Are there dragons in asshai? If not what does bran see?

Varysfan

So when bran flies he sees dragons stirring in asshai, yet quaithe tell Daenerys that a fire Mage (I think) can make fire come from dragon glass since her dragons were born but could not do so before thus suggesting there were no other dragons previously.

So if they are the only dragons living, what does bran see in his dream?

Brans visions get symbolic. Bran thinks assai but how good is his geography? I think his vision does pertain to dany's dragons.

I would say all the location things in the dream are very accurate, he knows where his father and sisters are and Jon, Danny is not in or even close to Asshai, for such a well educated boy to even mention asshai you'd think he must have a good idea where it is

I really don't know.

I don't have a reference for this but I thought I had read that GRRM was not going to take us to Asshai. Maybe somebody can back that up.

If that really is the case it could have just been a dream.

Would like to know if this is true, there is an awful lot of reference to asshai for us to never see it

Ned, Sansa, Arya, Jon and beyond the wall were all present.

Jaime, The Hound and the Mountain are future.

Asshai is up for debate. But it does not make sence for it to be Dany. She was in Pentos or traveling with her eggs by then. Far fron Asshai. And Bran was specific about it being Asshai. If he was uncertain it would have been shown. Or he would have just said "in the east".

I think its simply that as Ilyrio tells Dany, her eggs, which she literally feels stir, are from Ashai.

Makes no sence for all of Brans visions to be from the present and the near future. And then one from months in the past. The vision should have been of Pentos or Vaes Dothrak if it was about Dany. There is no reason to mention them being from Asshai.

Makes no sence for all of Brans visions to be from the present and the near future. And then one from months in the past. The vision should have been of Pentos or Vaes Dothrak if it was about Dany. There is no reason to mention them being from Asshai.

why not, it is a vision dream coaxed out by bloodraven. visions and prophecy are always off a bit in the books. That is what makes them interesting. It would be boring as shit if the whole story is laid out before the reader in a dream vision

Bran is seeing the Red Comet beneath the sunrise combined with the dragon eggs (from Asshai). Stirring, because the dragons are in their cocoon-like, embryonic state. Bran sees the present, with prophetic, futuristic elements superimposed upon it (see signature link for much more discussion of this dream).

This always intrigued me too.

"Stirred". Maybe they were hibernating or something and now they're awakening?

Sheepstealer, perhaps? But, the first thing that comes to mind is how that would impact in the story.

Also, this quote:

“The tales are not the same,” insisted Armen. “Dragons in Asshai, dragons in Qarth, dragons in Meereen, Dothraki dragons, dragons freeing slaves . . . each telling differs from the last.” “Only in details.” Mollander grew more stubborn when he drank, and even when sober he was bullheaded. “All speak of dragons, and a beautiful young queen".

We know the others are Daenerys, but Asshai? George is certainly playing with us here.

I think the bloodmagicians of Asshai were responsible of the Long Night and perhaps they are again responsible of empowering the global magic level and so giving rise to the second Long Night. Dragons stirring there symbolically means that the Asshai'i are meddling with magic that was not possible since the dragons died out.

I knew there was an SSM about it:

3)I am under the strong impressoin you openly indicated Dany would be traveliing east to Asshai and the Shadow lands, possibly to invade Westeros from the other side even... Everyone tells me im wrong, it doesnt fit into the time frame etc etc. Did you or did you not want us to get that impressioin by a)introudcing Quaithe b)the whole to go west you must go east under the shadow etc etc prophecy... c)Bran saw dragons in Asshai. Perhaps Danys dragons in the future? I doubt real dragons are in Asshai now or the whole magic leaving the world thing wouldnt have happened....

Sorry, these answers will need to wait for future books

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Ibben_and_Armor

Archived