Stannis' Natural Defenses

Doctor Weirwood

I assume it is more about breaking the ice than anything else. If you put some lights in the weirwood on the island the Freys could easily think it is the tower in the village and charge if they arrive at night. It its not at night maybe Stannis uses the lakes to funnel the Freys into the small passageway in between the lakes.

It's a clever notion, but digging frozen ground with pick and shovel is pretty futile. I would think the ground would be frozen pretty deep by now. And starving men don't have as much energy.

If Crowfood was able to do it with a smaller group composed of greenboys close to the moat than Stannis should have an easier time.

The topic, like most topics I believe (the waiting for Winds is killing us), has been done to death, and Minsc has already provided the most accepted theory in the first reply. The battle, starting from what we know of Stannis' history as a commander, continuing through plenty of forshadowing and ending with GRRM's very name for the battle "Battle of the Ice", has pretty strong indicators that the two frozen lakes are going to play a major role.

I think that a few other things may be in the picture, although yes what you stated will be the main device. Also I could see him digging some strategic trenches and covering them up with snow, and maybe some packed snow ramparts? All of this will be to direct the Freys to the Ice, where the cavalry will charge and fall through. The infantry will be left stranded, upon which Mors and Wyman will deliver the coup de grace.

In history there is literally a "Battle on the Ice" between the Teutonic Knights and a Russian militia force. The Russians, mostly infantry, allow the Knights to pursue and the battle occurs on the lake. The Russians then bring mounted tribes men from the sides, after some time, forcing the TK to retreat on a slippery surface. Apparently the story was embellished to include that as they tried to retreat they were weighed down by the horses and armor causing the ice to collapse. It seems likely that GRRM, a notable fan of history, might follow a similar scheme. Especially since we know the mountain clans have sure footed garrons that can maneuver in the snow. Stannis' forces are mostly infantry, since the knights horses have all died, and aren't particularly mobile.

• 4 weeks later...

^ Talking about history, I saw something mentioned on Reddit a while ago that I haven't seen here.

Basically, the events surrounding the Battle of Ice and Winterfell seem similar to the events surrounding Battle of Pharsalus in the war between Caesar and Pompey.

Pompey had the backing of most of the senate, with more soldiers, more provisions, and in a better geographic position. As a result he was content to let Caesar’s army fail due to hunger and exhaustion, but due to pressure from his senators was forced to give battle. Caesar had the support his veterans as well as soldiers levied for the war, was running out of provisions, and was isolated in hostile territory with no safe retreat. As a result he gambled as if he had nothing to lose. When they battled Pompey was soundly defeated, forced to flee, and Caesar used the victory to cement his position and take many of Pompey’s former allies.

Roose has the backing of most of the northern lords, with more soldiers, more provisions, and in a fortified castle. As a result he has been content to let Stannis come to him or else collapse in the blizzard, but due to infighting among his lords he has been forced to give battle (not entirely, though). Stannis has the support of his southern veterans as well as the northern clansmen and assorted other groups united for the war against Roose, is running out of provisions, and is isolated in effectively hostile territory with no safe retreat. As a result he is (so it seems) gambling on his upcoming battle as if he has nothing to lose.

I'd guess it'll follow a similar path, with Stannis delivering at least one sound defeat to Roose, Roose fleeing or dying, and Stannis cementing his position as king and taking the allegiance of many/all of Roose's lords.

^Why is it always so that the stuff everybody should read (i.e. the two last posts here) show up in the middle of threads, whereas the threads that do get made is mostly stuff that nobody would ever want to read?

Archived