Shattered Sea Trilogy II - Spoilers of "Half a King", "Half a World" & "Half a War"

The hairy bear

I spent the latter part of the book expecting a Mountain vs Red Viper redux duel...

Also, apparently I've read these books way too quickly. Why do we think it's post-apocalyptic earth?

The geography approximates to Scandinavia and the ex-Soviet Union.

The geography approximates to Scandinavia and the ex-Soviet Union.

Also, the description of an elf-stone necklace in book one

is straight-up a circuit board.

And in book two

someone very clearly uses a semi-automatic pistol but calls it elf-magic.

All of those are pretty vague spoilers, fwiw.

• 2 weeks later...

Also, the description of an elf-stone necklace in book one

is straight-up a circuit board.

And in book two

someone very clearly uses a semi-automatic pistol but calls it elf-magic.

All of those are pretty vague spoilers, fwiw.

It doesn't quite fit with a machine gun though, since the ground actually takes fire from its' use. And maybe it's just me, but the description of Thorn's elf-bangle doesn't really match a digital clock.

I like how the geography corresponds but also hearkens back to the geographical origins of modern cities: coastal trading in Scandinavia and the continental river system that the Vikings used to reach Constantinople, and founded Kiev along the way. Even without the similarity in names, the journey on the Divine and Denied was instantly recognizable from Viking trading voyages.

It is a fun reimagining of Viking-era culture and situation with encroaching Christianity and a centralization of power.

I like how the geography corresponds but also hearkens back to the geographical origins of modern cities: coastal trading in Scandinavia and the continental river system that the Vikings used to reach Constantinople, and founded Kiev along the way. Even without the similarity in names, the journey on the Divine and Denied was instantly recognizable from Viking trading voyages.

It is a fun reimagining of Viking-era culture and situation with encroaching Christianity and a centralization of power.

Christianity, as we would understand it, seems to have vanished.

But, the worship of "The One God" seems to fill a similar role.

Christianity, as we would understand it, seems to have vanished.

But, the worship of "The One God" seems to fill a similar role.

For all we know, that is Christianity, or at least its post-apocalyptic descendant - none of the protagonists have been followers of the One God, so we don't really know anything about its tenets.

The monotheistic religion, with Constantinople as a primary center, spreading northward and being used to support increased centralization of monarchic state power is a pretty close metaphor for Christianity's impact on Viking-era Scandinavia.

The issue is not whether it actually is Christianity but that it's a transparent proxy for the historical role it had.

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished book 2. Really enjoyed it! I have to admit to being surprised at how much Yarvi has grown. He seems so much shrewder than in book 1 and it's only been a few years. I was surprised at the turn of events for Isriun. I expected a different story for her. Also loved the new characters. Pleasantly surprised at the roles for women in this series.

And thanks, Wert and gang, for the RL map. That really helped with comprehending the story. Eager for part 3.

The first three chapters of Half a War are online!

Great read. I like that this third book starts already in the midst of action, straight to the chase. I love Koll joining the ministry, and Skara has a lot of potential as a character.

Was it necessary to kill Safrit offscreen? :(

• 1 month later...

Not yet...

I certainly hope he doesn't get there either. I think his intentions are largely noble.

Half a War is now on sale in Waterstones, Piccadilly.

I now think your comparison between Yarvi and Bayaz is not unreasonable. Yarvi still has a conscience, but perhaps Bayaz still had one in his twenties.

I now think your comparison between Yarvi and Bayaz is not unreasonable. Yarvi still has a conscience, but perhaps Bayaz still had one in his twenties.

Iirc, Half the World also appeared earlier than planned in London Waterstones stores. Seem to recall mentioning that in the last thread

Release dates are no longer what they used to be. I guess it's very hard to control when the distributors release the book, specially with the big ones. But still it seems unfair for the smaller bookstores and for readers who had planned to buy it in the first day.

It's an embargoed title so those books should not have gone out. Extremely annoying.

I bought Half a World in the same shop, a week before it's official release date.

I thoroughly enjoyed the series.

I'm late to the party this go around. I just finished Half the World last night. Fantastic read. Honestly think it might be my favorite Abercrombie book. I need to let that thought marinate a bit before I commit to it. Either way, it was a great book. To chime in late to the party, I just assumed the bangle was a watch too. :dunno: I have a Rolex that I can never remember how to get unclasped unless I really think about it. I'm unaware of any specific watches that have a "mood ring" function, but I'm sure they exist. I also own a watch that is solar powered that sets its time from a satellite every night. Presumably, if the world went post-apocalyptic today; that watch could keep going with the correct time until the Vikings show up again. :lol:

I didn't realize that Half a War was so close to release, after seeing Joe's dismay, I promptly went to Amazon and pre-ordered mine.

Bayaz prequel where we get to see he wasn't all that bad at first?

I'll hold on until Joe does his signing at Bristol on Friday.

It's an embargoed title so those books should not have gone out. Extremely annoying.

I didn't think an early release was a problem until (Mark Lawrence) mentioned it can screw up first week chart sales in the sense the early ones aren't counted and I guess those chart positions make a difference if you get on them.

Do stores get a slapped wrist for breaking embargoes? I'd have thought Waterstones would be more careful unless they assume they are the majority of sales.

Bayaz prequel where we get to see he wasn't all that bad at first?

I'll hold on until Joe does his signing at Bristol on Friday.

I didn't think an early release was a problem until (Mark Lawrence) mentioned it can screw up first week chart sales in the sense the early ones aren't counted and I guess those chart positions make a difference if you get on them.

Do stores get a slapped wrist for breaking embargoes? I'd have thought Waterstones would be more careful unless they assume they are the majority of sales.

I'll give my reasons, once the official release date has passed.

Archived