Craigslist Stories

Dr. Pepper

I've been getting rid of a ton of stuff and using craigslist to do it. It's so annoying sometimes because people will email with "is it still available". Why? There is an ad for something, why wouldn't it be available? I took to putting in CAPS at the start of every ad that the item is still available. Hasn't worked. People continue to respond asking if the item is available. Ugh, wtf

Selling shit on craigslist is like it's own weird universe. I pretty much always write in the ad "If you can read this it means the item is still available. Don't ask me if it's still available."

Then there are the people that just call you and offer you half of what you were selling it for without even looking at it. Or the ones that say they'll show up but never do. We should have a craigslist stories thread, I bet it would be awesome.

A few times I've had someone offer like 90% of the asking price over the phone, but commit to buying it. Usually they want me to meet them at a mall or home depot parking lot, and then when you show up, they give you the "oh, I know we agreed on $90 but I only have $80". I hate these people.

Buying or selling a vehicle on there simply takes all the inherent craigslist issues and magnifies them tenfold. Then there's the Nigerian scam or variants thereof... for awhile I would play along for a few emails and at least let them mail me a fake check for $8000 or whatever, I had a nice collection of these on the fridge for years.

Oh man, these people who immediately offer half sight unseen are ridiculous. They are the reason why I no longer post a phone number. Email only. I just ignore them.

The weirdest so far was this one person who kept emailing me about my treadmill. First she wanted to come over to try it out for half an hour and asked if I had cable connected in the room where it was located and if I had wifi. When I told her that her way of trying it before buying was not something I would allow, she then wanted me to bring it over to her house so she could try. Then she'd make all of these weird pleas to get me to lower the price. Her mom was sick. She was sick. If she didn't lose weight immediately she would die. I was discriminating against her because she was poor. I actually kept responding just becuase I wanted to see wht she'd say next.

To be honest I have had nothing but great experiences using craigslist. I feel like the sketch ads are easy to pick out. I've found several apartments via CL, I've bought 2 motorcycles. various pieces of furniture, and a bicycle all on craigslist and never had a bad experience. A while back I bought a record player, a receiver, and some speakers on CL and the girl I bought it from asked me out!

Selling things is a bit more of a pain in the ass than buying things. I sold a bicycle once on CL and I got so many responses that I started to think abut just buying and selling bikes on there for extra cash. I'm about to sell one of the motorcycles I own, probably will do so on craigslist. I have some concerns, but its mostly about n00bs wasting my time. All in all its a great resource. Just use your head.

To be honest I have had nothing but great experiences using craigslist. I feel like the sketch ads are easy to pick out. I've found several apartments via CL, I've bought 2 motorcycles. various pieces of furniture, and a bicycle all on craigslist and never had a bad experience. A while back I bought a record player, a receiver, and some speakers on CL and the girl I bought it from asked me out!

And when making these CL purchases and pre-date arrangements. Did you first ask if it/she was still available?

Selling things is a bit more of a pain in the ass than buying things. I sold a bicycle once on CL and I got so many responses that I started to think abut just buying and selling bikes on there for extra cash. I'm about to sell one of the motorcycles I own, probably will do so on craigslist. I have some concerns, but its mostly about n00bs wasting my time. All in all its a great resource. Just use your head.

Agreed - you can usually spot what's coming, but that doesn't make it any less weird. One of the weirdest I've seen was from this summer. I was splitting a bunch of jobs with this other mason, 50/50 partners, and we had an ad in the "services-skill'd trade" section offering masonry work. He brought in a printed out copy of one response, which looked pretty normal. It was some guy describing a blue-stone patio he wanted built, and it had all the dimensions, descriptions of a couple of benches and stairs, etc, and then this was how it ended: (spoilered for purient content)

I'd like someone to come by and give me a labor estimate. I will provide all the materials. My wife squeals when she takes it in the ass. I'd like this finished by Labor Day

I do have a story about one of my friends. He is bisexual and had never been with a guy and wanted a random hookup to experiment. So he went to the men seeking men section to talk to dudes(which seems kind of shady btw) and after narrowing down his list, he met a guy and had his hookup. That in itself isn't funny, but our friend's name is Craig. So Craigslist was actually Craig's list. We've been teasing him about Craig's list for years now.

I have sold a motorcycle, a dune buggy, a camper, and baby furniture on CL. The tire kickers for the vehicles are the worst. Come over to the house and want to go for a ride. Tell them cash in hand to go for a ride. Then sit outside for 45 minutes and look at it. I am not a dealer or salesman. I don't want to talk about the motorcycle for 45 minutes. Buy it or don't.

