Could George make Dany and Dorne enemies without Quentyn?

Mithras

Quentyn's death wasn't necessary for the Dorne-Dany conflict. But he may create a Martell-Yronwood conflict. Nor was he a waste. He gave us a lot of insight into Essos and Meereen. Way more than Dany actually.

Actually, it was political necessity for Argilac. He couldn't take that insult and retain control over the Stormlands. Aegon knew exactly what he had to do to provoke a war.

The Yronwood thing I doubt, Yronwood is one of Doran's loyal and trusted men by looking at his actions, his son and a boy like his son dying seems more likely to push him to force Doran to take arms against Dany.

The Yronwood thing I doubt, Yronwood is one of Doran's loyal and trusted men by looking at his actions, his son and a boy like his son dying seems more likely to push him to force Doran to take arms against Dany.

Why? Yronwood died long before Quentyn even got close to Meereen. His death serving Quentyn on his doomed mission would likely make him resent Doran's plan. Unless you believe that the story he hears will be "the truth *wink, wink, nudge, nudge*"

Loyal and trusted while Quentyn and Cletus lived. Because Quentyn lived with him. No more.

He could go either way. It's just a possibility.

Loyal and trusted while Quentyn and Cletus lived. Because Quentyn lived with him. No more.

He could go either way. It's just a possibility.

The Martells and Yronwoods rode on opposite sides in 3 of the Blackfyre rebellions too, iirc. Doesn't necessarily mean anything, but...it could

I still think there is a small chance that Quentyn is alive. The circumstances of his death are curious, especially with Gerris pointing his sword at Quentyn's body when Barristan's men find them.

I'm firmly in the "Quentyn is alive" camp myself.

I mean the only purpose of Quentyn is to release the dragons and alienate Dorne and Dany.

Could George work that out without wasting pages for Quentyn?

Of course he could. To ask the question is to answer it. And as for the alienating Dorne and Dany thing goes, it is pure speculation that it will have any such effect, and that speculation is rather illogical IMHO.

Dany: Would you care to join me and my Hand, a Lannister, in the war to reclaim the IT for a dynasty that lost it in the first place because my brother cheated on his wife, a Dornish princess?

Dorne: We'll pass.

This. GRRM could have turned Dorne against Dany without Aegon or Quentyn.

I don't think Doran's aim is to advance Martell power, his main aim IMO is to get revenge for Elia and her children.

...in that case, he has it. People responsible for killing his sister and her children are all dead, yet he's just now calling his armies.

I feel like Quentyn's role is a more solid way of doing it because it adds another plotline:

I thought Quentyn's story was a good one.

But there are two potential grounds for conflict between Daenerys and Arianne.

1. The death of Quentyn

2. The death of Viserys.

Arianne is the first character to question Viserys' death in the manner that Dany had him removed.

I think that Arianne is to be the anti-Daenerys, a beautiful charismatic woman who is her rival for power in Westeros.

These. The Arianne vs Daenerys dynamic. This is gonna be cool. I cant wait.

Plus it brings into question stuff that Dany wasnt responsible for. Propaganda and the like. Dany wasnt responsible for Quentyn's death, just how she wasnt really responsible for Viserys' death. People are gonna talk. Many will assume that Dany will stop at nothing in her quest to gain power and this will frighten people. (making Dany look scary.)

I feel like Quentyn's role is a more solid way of doing it because it adds another plotline:

Arianne is the first character to question Viserys' death in the manner that Dany had him removed.

These. The Arianne vs Daenerys dynamic. This is gonna be cool. I cant wait.

Plus it brings into question stuff that Dany wasnt responsible for. Propaganda and the like. Dany wasnt responsible for Quentyn's death, just how she wasnt

really responsible for Viserys' death. People are gonna talk. Many will assume that Dany will stop at nothing in her quest to gain power and this will frighten people. (making Dany look scary.)

Arianne vs Daenerys will be fascinating. Both of them have the ability to make people worship the ground they walk on.

The Martells and Yronwoods rode on opposite sides in 3 of the Blackfyre rebellions too, iirc. Doesn't necessarily mean anything, but...it could

In Arianne I and in Feast and Dance is hinted that Doran has his lords and ladies very controlled and completely on his side. Arianne's pov is flawed as she doesn't have all the information, and she's very much making assumptions of the politics of Dorne based on what her young friends believe but not their parents, who are the ones who really matter. Whatever side Doran chooses, they will follow. And, I think there is not enough time for a rebellion in Dorne.

I don't think Doran's aim is to advance Martell power, his main aim IMO is to get revenge for Elia and her children. Of course since Elia was married to Rhaegar there is some loyalty from Doran towards the Targs, still he just wants revenge and he sees and Dany and her dragons as the best way to get it.

The Martells are also Targaryens. If you see it from their pov, they are the closest thing to the Targaryen royalty, something Aerys confirmed when he chose Elia. Also, their history has proven that they weren't conquered by Aegon. The Targaryens HAD to marry them to finally making them join the Seven Realms. While Doran is a good man who puts the well being of his people before his own, he still has that Dornish arrogance that makes him believe his sister's place has been usurped by the Lannisters, and his niece's throne, by the Baratheons. So, besides the revenge, he probably wants things to be as "they should have been".

I agree, even if she doesn't marry Quentyn she really shouldn't have dismissed him like she did in Meereen. She did want to go to Westeros eventually, so she really made a counterproductive move there.

She didn't dismiss it. Quentyn got there too late. She actually treated her kindly and Quentyn failed her taste when he was shown the dragons. Drink and other-guy-whose-name-forgot were told that by Quentyn, and it will all depend on what kind of story they will tell.

The War of Two Blondes.

Arianne has dark hair.

Quentyn's chapters are no more boring than Dany's, Jon's and Tyrion's chapters in ADWD. The only difference is that there are fewer of them, which is surely a good thing, and we get to meet a great new character. I honestly don't get why so many people think he doesn't have the 'right' to be in the story. GRRM writes the books, he can include who he likes. If you don't like it, don't read Quentyn's chapters. If you can't appreciate his character and his value in the books, that's your loss but that doesn't mean he doesn't have value. I think he has plenty of value and he's one of my favourite characters.

Archived