer the 'betrayal' of the Boltons by revealing herself to the Northern lords, then they turn away Stannis after the latter helps them destroy the Boltons.

Would also eliminate the need for Davos to go get Rickon anyway.

Winterfell is surrounded by a gigantic blizzard at the moment. It seems rather unlikely.

I know we all want TWOW spoilers, but with many of these things, particularly something as dramatically different as this, it's stretching things considerably to view them as that.

As far as earlier decisions, the writers don't plan a given season with no thought to what comes next. Whatever was included or not included or changed in season 4, especially, when they knew the endgame for the first time, would not have been done with no thought to what came next.

Right but that has little effect on what I am writing. It looks to me like Benioff and Weiss did not particularly like the narrative in the Riverlands and the Vale post-A Storm of Swords and decided to jettison as much of it as they could and make early transitions if that was possible.

How does Dany know all this jazz about things going on in Westeros?

Westeros seemed to have more intel on her than she did on them.

Meanwhile in the books "Dragons aren't real, they must be Lizards".

No Qyburn or UnGregor hints in both trailers

I shudder to think of the Qyburn scenes we might get this season.

I am fairly certain Stannis says his only line in the trailer to the Davos in the tent.

Could be the Baratheon general that was listed on IMDB.

well people didnt realize that jeyne poole wasnt actually arya so they could do the same for sansa

The risk was considerably lower for the Boltons, since all they had to lose was some of the lords not buying their bullshit justification for making Ramsay the lord of Winterfell. They already had Winterfell, support of the crown, and the security of the fact that many of the northerns had family members who were hostages at the RW.

Would also eliminate the need for Davos to go get Rickon anyway.

That too. For all we know, they do not like the Rickon narrative or know it ends up developing into something else, and that it will actually be Sansa consolidating the North. So they are essentially skipping steps.

Not that I actually agree with their artistic decisions but I can at least speculate as to why or how they are being made.

Right but that has little effect on what I am writing. It looks to me like Benioff and Weiss did not particularly like the narrative in the Riverlands and the Vale post-A Storm of Swords and decided to jettison as much of it as they could and make early transitions if that was possible.

LOL. If that's the case, I fully support D&D's "Fuck the Vale" plotting initiative.

How could LF marry Sansa to anyone? She's married to Tyrion.

Good question.

Reaction in this thread seems to be on average "cautiously positive" or "surprised". Only a few have been vocally negative.

Reaction has been "WTF is going on?" and people trying to find a way how this could possibly make sense in the narrative and why it's done. I don't see the "positive" reactions you talk of, except for one or two "I hate the post-ASOS stuff so let's just change as much as possible" people.

It's the same reason why Jaime in Dorne was the most talked about storyline earlier - because it's a massive change, but Sansa going to WF is far weirder so it's eclipsed it now. It has nothing to do with popularity.

I am not a fan of the move but recognize it might be fait accompli at this point. No way they can simply eliminate Catelyn Stark and send Jaime Lannister to Dorne without doing serious damage to the overall structure of the story.

Archived