Which bit of TWOIAF would make the best book?

One of my favorite chapters is Aegon the Unworthy because I find it almost Shakespearean in its drama. Before TWOIAF all we really knew about this Targaryen king was that he was a prolific whoremonger who used women and discarded them like used tissues. We could have even guessed that he must have been a dick given the moniker "Unworthy" and that he legitimatized all of the Great Bastards on his deathbed. Also bestowing Blackfyre upon Daemon. Another dick-move.

But little did we know what a COMPLETE monster he was. He forced Naerys to sleep with him even though she was very frail and just wanted to retire as a septa. He was intensely jealous of Aemon the Dragonknight. Out of his dislike and cruelty towards his sister-wife he had an irrational hatred of his only trueborn son, Daeron, even though his heir was ten times the man Aegon IV was. I am fascinated by the royal mistresses that Aegon kept, each laid out in great detail. Some like Melissa Blackwood are ones to cheer for, others like Barba Bracken were opportunistic and petty. And poor Bethany Bracken...a victim of her sister and father's ambitions.

Also he was a bit Joffrey-ish in his stupidity. I laughed out loud reading about how his great wooden dragon, meant to conquer Dorne, erupted in wildfyre, burning a huge portion of the Kingswood. What a buffoon. Daeron tried to sue for peace but Aegon, being Aegon, rejected just to go against his son once again. Petty little man.

Let's not forget the Great Bastards, each so interesting in their own right. There is so much drama and intrigue packed into Aegon IV's reign and the subsequent aftermath of spiteful decision to favor his bastards over his trueborn son. 

A travel guide by Corlys Velaryon
And,of course,Wonders and Wonders made by man by Lomas Longstrider!

Agreed! That said--ALL OF IT!!!!

👍🎉🎷💃🏻♥️

I keep hearing how soooo many people want to see Robert's Rebellion as a pre-quel on HBO.

I suspect--from all the fan made music videos I see on YouTube--'cuz of Lyanna & Rhaeghar

I want to see the rest of the World.

& of course Dunk &Egg.

I hope HBO/ WarnerBros. realize that they have an endless supply of stories here & use them to make films & great TV!

The fall of the Great Empire of the Dawn.

It is suggested to link in to the beginning of the Long Night and that could be very cool.

A lot of the unknown and mysterious lands and places could really do with some cool Robert E. Howard style short adventure stories. E.g Ironborn Raiders hunting for loot in Sothyros and meeting their doom, or treasure hunters seeking riches in the sealed up underground ruins of Leng.

I am fascinated by the royal mistresses that Aegon kept, each laid out in great detail. Some like Melissa Blackwood are ones to cheer for, others like Barba Bracken were opportunistic and petty. And poor Bethany Bracken...a victim of her sister and father's ambitions.

Also he was a bit Joffrey-ish in his stupidity. I laughed out loud reading about how his great wooden dragon, meant to conquer Dorne, erupted in wildfyre, burning a huge portion of the Kingswood. What a buffoon. Daeron tried to sue for peace but Aegon, being Aegon, rejected just to go against his son once again. Petty little man.

Let's not forget the Great Bastards, each so interesting in their own right. There is so much drama and intrigue packed into Aegon IV's reign and the subsequent aftermath of spiteful decision to favor his bastards over his trueborn son. 

Where is it proven that Barba Bracken was petty or opportunistic? I think someone's been reading the Blackwood Daily Mail too much... ;)

About the original question: For me, ANYTHING about Valyria! The families, the numbers of dragons, the explorations, the technology, the gods and the magic!

Where is it proven that Barba Bracken was petty or opportunistic? I think someone's been reading the Blackwood Daily Mail too much... ;)

About the original question: For me, ANYTHING about Valyria! The families, the numbers of dragons, the explorations, the technology, the gods and the magic!

Well, it is stated that Barba and her father Lord Bracken, disgraced former Hand of the King conspired for younger daughter Bethany Bracken to seduce Aegon IV so that she could dislodge Melissa Blackwood (sworn enemies of the Brackens) from her position as royal mistress of the King. With Melissa unseated, the Brackens were allowed to return to court and regain the favor of the King they so desperately wanted. It was only with Bethany's affair with Ser Terrance Toyne of the Kingsguard that the Brackens were definitely banished....Barba sulking back to Stone Hedge with Bittersteel and Bethany and Lord Bracken beheaded in turn.

I would absolutely classify this effort by Barba and Lord Bracken as petty and opportunistic. The Brackens have shown time and again throughout the histories to have these two characteristic traits. Treachery and scheming is their modus operandi. Their blind jealousy of House Blackwood has lead them to debase themselves in numerous. Now if GRRM wrote this as a strong preference and bias to Blackwood, it could be said. But just going off of the world and story GRRM created, the Brackens are all assholes. 

Also it is heavily implied that Barba's venomous hatred of Melissa is what, in turn, spurred the intense jealous her son Aegor "Bittersteel" Rivers had towards Brynden "Bloodraven" Rivers, Melissa's son. So the poison runs strong in that family any way you look at it. 

Archived