RIP Leonard Nimoy

Greywolf2375

I too want to mention his portrayal of William Bell on Fringe. I thought he did a great job and even though I've been a Trek fan from the very early 70's, and Spock was always a favorite, that is the role I like thinking about. It showed given a chance he could have been great in a much wider variety of roles.

RIP.

I was just watching this last night always makes me laugh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGF5ROpjRAU

Try getting that out of your head

I know part of him hated the charecter he was most known for but if you have to be known for something it might as well be that. I'm going to have to go watch that simpsons/xfliles spoof where he shows up and rasie a glass.

"Do not grieve..."

And yet I must it is logical. :(

I'm not surprised as I have been following updated about Mr. Nimoy since he checked himself into the hospital with chest pains. He'd also been suffering from COPD.

So not surprised, just immensely, immensely sad.

I'm very thankful I got to see him at a Trek Con in the mid 90's. Probably one of the most entertaining cons I've been too. When Mr. Nimoy got up to talk he wasn't just trying to fill the time he was supposed to be there with nonsense. He brought his own slides and discussed the process of filmmaking by talking about his past and current projects with clear passion, and it was a great presentation.

Rip Leonard Nimoy, I have been and always will be your admirer.

It's very sad news. While it's impossible to imagine the original Star Trek without Kirk, Bones or Scotty I think perhaps Spock was even more critical to the show than they were and I can't imagine anyone doing the role better than Nimoy did. As well as his acting he also directed two of the better Star Trek films.

I've not seen much of his non-Star Trek acting but I did think he was very good in Fringe as well.

Geez, I remember watching the opening Star Trek episode, and how excited I was. I had been reading science fiction since I was 8 or 9 (Isaac Asimov and Andre Norton, Ray Bradbury and Robert Heinlein) and the idea that there would be a science fiction series on tv was just bliss, since television was full of cop shows and westerns. The first reviews of Mr. Spock and his ears were pretty snotty, ears did not make him exotic enough. And then at the end of each season it always seemed it would be cancelled, because the ratings just weren't there. Sadly, it only lasted 3 seasons, but back then a season had a lot of episodes, and happily there were 79 to watch, forever in re-run. I had to wait until the Ontario equivalent of PBS, TVO, picked up Dr. Who in 1976 to get my science fiction fix on a regular basis. Well, other than Star Trek re-runs. The image of Mr. Spock with a tribble will remain with me forever.

I'm sure Leonard Nimoy had no idea what he was getting into when he accepted the role of Spock, but he gave the character such gravitas and distinction, he created a character than will live long in all our hearts. RIP, after a life well lived.

I'll just take what I posted on my blog and paste it here. For someone like me, who grew up with the original series, this is just a body blow I knew was coming but still couldn't prevent.

Damn, this one was not unexpected but still a gut punch to us baby boomers, nerds, and anyone who appreciated a man who lived his life with passion, panache, and grace. He wasn’t just a TV actor in a cult TV series. He recorded albums (plus the notorious Ballad of Bilbo Baggins), wrote poetry, two autobiographies, directed films, had a memorable role as William Bell in the series Fringe, and was an engaging photographer whose subjects were different than the norm but no less human in Nimoy’s lens. Really, that goes to the essence of Spock. For all his reserve and cold logic, his human side was always kind, generous, forgiving, angry, impassioned, and ever curious.

I started watching Star Trek in seventh grade. When it was first run my mother steered us away from it. Nothing good could come of watching science fiction. Then our only local TV station picked it up for reruns and had the smarts to do it in that 4:00-5:00 after school time slot. Basketball season was over. A friend of mine lived a block from school and with another friend we’d camp out on the living room floor, eager to go where no man had boldly gone before. I don’t know about the others but I guess I was relating most to Spock. Even then I could identify more with the half human/half alien outsider, a creature of cold logic and rampant intellectual curiosity BUT not without human quibbles and passions. He was perhaps the first complex TV character that I could relate to. Little did I know that a few hundred miles away there was a girl around my age who was declaring on the playground “No, I am Spock”. You know, the one I married.

So rest in peace Mr. Nimoy. You gave me and countless others an anchor to identify with, not to mention a role model on how to live life on this planet. Thank you for the journey.

Archived