Could George make Dany and Dorne enemies without Quentyn?

Mithras

Dany's forces will include a fleet sailing around Valyria, a land army following the demon road and the khalassar. The dragonriders wil be zipping back and forth to organize their movements. So, although Dany and Tyrion will shake hands, they will be at the different sides of the great march towards west. This way, George will have his POVs at different places to ease his hand.

I love how easily this board underestimates Dorne and Doran. I really do. Because that's exactly what he wants.

Exactly. Underestimate him for a few too many decades and before you know it, he's contacted the town council about your zoning permits!

(Edit: through an intermediary, obviously. No reason to be a kamikaze.)

Exactly. Underestimate him for a few too many decades and before you know it, he's contacted the town council about your zoning permits!

The zoning permit thing is a red herring. The whole point is to make you think he's upset about zoning when in reality he's planning to have your property declared a wetlands so you can't do anything with it. Doran always has a wider and deeper plan, and by the time you realize what he's done, it's far too late to stop it even if you could have (which you couldn't, he doesn't leave any loose ends).

The zoning permit thing is a red herring. The whole point is to make you think he's upset about zoning when in reality he's planning to have your property declared a wetlands so you can't do anything with it. Doran always has a wider and deeper plan, and by the time you realize what he's done, it's far too late to stop it even if you could have (which you couldn't, he doesn't leave any loose ends).

That devious bastard! Just for that I'm not sending him the 2076 Super Bowl tickets he asked me to get for him.

The Dornish are pretty variable in their opinions, so yeah. It wouldn't be too hard to have them do pretty much anything. Also if we are going to erase quentyn, why not also erase Ariannes (dreadful) AFFC arc. Just have her ignore Myrcella, but then jump at the chance to marry Aegon once she finds out Viserys is dead and Aegon is OTW.

Boom, instant Dany-Dorne conflict, and almost exactly what's going to happen anyway.

Well regarding Dany and Tyrion...

Daenerys Targaryen was given the histories of her world as a wedding gift but neglected to read them. But you know who does know a lot of that? he says coyly. Tyrion.

http://www.vulture.com/2014/11/a-few-days-with-george-rr-martin.html?mid=nymag_press

It's weird he says that given there is a scene where Dany is recalling the stories she read in the books Jorah gave her. Not quite sure what he's talking about.

Well, I can't criticise him, tbh. It's taking me a whole year to return to work. Despite the fact I'm an emotional mess (for not Glee-related reasons), it's because it's also good that everybody in my work enviroment will forget about me and think I'm professionally destroyed. Heh.

Well, I can't criticise him, tbh. It's taking me a whole year to return to work. Despite the fact I'm an emotional mess (for not Glee-related reasons), it's because it's also good that everybody in my work enviroment will forget about me and think I'm professionally destroyed. Heh.

This too shall pass.

It's weird he says that given there is a scene where Dany is recalling the stories she read in the books Jorah gave her. Not quite sure what he's talking about.

He probably means she didn't read all three all the way through, but rather flipped through reading the occasional story that caught her interest.

Dany's forces will include a fleet sailing around Valyria, a land army following the demon road and the khalassar. The dragonriders wil be zipping back and forth to organize their movements. So, although Dany and Tyrion will shake hands, they will be at the different sides of the great march towards west. This way, George will have his POVs at different places to ease his hand.

I think they'll do a bit more than shake hands. He has to tell her he killed Tywin Lannister and help plan the battle strategy. But I agree they'll go in separate directions. Dany will be landing either in the Vale ala Visenya, or in Dorne. Tyrion will take his contingent around to the west of the continent and take Casterly Rock through the sewers.

Yep. Though, iirc she either forgot or didnt realise it was history, she believed it was a story. Unless I am much mistaken, the story described sounds a lot like Baelor the Blessed locking his sisters in the Maidenvault

The Dornish are pretty variable in their opinions, so yeah. It wouldn't be too hard to have them do pretty much anything. Also if we are going to erase quentyn, why not also erase Ariannes (dreadful) AFFC arc. Just have her ignore Myrcella, but then jump at the chance to marry Aegon once she finds out Viserys is dead and Aegon is OTW.

Boom, instant Dany-Dorne conflict, and almost exactly what's going to happen anyway.

We need to see Arianne's character first to understand why she will jump on the fAegon ship and lead Dorne to doom.

Arianne is destined to be a major character in TWOW. Therefore it makes sense to discover what kind of person she is in AFFC. I liked her story in that book.

We need to see Arianne's character first to understand why she will lead Dorne to doom.

We need to see how different Doran is to Arianne and the Sand Snakes. The Dornish arc is about balancing the desire for vengeance with the need for peace. Arianne's arc in AFFC shows the desire for vengeance and how it can all fall apart like her crowning Myrcella plot, this could also be foreshadowing how Doran's plan for vengeance using Dany's dragons could all fall apart.

Without as a character. If we remove Quentyn and make some minor modifications, what would the story lose?

Ok, gotcha. And well, the story would lose nothing :p

I see two options:

1) Make Doran be in on the Aegon plot from the beginning. It would explain why he never put that much effort into helping Dany and Viserys, and he would have no reason to send anyone to Meereen

2) Doran sends Drink or Archibald or a random Dornish emissary to Meereen (albeit without a POV) to offer Dany a marriage with Trystane (the betrothal to Myrcella could be put aside as the Lannisters did with Sansa). Dany still rejects the offer because of Hizdahr and Dorne gets pissed

It all depends on whether Doran is committed to the targaryen succession/restoration per se, the ruin of Lannister power, or advancing his own power and that of his family line. These are three different priorities, though not always uncomplimentary to each other, and Quentyn's death affects the three of them differently.

What I still don't get from Daenerys's point of view is why she did not take Quentyn more seriously--not as a sexual partner, but as a very prestigious lay from one of the most important regions of Westeros--by far the oat important Westerosi, in dynastic terms, she has ever met.

Archived