Small Questions v. 10097

Rhaenys_Targaryen

Yeah, that as well. Jon doesn' seem able to connect with Ghost when they are on opposite sides of the Wall. The counter argument usually is that "Bloodraven is much stronger than Jon!", but I don't really find that a good counter..

Maybe he's connecting via weirnet like Bran did from the crypts when Bloodraven showed Ghost/Jon the Wilding army...

I like to think that Balerion likes to bully Lannisters in KL, as revenge for Rhaenys.. But more like the poor animal was just traumatized from the Sack, and thus acts the way he does.

I wouldn't entirely rule out the possibility that Balerion is being warged, but by Rhaenys. There is after all the theory that trauma can play a role in "activating" one's warging abilities. Rhaenys's death was certainly traumatic, with her being repeatedly stabbed. Let's also not forget Robb Stark's death, when he says Grey Wind's name, with some believing that he was instinctively trying to warg Grey Wind. With the relatively recent revelation that Rhaenys has somewhat significant Blackwood descent, I think it's an idea that may have some merit

Maybe he's connecting via weirnet like Bran did from the crypts when Bloodraven showed Ghost/Jon the Wilding army...

Did Bloodraven reveal the army? Or did Ghost when he was wandering around? I can't recall anything that suggests Bloodraven.

I wouldn't entirely rule out the possibility that Balerion is being warged, but by Rhaenys. There is after all the theory that trauma can play a role in "activating" one's warging abilities. Rhaenys's death was certainly traumatic, with her being repeatedly stabbed. Let's also not forget Robb Stark's death, when he says Grey Wind's name, with some believing that he was instinctively trying to warg Grey Wind. With the relatively recent revelation that Rhaenys has somewhat significant Blackwood descent, I think it's an idea that may have some merit

I wouldn't mind it if this was true. I'd like it :)

Mellario might have ordered him to stay.

Areo might have become Doran's because he got Mellario's property when they married. (Can that happen in Westeros, is Areo property?)

Areo might have been a wedding present to Doran.

Well he would have been sold as a slave to the Bearded Priests iirc from the World book? So he would be "property" in Norvos, but slavery is illegal in Westeros so I would say no...

But what you say sounds plausible, thanks :) Otherwise that is a very one-sided custody ruling: "honey, I'm taking the three kids, AND your guard dog, and there is nothing you can do about it!" :p

Did Bloodraven reveal the army? Or did Ghost when he was wandering around? I can't recall anything that suggests Bloodraven.

I wouldn't mind it if this was true. I'd like it :)

Somebody showed Ghost that great host. He didn't just stumble on it...

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/113297-some-questions-about-jon-and-brans-hookup-on-the-weirnet/

But he guards Doran, not Arriane Trystane or Quentyn.

Well, Arianne is very much an adult already. And Quentyn didn't even live with them. Also, Trystane is a child who is probably taken care of very well by servants and a small guard. There are no real dangers in where they live.

Doran, otoh, is very sick. If he's been made a guard of Dorne, he owes loyalty to Doran. that doesn't mean that, when it will be needed, he wouldn't be in charge of the safeness of the "children"

That's Balerion, most likely, Princess Rhaenys' little black kitten.. :)

Arya could warg Nymeria from Braavos.. Granted, there seems to be less distance between Braavos and the Riverlands, compared to Beyond the Wall and KL, but still.. I think that the idea is the stronger a warg you are, the bigger the distance over which you can control an animal. Though until this far, the person doing the warging has actually been in the presence of the animal he/she is warging, at least once (even if that wasn't the occasion where the first-time warging occured). Or am I forgetting something? Balerion wasn't around yet when Bloodraven was. If that is a criterium, then Bloodraven can't be warging the cat.. That doesn't mean that he can't be watching those in KL, though ;)

I like to think that Balerion likes to bully Lannisters in KL, as revenge for Rhaenys.. But more like the poor animal was just traumatized from the Sack, and thus acts the way he does.

Thank you, thank you! I feel so much better, now.

The other day someone asked me a couple of questions I was unable answer, and they've been bugging me ever since. After Jaime's return to King's Landing Lord Tywin suggests that Jaime should go to Casterly Rock and take Tommen with him as his ward and squire. Does he seriously mean it? Tommen is the King. Can he really leave the capital just like that to be someone's squire? Can a king even be a squire? I know that a prince can, but a king :dunno: ? Also, can a king live at any place other than the capital? Please help me with these questions. I honestly can't think of any answers :blush: .

The quote: "You are the heir to Casterly rock. That is where you should be. Tommen should accompany you, as your ward and squire.The Rock is where he'll learn to be a Lannister, and I want him away from his mother."

The other day someone asked me a couple of questions I was unable answer, and they've been bugging me ever since. After Jaime's return to King's Landing Lord Tywin suggests that Jaime should go to Casterly Rock and take Tommen with him as his ward and squire. Does he seriously mean it? Tommen is the King. Can he really leave the capital just like that to be someone's squire? Can a king even be a squire? I know that a prince can, but a king :dunno: ? Also, can a king live at any place other than the capital? Please help me with these questions. I honestly can't think of any answers :blush: .

