How Much is 20,000 Gold Dragons?

Wildling No. 271

First new thread on the forums here, just finished the first book. Isn't 20,000 dragons for winning the Hand's tourney a ton of money? If one dragon is enough to send smallfolks bending over backwards to get Tyrion a room at the Crossroads, and 64 silvers to 64 slaves is unheard of, isn't 20,000 dragons a complete fortune? If I were Sandor, I'd consider that full comeuppance for his terrible family issues.

• 2 weeks later...

The only good answer to this question is to simply not try to convert Os (or Planetos, if you prefer) currencies and values to our own. That way lies madness! (but I just did it anyway...)

I just looked at the Wiki and it says prices skyrocketed during the War of the Five Kings such that a bushel of corn cost 1 silver stag. Well, then I looked up the current price of a bushel of corn in US dollars and it is $4.38. So, if $4.38 = 1 silver stag and a golden dragon = 210 silver stags then a golden dragon is equivalent to $919.80 US dollars (strangely, I just calculated from one site that an average side of beef cost exactly $919.75, as well, and the Wiki said a side of beef cost one golden dragon so that's interesting support or maybe just coincidence). But, anyway, that means 20,000 golden dragons = $18,396,000 current US dollars! :eek:

So, um, yeah, I could see maybe a second prize equivalent to about $18,000 US but not $18 million! :dunno:

And it boggles the mind to think that, before the inflation caused by the War of the Five Kings, Sandor's prize was worth even more!

The only good answer to this question is to simply not try to convert Os (or Planetos, if you prefer) currencies and values to our own. That way lies madness! (but I just did it anyway...)

I just looked at the Wiki and it says prices skyrocketed during the War of the Five Kings such that a bushel of corn cost 1 silver stag. Well, then I looked up the current price of a bushel of corn in US dollars and it is $4.38. So, if $4.38 = 1 silver stag and a golden dragon = 210 silver stags then a golden dragon is equivalent to $919.80 US dollars (strangely, I just calculated from one site that an average side of beef cost exactly $919.75, as well, and the Wiki said a side of beef cost one golden dragon so that's interesting support or maybe just coincidence). But, anyway, that means 20,000 golden dragons = $18,396,000 current US dollars! :eek:

So, um, yeah, I could see maybe a second prize equivalent to about $18,000 US but not $18 million! :dunno:

And it boggles the mind to think that, before the inflation caused by the War of the Five Kings, Sandor's prize was worth even more!

Well, there are TV shows who grant million of dollars to the winners.. the tournament is the Westerosy equivalent of those shows.

What's really 'crazier' is that since their money is actually 'gold' and not pieces of paper, it is actually much more valuable than that.

The gold itself, in weight, is huge

Archived