Stannis' Natural Defenses

Doctor Weirwood

I feel like the holes in the ice are going to be set up as a way to defeat the enemy, but something will happen to render it useless. Like, say, the Freys get lost and come at Stannis from a completely different direction. Or they're ambushed and slaughtered by the Manderlys before even reaching Stannis. Something unexpected, basically.

I feel like the holes in the ice are going to be set up as a way to defeat the enemy, but something will happen to render it useless. Like, say, the Freys get lost and come at Stannis from a completely different direction. Or they're ambushed and slaughtered by the Manderlys before even reaching Stannis. Something unexpected, basically.

LOL I can just imagine the outrage from Stannis fans if this happens.

If Stannis places lights in the branches of the Weirwood tree on the island, at night the Freys would mistake it for the tower, and charge right over the lake, which has tons of holes in it.

I am assuming this as well. There was mention of there being numerous holes in the lake from starving people trying to fish

I am assuming this as well. There was mention of there being numerous holes in the lake from starving people trying to fish

Yes and the map they have shows it. Along with the Asha saying the light is the only thing that can be seen through the blizzard.

It's almost certain this is his plan and I don't see why it wont work. Stannis will definitely win this skirmish but I don't think he'll take Winterfell.

It is believed he will dig holes in the ice so it will break when the Botlon's troops charge over it.

There are already holes in the ice from ice fishing. Stannis could dig moats between the two lakes turning the village into an island.

If the army facing stannis isrroose's, i feel like its too simples. Roose seems too bright too fall for the hole trap

Roose sent out two groups, Freys and Manderleys.

The Manderleys will hold back. But I believe the Frey commander is not the sharpest sword and might well fall for such a tactic. Rushing in to attack. Also the Freys are Southrons and not used to snow, ice or frozen lakes.

Then the Manderleys can take them in the rear and finish them off.

Why is there so much sarcasm in this thread?

The topic, like most topics I believe (the waiting for Winds is killing us), has been done to death, and Minsc has already provided the most accepted theory in the first reply. The battle, starting from what we know of Stannis' history as a commander, continuing through plenty of forshadowing and ending with GRRM's very name for the battle "Battle of the Ice", has pretty strong indicators that the two frozen lakes are going to play a major role.

Good question. Why is there so much sarcasm in other theads? The first assumption is troll. The second assumption is it is a dumb question. The third assumption is it is boring and not enought information to argue about.

"The ground?" said Theon. "What ground? Here? This misbegotten tower? This wretched little village? You have no high ground here, no walls to hide beyond, no natural defenses."

"Yet." (was Stannis' reply, inplying that Stannis has a plan)

Archived