Small Questions v. 10097

Rhaenys_Targaryen

Consigliere, The Red Widow of Coldmoat, Jon Weirgaryen, Lost Melnibonean, thank you for your answers on kings-squires :love: . Very informative! Sorry I couldn't respond earlier: I've been having trouble using the site lately. Almost every time I try to open a page, the Hightower jumps from the left border into the middle, covering half of the text and preventing me from clicking on anything :bang: :D ! I could barely get through to thank you.

Im reading ACOK and have some questions regarding Theons faith.

He often thinks about gods, not one god. and he tells asha that when he becomes king he would send her to the silent sisters. Also, he has wex, a squire. Doesnt only knights have squires?

The squire thing is a non issue. Theon was like a knight and Wex was like a squire though neither was an actual knight nor squire. Theon's true beliefs or disposition toward the Old Gods is another brick in the wall that is Theon Durden.

Are the people/houses/clans of Skagos and The Mountain of The Moon subject to the law of the Iron Throne? I know the few names houses of the Skagosi are said to be Stark bannermen and of course we found out that they're hiding Rickon on the island, but they don't even rally to Robb when he crowns himself King In The North right? Or are they more wildling and live by their own laws etc?

Are the people/houses/clans of Skagos and The Mountain of The Moon subject to the law of the Iron Throne? I know the few names houses of the Skagosi are said to be Stark bannermen and of course we found out that they're hiding Rickon on the island, but they don't even rally to Robb when he crowns himself King In The North right? Or are they more wildling and live by their own laws etc?

I believe the clans in the Mountains of the Moon are considered outlaws. Martin once said of Skagos:

The lords of Skagos, though... they are a special case. Skagos is a =real= backwater, with very little contact with the mainland. In theory, the island is part of the north and subject to Winterfell. In practice, they pretty much go their own way.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1041

I believe the clans in the Mountains of the Moon are considered outlaws. Martin once said of Skagos:

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1041

Thats what I thought. It did say on their Wiki page that they're bannermen of the Starks, but considering there is no stories of them ever helping the Starks in history. Not even through Roberts Rebellion or the War of The Five Kings.

As for the mountain clans I guess them being considered outlaws makes sense. Although they're more hereditary.

The Mountain Clans in The North (Norrey, Wull etc) are all legit Houses though, right?

Thanks, just wanted to make sure I wasn't confusing myself. I think the most interesting thing about this series to me is the minority cultures of people.

Yeah, George created so many wonderful and rich cultures. That's one of my favourite aspects of the series.

No. She wasn't married or betrothed, and Barristan wouldn't break any KG vows.

Thanks! So the KG can crown whoever they want? And are only married/betrothed woman off limits or would it be scandalous for a lowly knight to crown a woman of higher status? Or would it be seen as platonic admiration?

And a question for native speakers- how rude is the word "wench"? Is it on par with calling someone a whore? Or more like a word for lower-class women? Does it have sexual connotations?

And a question for native speakers- how rude is the word "wench"? Is it on par with calling someone a whore? Or more like a word for lower-class women? Does it have sexual connotations?

I'd say it's not as offensive as calling someone a whore. Wench is just a condescending term for a woman, usually one in service but not as a whore. I wouldn't say there are no sexual connotations though. Tavern wenches in particular seem to be viewed as loose women.

Thanks! So the KG can crown whoever they want? And are only married/betrothed woman off limits or would it be scandalous for a lowly knight to crown a woman of higher status? Or would it be seen as platonic admiration?

I don't think married/betrothed women are off-limits if the tourney is in their honour. And if the Queen is present a knight would not.be overstepping their bounds by declaring her the QoLaB. For example, if Arthur Dayne had won and crowned Elia, I doubt there would have been any fuss. Or if the tourney had been held, for example, to honour Brandon and Cat's betrothal, and whoever won crowned Cat. The scandal with Rhaegar was that: a) he was married and his wife was present, b) the Tourney was not hosted to celebrate Lyanna and c) Lyanna was betrothed to Robert. Which is completely different to the situation between Ashara and Barristan, neither of whom are married or betrothed.

ETA: I think women in the modern day mostly take offence at being called a wench. Not sure of.its use in the context of the books,.but I always assumed it meant a serving girl, who would most likely expect to be fondled by patrons/guests

I believe the word wench is very derogatory in a modern contect. You can oly get away with it in an archaic use like the George does.

I've only heard "wench" used jokingly or when people are in costume pretending to be from a different time period. Or in movies/novels. Theatre people might use it for fun.

It is not a word you commonly hear people use in casual conversation, so I think you might confuse people more than offend.

It is less offensive than whore, but it always seems like the person using it is a male bully shoving his weight around. To call a very low class serving girl a wench would not be terribly offensive, just not very kind. However, to call a "high class" woman a wench would be much more of an insult. If you ask the butler to do the butler's job, it is expected. If you ask the Lord of the monor to do the butler's job, he might get very offended.

I always loved that Cat made the distinction between the two:

“Ah, as it happened, I was not in the castle. I’d crossed the Tumblestone to, ah . . .”

“You were whoring or wenching. Get on with the tale.” - ACoK p. 566

I always loved that Cat made the distinction between the two:

Ah, as it happened, I was not in the castle. Id crossed the Tumblestone to, ah . . .

You were whoring or wenching. Get on with the tale. - ACoK p. 566

I think the whores get paid. The wenches, well, they just dig having a good time.

If someone here could clear something that I had in mind that'd be great.

Did the 7 kingdoms just fell asleep durning their watch? Didn't the Targs lived on Dragonstone for over a hundred years before Aegon's landing? So it was a surprise that they have 3 dragons or am I'm missing something here?
If I were a king and I knew that not so far from my home lives a Valyrian dragon riders family I'd spent half my budget on learning everything I can on dragons/how to kill them/weak spots and basicly everything I could, the Valyrian Freehold was once the biggest empire in the world so it's only natural that one day the Targaryen would fly on their dragons and do exactly what they did in the War of Conquest.
I always get the feeling that they took all the kings by surprise there or maybe I'm wrong here?

Archived