Bakker XXXIV: Waiting for Grimdark (update: it’s here!)

Happy Ent

I'm guessing it's a reference to the "entire nations will be damned" quote. Which if you think about it seems like it's an indictment of Intrithism, although really it could mean pretty much anything.

Man, I'm not getting enough sleep - I read Anatúrinbor as saying 'there is no right or wrong way'!

I wonder how many incarnations of the Bakker thread we will go through until TUC is finally released.

At the end of the current thread, there should be a new short story to discuss. It’s not that bad.

I’ve heard of entire fora that have longer waiting times and still manage to populate more than one thread.

^then I read his post and by the time I look up the words and figure everything out, my head is spinning just like that toolshed, lol!

I do think it wouldn't be such a bad thing if these threads slow down so I can try to better appreciate what Solo is saying. In general I feel like this topos-khora stuff - arguably breaking new ground as opposed to the eternal recurrence of usual topics - requires a bit of reflection between posts.

I do think it wouldn't be such a bad thing if these threads slow down so I can try to better appreciate what Solo is saying. In general I feel like this topos-khora stuff - arguably breaking new ground as opposed to the eternal recurrence of usual topics - requires a bit of reflection between posts.

I'm sure it does. It's very interesting stuff. That's just a little above my paygrade,would love to read others thoughts on it though. I was just joking around, Solo, always has good posts/input.

I think it's like the real world Abrahamic religions where yo need to be saved be believing the right way. You need to be saved from the demons of the outside. If i had a guess to who is right, the Fanim are saved by the grace of the Solitary God, the Zeumi fall to oblivion, and the Inrithi damn themselves by worshiping demons and even reach for them in the outside. You can be damned without the mark but the mark means your interesting enough to the hundred that the will catch you and nom on your soul.

So why is Mimara not damned according to the JE?

I'm sure it does. It's very interesting stuff. That's just a little above my paygrade,would love to read others thoughts on it though. I was just joking around, Solo, always has good posts/input.

No worries, I was agreeing with you. I probably should have read Derrida a long time ago since one of my old employers wrote a book about Dante & Derrida, but I think I was too busy pursuing the scholarly import of numerous RTS games...

So why is Mimara not damned according to the JE?

Hmm good question, she's Zaudunyaini or however you spell it and we know that's a fraud. Maybe the judging eye shows the end result and not the current state. Or maybe she's just the chosen of God because she has the JE.

I recall her seeing herself with the JE and thinking that she was good, but I could be mistaken.

She looks in a pool and sees herself, short, pentinant hair and with clothes that smell of borrowed things.

It's also a touch point in the supposed absolute morality that she has been judged good - and can't stand the idea of that. To end up in the good books would actually be a kind of eternal torment for her. That's how fucked up sex slavery is.

Then again Scott calls it absolute morality, so I dunno what's going on when he shows what is surely a contradiction to the absoluteness (maybe he just means absolute as a reference to how much a particular morality is enforced?)

Then, in the empty interval between breaths, the Judging Eye opens. For a time she gazes in stupefaction, then she weeps at the transformation. Her hair cropped penitent short. Her clothingfine, but with the smell of borrowed things. Her belly low and heavy with child And a halo about her head, bright and silver and so very holy. The encircling waters darken for its glow. She convulses about breathless sobs, falls clutching her knees for anguish For she sees that she is goodand this she cannot bear. The old Wizard pesters her with questions when she returns. He wonders at her swollen eyesworries. She withdraws the way she always withdraws when dismay overwhelms her ability to think clearly. She can see the hurt and the confusion in the Wizards eyes, knows that he has treasured the gradual intimacy that has grown between themthat he truly has come to think of her as his daughter But this can never be, for fathers do not lie with their daughters. So she spurns him, even as she allows him to curl about her. To shelter.

here ya go!

Archived