My favorite sale was the dune buggy. Dude came up handed me cash and said "is it mine?" I said yes sir, and he grinned and jumped in it. Showed him how to start, operate gear shift, lights, etc. He was grinning the whole time. He floored it and roared out of the driveway. He said he was buying it for his kids, but I suspect otherwise.

The worst story I know of was a guy I know who sold his motorcycle on CL. The buyer came over at night and had cash in hand to go for a ride. Came back from test ride and said he would take it. Title was transferred and away he rode. Turns out the $100 bills he paid with were counterfeit. He didnt even know until he went to the bank. Never found the guy.

I met one of my best friends on CL. Was posting for months looking for a drummer, never found one, then responded to a ridiculous rant that happens every week or so with a short blurb about looking for a drummer. He contacted me from about 45 min away and on the way there was thinking this is the last time I'll be doing this.

Well... 5 years later and I'm to be his best man in his wedding and my fiance is the maid of honor.

Nothing great personally. I have two good friends, both females. One is a bar manager (small bar, she's also head server) and the other is the manager of a pizza shop right next to the biggest bar in town. They're both very attractive and both have been the subject of hilarious "missed connections" where guys who are or were wasted thought they were really being hit on by these women who count on these drunken schmoes tipping them to get by.

For the first time, I might actually feel a bit leery about meeting someone to do an exchange. First, I could barely understand the dude because he was speaking too close to the phone. Thankfully the meet up is close to my place so I'm not going out of my way. But right before hanging up he said something about hoping he doesn't get kidnapped by a girl, then started laughing and said that as a girl I probably have more to worry about. I kind of chuckled it off but now I'm wondering if I should go. Sure, it's in a public space but that hardly matters when it's easy to figure out where I live. I have a sinus headache so not really in the mood to deal with things like assault or whatever.

This isn't even a joke: there was once an ad for a used tombstone.

I think I might actually enjoy something like that. There are several tombstones available on my local site, but sadly, not used. I'm going to keep my eye out for this now.

We've found a number of genuine gems on Craigslist over the years. I've had one bad experience though.

5 or 6 years ago, we were running low on plates and cups due to simple attrition and wear. My wife found a listing for someone giving away a large plate and cup set (I think it was 8 place settings of big plates, salad plates, bowls and cups) Not the most attractive set but certainly workable in a pinch. The listing party lived in a small town about 20 minutes from us. They agreed to set the box with the stuff the door-step of their apartment so we could go pick it up latter. My wife talked me into fetching the items. I'm always a little bit nervous about meeting up with strangers for this kind of thing. They were suppose to put the stuff on the step so I wouldn't have to deal with them so I acquiesced. As I didn't have anything to do at the moment I actually left right away, which it turns out was a mistake.

Also keep in mind it was high summer and rather uncomfortably warm out that day. This will be important momentarily.

So, I follow the directions. Find what I think is the right place but no boxes visible. I drive around a few minutes to verify that I had indeed found where I was going. At this point a young lady and a guy come out carrying several boxes with a small child in tow. Figured it was them and I stop to take the boxes from them. When I get out of the car, I notice the dude has his shirt off. That doesn't bother me any. It was fucking warm out. What does bother me is the swastika tattooed on his right chest. At this point I notice his shaved head and realize I'm face to face with a living, breathing skin head. Given that I look like a hippy and am not sure what other kinds of hate this lovely individual espoused besides the obvious, I really did not feel like being on the receiving end of a hate crime. I take the boxes, say thank you, and leave as fast as I can. We still have the plates around as back-ups, though I feel dirty using them.

How do you know he was a skinhead? Maybe the swastika was an ironic tattoo.

Can you imagine a circumstance where that would even be plausable? Yeah dude I want a tatto like a cross but could you do it sideways? Its not like it looks like a bird you were fond of you have to go to a shop and request one or more likely have a friend do the job for you.

How do you know he was a skinhead? Maybe the swastika was an ironic tattoo.

My wife and I have discussed alternate explanations. He could have been reformed and hadn't had the chance to remove the tattoo yet. He could be using the swastika in one of its other meanings that existed before it was co-opted by the Nazis. He could have been a hipster making a really bad attempt at irony. Sure.

The dude scared me. It wasn't just the tattoo. It was the whole package that came with it. He either was a skin head or he was perfectly fine with people thinking he was. Either option made this an individual to steer well clear from.

Archived