Shattered Sea Trilogy II - Spoilers of "Half a King", "Half a World" & "Half a War"

The hairy bear

Yeah, it's way too bright to be a watch that exists right now, and that's not even going into how it's been X hundred years after the apocalypse and the thing is still working.

So, how about the actual story spoilers, eh?

I dunno, there are some bright ass watches out there now. I have to cover up my Luminox at night or the bastard keeps me up.

Just finished it, I loved it. I enjoyed the first one but I felt Half the World was far superior in both narrative and characters.

About the discussion of how Thorn became an elite fighter - people are overlooking the many years of training that she undertook beforehand, both in the training yard, and privately (she mentions whacking her fathers sword endlessly on a log or something). Obviously someone with that much experience will take to other forms of sword fighting better than a complete amateur would.

• 2 weeks later...

BTW; I am sure I'm not the only one that when reading Gorm-gil-Grom's prophecy that "no man can kill him", spent the whole first book believing that he would be killed by Yarvi because he is just "half a man", and then spent the whole second book thinking it would be Thorn because she's a woman.

BTW; I am sure I'm not the only one that when reading Gorm-gil-Grom's prophecy that "no man can kill him", spent the whole first book believing that he would be killed by Yarvi because he is just "half a man", and then spent the whole second book thinking it would be Thorn because she's a woman.

For anyone but Abercrombie, yeah maybe, but that's so Tolkein already. I feel like he's much more likely to die in some absurd accident (proverbial anachronistic piano falls from the sky on his head; choking; drowning, etc.), or by disease (cancer or otherwise), or, you know, be killed by a man who is a better fighter, because prophecy ain't all that.

For anyone but Abercrombie, yeah maybe, but that's so Tolkein already. I feel like he's much more likely to die in some absurd accident (proverbial anachronistic piano falls from the sky on his head; choking; drowning, etc.), or by disease (cancer or otherwise), or, you know, be killed by a man who is a better fighter, because prophecy ain't all that.

I'm guessing he's going to get kicked in the head by a random horse in the next book. I'd say "fall off a ship", but apparently that's a not exactly fatal accident in these parts.

The first page of Half a War was posted on Joe's Twitter. We've met, or at least heard mention of, one of the POV characters already.

The first page of Half a War was posted on Joe's Twitter. We've met, or at least heard mention of, one of the POV characters already.

Very interesting!

So far, all POV's had been from Gettland. The inclusion of the princess of Throvenland will surely help to have a wider and complex view of the war.

I didn't regarding Yarvi, but yeah, from the second Thorn met Gorm, I assumed they'd fight and she'd kill her, and was rather exasperated when it happened. The outcome managed to be a somewhat surprising one, though.

I actually didn't like Half a King very much at all, to be honest. It wasn't bad, but it was just that: bland and inoffensive. As well as disgustingly predictable. This one though I found myself enjoying a great deal more, even if Thorn's arc is one we've all seen about fifty billion times before, it was well done, and I enjoyed both her and Brand's story, even if I got very bored of their romance.

I'm really glad Abercrombie made the wise decision to move away from Yarvi's PoV. Not because he was a boring character (I sort of thought he was, but thats not the reason) but because he became far more interesting when we saw him from other characters viewpoints, and keeping with him as the main PoV character wouldn't have made any sense. Basically he did exactly what I really wish someone like Anthony Ryan had done in his second book, Tower Lord. So I guess I enjoyed this one a fair bit.

Did anyone else notice though how we hear about all the crew of the South Wind, but only about 3 or 4 of them who we hadn't met before or who weren't PoV characters actually got names or any form of characterisation or presence at all? Not complaining. Just noticed.

• 2 weeks later...

Really enjoyed the second book. I think the empress assassination attempt was one of Abercrombie's best set pieces - incredibly tense throughout.

I felt the Thorn and Brand relationship was handled really well (although I think he skimmed over the return journey a bit too neatly) although maybe I have the maturity of a teen. I was going to swear vengeance at the scene where Brand went off to become a warrior as I felt that was the last time the two characters were going to be together. Fortunately he didn't do that but given his record he had me worried.

I agree with the others in that Yarvi works so much better as a non-POV character. The kid is bad-ass. I'm seriously wondering if this series ends with him being emperor (First law spoiler)

it's like watching a young Bayaz make his way to the top

. I certainly think Joe's enjoyment of breaking bad has found its way into the narrative anyway.

Gorm is a great "villain". I like how he never does exactly as you'd expect.

I'm wondering if the next book will be a few more years down the road again? Maybe following Koll, with Thorn and Brand (although I think Brand may be sidelined) as more mature non POV characters alongside Yarvi.

I get the impression that writing this series was an inspired decision. There were elements of Red Country that suggested to me that Joe was getting close to a rut (or I was getting in a rut with the first law). The shattered sea has proven to be a breath of fresh air and I beleive the first law will be better for it once he returns to it. The fun thing now is that I'll probably wind up as eager to see more of the shattered sea once the trilogy is complete.