The quote: "You are the heir to Casterly rock. That is where you should be. Tommen should accompany you, as your ward and squire.The Rock is where he'll learn to be a Lannister, and I want him away from his mother."

Under normal circumstances a king would not leave the capital to be someones squire. However under these circumstances, Tywin was the defacto ruler, with Tommen not even old enough to rule in his own right, and nobody would have questioned him sending Tommen to CR until he comes of age.

As to whether the king can live anywhere but the capital, some kings did not reside exclusively in King's Landing and spent significant time at Dragonstone or Summerhall. Along the same lines, we know that following Tytos Lannister's death, Aerys II relocated to Casterly Rock for the better part of a year alongside Prince Rhaegar and most of the court. The king could likely reside where he wished. King's Landing being the seat seems to be a combination of custom and logistics (since the Red Keep, for one, cannot be moved)

Regarding whether Tommen could be a ward or a squire, the only other child king we've seen is Aegon III. We don't know enough of his regency to know what sort of tasks might have been his. Tommen could certainly perform the duties of a squire, and the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard wouldn't be the worst choice for him to serve under (granted, Tywin wanted Jaime out of the Kingsguard). If Tywin were to become regent, presumably he would've had a bit more ability to dictate what Tommen did. It makes one suspect that Tywin might have ousted Cersei from the regency if he'd had the chance to.

Being late to the party... yes, 1) the king can dictate most things, and as long as not too many great lords suffer, that will happen. No need for the king to be in the capital, most real-world medieval kings, especially the earler ones, weren't. Westeros examples have been named.

2) For the king to be a squire - I think in the idea of chivalry, such a wish might arise, and of course, the double-reversal of power would be a big problem there. Modern military has it when accomplished medical doctors or pilots start as recruits but are already being given high commanding officer ranks: their training sergeants need to ask for the dispense of etiquette and to being allowed to order them around.

There's of course no need for a king to aspire for knighthood, but he can do as he pleases, see 1) ;)

It's all good. Tywin had strong grip on the capitol.Tommen sshould have been trained as a squire before knighthood.

Blue Tiger, on 02 Mar 2015 - 1:34 PM, said:snapback.png

During reading article about Hadrian's Wall , I've read that at the wall there were beacons ( like on Halifirien in Gondor and on Great Wall in China). They were used to warn about incoming enemies and to communicate.

Do we know if Night's Watch uses something similar or do they communicate only via ravens and messengers?

"I've sent to Oldtown for more maesters. You'll have two ravens for when your need is urgent. When it's not, send riders. Until we have more maesters and more birds, I mean to establish a line of beacon towers along the top of the Wall."

Jon II, Dance

Edited by Lost Melnibonean, Yesterday, 03:13 PM.

Jon would know about beacon fires because the North uses them. He counseled Stannis that he could not attack the Dreadfort unseen because he could not outrun ravens and beacon fires. ETA: font

Im reading ACOK and have some questions regarding Theons faith.

He often thinks about gods, not one god. and he tells asha that when he becomes king he would send her to the silent sisters. Also, he has wex, a squire. Doesnt only knights have squires?

Im reading ACOK and have some questions regarding Theons faith.

He often thinks about gods, not one god. and he tells asha that when he becomes king he would send her to the silent sisters. Also, he has wex, a squire. Doesnt only knights have squires?

Some non-knights have squires. Robb takes on his Frey squire even before becoming a king. Even if they aren't technically squires in the sense that they aren't training for knighthood, you still need someone to carry your stuff and help you get your armor on.

Theon does seem to lean more towards the Faith of the Seven than the Drowned God, presumably because he spent most of his life living with the Starks. Who seemed to raise their children in a mixture of the Seven and the Old Gods. A more extreme version of the same thing happened with Baelor Blacktyde while he was a hostage in Oldtown.

Some non-knights have squires. Robb takes on his Frey squire even before becoming a king. Even if they aren't technically squires in the sense that they aren't training for knighthood, you still need someone to carry your stuff and help you get your armor on.

Theon does seem to lean more towards the Faith of the Seven than the Drowned God, presumably because he spent most of his life living with the Starks. Who seemed to raise their children in a mixture of the Seven and the Old Gods. A more extreme version of the same thing happened with Baelor Blacktyde while he was a hostage in Oldtown.

I was thinking the same about squires. Unfortunately theres no entry on them on the wiki. And , yes, i also think theon is somehow a person without identity cultural wise. Poor man.

Brandon Stark had Ethan Glover as a squire. If you are out jousting at tourneys, you need someone to lug stuff around and help, no matter your faith.

I was thinking the same about squires. Unfortunately theres no entry on them on the wiki. And , yes, i also think theon is somehow a person without identity cultural wise. Poor man.

Yeah I do too. He is certainly confused on what he believes in. On one hand he was raised with the Starks who themselves mix their gods between the old ones and the Seven whereas he tries to reason with the Ironborn side of him which is conflicting for him. I dont really think that Theon is that religious tbh.

Archived