What will be Dany’s justification for invading Westeros?

Mithras

I'm confident that Marwyn's going to catch her up about the Others. That seems to be his main role in the plot.

The thing is, I don't see her rushing to the Wall to join the fight. It's not because of her, though (Tyrion was right: much like Harry Potter, girl has a bit of unfortunate hero complex), but because GRRM already played the card of a pretender rushing to the Wall to save the Night's Watch and I don't see him doing it again.

So add me to the fire and blood choir. And there's nothing wrong with that, considering that's pretty much Stannis' justification

What will be her justification for saving Westeros?

According to her;

"Why do the gods make kings and queens, if not to protect the ones who can't protect themselves?"

--Dany SOS

Fairly straightforward if you read her chapters. Unless, like the OP, you choose to twist every single things she says or does into something evil and violent for personal reasons of hatred.

Wait, is it known that Dany will invade Westeros at all? I though GRRM mentioned that Dany will go the Westeros, but that we know nothing about the circumstances.

If so, it's perfectly possible that Dany will be invited to Westeros at some point. It is extremely possible that Aegon might invite her, and they might not fall out until after Dany is in Westeros. Even if Aegon loses, if something happens to Tommen, the Tyrell dominated small council might rather have Dany on the throne than let Dorne have it through Trystane and Myrcella. And if Euron shows up with a Dragon, or if the White Walkers show up with Ice Dragons, everyone is going to want Dany to come to Westeros. Or some combination of the above: Aegon takes the throne, gets eaten by Euron's dragon while the white walkers break though the wall, and JonCon & Aegon's small council sends word to Dany to urgently come to Westeros.

Wait, is it known that Dany will invade Westeros at all? I though GRRM mentioned that Dany will go the Westeros, but that we know nothing about the circumstances.

Nope not at all. It is known she will go to Westeros at some point, GRRM has confirmed.

Has Dany ever once used the word 'invade' in regards to Westeros? NO that was Viserys.

Is it possible Westeros will need her and her dragons to fight the WW's and will be happy when she gets there? YES

According to her;

--Dany SOS

Fairly straightforward if you read her chapters. Unless, like the OP, you choose to twist every single things she says or does into something evil and violent for personal reasons of hatred.

Who exactly in Westeros needs Dany's protection and from what?

The 5 year/knot deal has lead to so many false epiphanies for Dany that I never feel too safe in any opinion. Having said that, I don't think the invitation idea resolves her primary obstacle; commitment to the whole SB saga. If she finds a way out of that, I don't particularly think the invitation vs. invasion distinction makes much difference unless you're concerned about how nice she is. But I don't think Fire and Blood is intended to give off nice vibes, and an invitation that just so happens to coincide with disentangling the SB stuff would imo feel very artificial.

Who exactly in Westeros needs Dany's protection and from what?

Every single person living there needs to be saved from the toxic and murderous Baratheon/Lannister reign. Just as they needed saving from Aery's reign.

As well as the hundreds of thousands that will need saving from the WW's.

According to her;

--Dany SOS

And she's protecting Westeros from? The Northerners want out, will she let them go? The Iron Islands want out but does Dany know best for the people of the Iron Islands or someone who has actually lived in the Iron Islands? Hence why I want her to go somewhere she is not wanted. To lay bare her reasons even to herself.

Might is right plus revenge plus ambition. I don't think she requires the moral high ground any more than any other potential conqueror. Which is to say, conquerors aren't generally very nice people.

ita, except that revenge is dubious, as all the people responsible for her family's demise are now dead themselves.

I doubt that she wants the IT at this point. She already knows she didn't enjoy the nurturing aspects of rulership in Meereen, and these will be a hundred times worse in Westeros, where she'll have to deal with bitching rulers, an endless winter, and a wrecked country. Also I think GRRM included her physical discomfort with sitting on her butt, giving judgment in Meereen deliberately. She complained about that, despite the fact that she could change her position, etc. Can you imagine her on the IT, the ultimate uncomfortable chair?

My crazy theory has her rushing back to help fight the Others after it turns out it's her fault for the Wall falling.

But crazy theories aside, I think Aegon taking the throne & Tyrion stoking the Blackfyre links will be the ultimate reason for her to invade. To remove a false (I actually think he is real) Dragon from the throne.

Every single person living there needs to be saved from the toxic and murderous Baratheon/Lannister reign. Just as they needed saving from Aery's reign.

As well as the hundreds of thousands that will need saving from the WW's.

Generally speaking, the vast majority of a medieval population are largely unaffected by changes to the board of governors. They tend to get royaly screwed by w/e royalty happens to enjoy current tenure. Even something as seemingly ground-breaking as the Norman Invasion was, according to many social historians, relatively inconsequential. I happen to be among those that think it in particular was more of a bump...just the forest laws imo were a great change...but it's highly debated.

It's much more of a factor for the various nobles and petty lords and such, where it has real and often immediate impact.

And she's protecting Westeros from? The Northerners want out, will she let them go? The Iron Islands want out but does Dany know best for the people of the Iron Islands or someone who has actually lived in the Iron Islands? Hence why I want her to go somewhere she is not wanted. To lay bare her reasons even to herself.

So you think the 7K were better off as described in WOIAF before Aegon made them all bend the knee?

Because I think it is fairly obvious that what Aegon did was a good thing. Westeros was in shambles and run by thugs with fear and force(mainly some psychotic ironborn). It was miserable before the Targaryens arrived.

Sometimes what people want and what is good for them collectively are two different things.

ita, except that revenge is dubious, as all the people responsible for her family's demise are now dead themselves.

I doubt that she wants the IT at this point. She already knows she didn't enjoy the nurturing aspects of rulership in Meereen, and these will be a hundred times worse in Westeros, where she'll have to deal with bitching rulers, an endless winter, and a wrecked country. Also I think GRRM included her physical discomfort with sitting on her butt, giving judgment in Meereen deliberately. She complained about that, despite the fact that she could change her position, etc. Can you imagine her on the IT, the ultimate uncomfortable chair?

I don't just mean the demise, i also mean the assassination attempt. ( which has an added degree of significance if she is indeed capable of having a child again.)

I agree she has shifting personal motivations, but it's also formative; Drogo aside, virtually every mentor/ role model she's had has been focused on a return to Westeros.

So you think the 7K were better off as described in WOIAF before Aegon made them all bend the knee?

Because I think it is fairly obvious that what Aegon did was a good thing. Westeros was in shambles and run by thugs with fear and force(mainly some psychotic ironborn). It was miserable before the Targaryens arrived.

How do you feel about his invasion of Dorne? That was nothing but blatant aggression on the part of Aegon and his sisters.

Westeros is still run by thugs (lords). There is no central authority that reaches to the people under the said thugs.

The Targs apparently didn't bother to build roads, or granaries, or change the agricultural system in response to the crazy winters, etc. They didn't build up the educational system, didn't provide schools. They didn't build a civil service or a standing army, both of which could have provided minor social mobility. What did the Targs do for Westeros?

Archived