Really enjoyed the second book. I think the empress assassination attempt was one of Abercrombie's best set pieces - incredibly tense throughout.

I felt the Thorn and Brand relationship was handled really well (although I think he skimmed over the return journey a bit too neatly) although maybe I have the maturity of a teen. I was going to swear vengeance at the scene where Brand went off to become a warrior as I felt that was the last time the two characters were going to be together. Fortunately he didn't do that but given his record he had me worried.

I agree with the others in that Yarvi works so much better as a non-POV character. The kid is bad-ass. I'm seriously wondering if this series ends with him being emperor (First law spoiler)

it's like watching a young Bayaz make his way to the top

. I certainly think Joe's enjoyment of breaking bad has found its way into the narrative anyway.

Gorm is a great "villain". I like how he never does exactly as you'd expect.

I'm wondering if the next book will be a few more years down the road again? Maybe following Koll, with Thorn and Brand (although I think Brand may be sidelined) as more mature non POV characters alongside Yarvi.

I get the impression that writing this series was an inspired decision. There were elements of Red Country that suggested to me that Joe was getting close to a rut (or I was getting in a rut with the first law). The shattered sea has proven to be a breath of fresh air and I beleive the first law will be better for it once he returns to it. The fun thing now is that I'll probably wind up as eager to see more of the shattered sea once the trilogy is complete.

I agree with most of that.

But, while Yarvi is certainly ruthless, I don't think he has the intense selfishness of Bayaz.

I agree with most of that.

But, while Yarvi is certainly ruthless, I don't think he has the intense selfishness of Bayaz.

Not yet...

I certainly hope he doesn't get there either. I think his intentions are largely noble.

Yeah, unlike Bayaz, Yarvi seems to actually seems to have a very specific sense of loyalty and acts less for personal gain and more for the good of his family and people, even if that requires some ruthlessness and sacrifice (see poisoning his Uncle and risking Thorn for example). But I do see a very diluted version of Bayaz in him I guess

• 3 weeks later...

New blurb for book three, Half a War:

New York Times bestselling author Joe Abercrombie delivers the stunning conclusion to the epic fantasy trilogy that began with Half a King, praised by George R. R. Martin as “a fast-paced tale of betrayal and revenge that grabbed me from page 1 and refused to let go.”

Words are weapons.

Princess Skara has seen all she loved made blood and ashes. She is left with only words. But the right words can be as deadly as any blade. If she is to reclaim her birthright, she must conquer her fears and sharpen her wits to a lethal edge.

Only half a war is fought with swords.

The deeply cunning Father Yarvi has walked a long road from crippled slave to king’s minister. He has made allies of old foes and stitched together an uneasy peace. But now the ruthless Grandmother Wexen has raised the greatest army since the elves made war on God, and put Bright Yilling at its head—a man who worships only Death.

Sometimes one must fight evil with evil.

Some—like Thorn Bathu and the sword-bearer Raith—are born to fight, perhaps to die. Others—like Brand the smith and Koll the wood-carver—would rather stand in the light. But when Mother War spreads her irons wings, she may cast the whole Shattered Sea into darkness.

http://www.randomhouse.com/book/236098/half-a-war-by-joe-abercrombie/book

Thanks for the lin Jussi!

It seems tha Princess Skara is being portrayed as the main POV. I would guess that the other two will be Raith and Koll, since they are the only two characters mentioned that have not been POV before.

I'm happy to see Brand included. I thought that we had seen the last of him after Half a World.

Thanks for the lin Jussi!

It seems tha Princess Skara is being portrayed as the main POV. I would guess that the other two will be Raith and Koll, since they are the only two characters mentioned that have not been POV before.

I'm happy to see Brand included. I thought that we had seen the last of him after Half a World.

Careful what you wish for. It's an Abercrombie book so being present in a book just means there's a chance something awful will happen to them.

spoilers regarding book blurb.

I had a feeling Koll would step up into the next book. Am I missing something with Raith? Have we seen that character before?

I spent the latter part of the book expecting a Mountain vs Red Viper redux duel...

Also, apparently I've read these books way too quickly. Why do we think it's post-apocalyptic earth?

Also, apparently I've read these books way too quickly. Why do we think it's post-apocalyptic earth?

There seems to have been sea-level change but the map does look similar to Scandanavia/Eastern Europe. If you look at the map the ancient elf-cities seem to correspond to the positions of modern cities and often their names are similar (the characters even comment at one point that their names are variations on the ancient names). Stokom is Stockholm, Lunangad is St Petersburg/Leningrad, Kalyiev on the Denied River is Kiev on the River Dniper, The First of Cities is Istanbul, Skekenhouse is Copenhagen.

Archived