HBO Standalone Streaming Service

normalice

In case this interests anyone else as much as it does me, I'll post this here. Apparantly HBO is going to have a standalone streaming service (like netflix) such that you don't have to buy basic cable to watch HBO shows. I've been wanting this for some time, myself.

Anyway, according to the below article, they are currently planning on launching it with the next season of Game of Thrones. So that's cool.

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/Here-HBO-Plans-Launch-Its-Standalone-Streaming-Service-68860.html

The premiere is in 49 days. Shouldn't they get the ball rolling here and officially announce the standalone launch and pricing?

You worry too much.

In any case, I used to work at a software company. That's not really how it works...they probably don't even have the finished product yet, so I doubt they have anything to advertise at this point.

So will we have to wait until the whole season of GoT airs in order to watch it one there or will the episodes be added soon after they air?

Right now, HBO Go adds the episode immediately after it airs.

GoT airs the same time on GO as it does on HBO. So right at 9pm. Well usually a couple minutes after 9. Not sure if that's what you meant, or if you meant right at 10pm after it ends.

It changed, then. But the new streaming service would have all of that stuff the same time anyway.

Only available in the US though, right?

Guess HBO just don't want my money then. I try to give it to them but they're like "no, sorry, you have to live in the US to give us your money"

Overseas Licensing issues with O/S networks

This is the problem with the current business model, O/S people want to watch at the same time as U.S viewers because in the era of social media and forums everything gets discussed immediately but because they license the rights out for $ there is a delay

Subsequently there is a massive problem with piracy...

By and large this is a good idea, they simply have to internationalise their outlook and start selling directly to O/S people by direct download/subscription

this can work out well, as niche subgenre shows normally requiring high uptake from a small niche audience within just the U.S would be able to tap into the global niche audience which is much more sizeable

This is the problem with the current business model, O/S people want to watch at the same time as U.S viewers because in the era of social media and forums everything gets discussed immediately but because they license the rights out for $ there is a delay

By and large this is a good idea, they simply have to internationalise their outlook and start selling directly to O/S people by direct download/subscription

Yup. It's all absolutely infuriating. Here in Taiwan the show is usually aired with a one-week delay, which is already quite annoying, but by the time they also cut out the stuff that's too risqué or bloody, it's infuriating. Boy were people confused by Renly's death - the birth of the shadow had been cut!

At least the Season 4 DVDs here seem to have all the same bonus features as the ones in North America. There was one season that was missing lots of bonus features, even though they were listed on the box.

I hope the HBO streaming service is available outside the USA, although it probably won't be - they're probably not allowed to compete with the other subsidiaries of HBO, or however it works.

this can work out well, as niche subgenre shows normally requiring high uptake from a small niche audience within just the U.S would be able to tap into the global niche audience which is much more sizeable

All good points.

Perhaps HBO could just turn a blind eye to people making use of VPN services, like Netflix do ;)

Perhaps HBO could just turn a blind eye to people making use of VPN services, like Netflix do ;)

Not as blind an eye as there used to be. My VPN used to work for Netflix, but doesn't anymore ... I could probably spend time and money figuring out a better approach with a different VPN. Or, I could spend no time and money at all and use easier options. Frustrating. I've been trying to be more legitimate over the past year or two, and they make it very, very difficult. Hell, even by using a VPN I'm violating terms of service anyway, and I had to do some kind of sketchy grey-black market thing to get a DVD player that'd play North American and European DVDs.

Yeah, with everything going digital these days, companies aren't as blind to VPNs as they used to be. I used to have a VPN account, but I dropped it since more of the stuff I liked was getting blocked or required logins anyway.

Right now, HBO Go adds the episode immediately after it airs.

last year the HBO servers could not handle the traffic from people attempting to watch the show. I had to wait until monday to watch it because it just kept crashing and crashing lol

I hope they beefed up there servers this year.

last year the HBO servers could not handle the traffic from people attempting to watch the show. I had to wait until monday to watch it because it just kept crashing and crashing lol

I hope they beefed up there servers this year

I had that problem a while back, but I don't remember having it last season. But from what I heard, HBO was unhappy with the company they had making HBO Go, so they found a new one to make the stand alone service.

You worry too much.

In any case, I used to work at a software company. That's not really how it works...they probably don't even have the finished product yet, so I doubt they have anything to advertise at this point.

Something tells me they'll just add a subscription option to HBOGO. I can't see them building an entirely separate service.

Archived