Small Questions v. 10097

Rhaenys_Targaryen

I was recently re-reading Jaime's first chapter when he remember his farewell with Rhaegar.

Any theories on what was the prince alluring to? Was it simply feeling sad for letting things go too far and not doing anything against his father or is it something more specific? Like regretting rejecting a concrete offer of support (e.g from Tywin) to depose the king?

It was rumored that the tourney at Harrenhal had been a way for Rhaegar to gather as many lords as he could without raising suspicion. It is speculated that this was his attempt to gather support to dispose of Aerys, but whatever his plan was, Aerys was present, and thus nothing happened. The year that followed, Rhaegar did nothing (except going on a journey, ending in the Riverlands), perhaps because his thoughts were occupied..

I suspect that not only did Aerys' presence at Harrenhal prevent him from gathering support then, but something (possibly something that happened at the tourney) made him loose focus for a while.

Maybe he planned to make rebels bend the knee and than organise Great Council to overthrow Aerys and crown himself.

I also think it's possible he hoped he could work something out with the Rebels and then march their combined armies down to King's Landing and try to force Areys to abdicate. Robert hadn't announced his intentions to be king yet, and he may have thought he could just explain to Ned about Lyanna and that she was carrying his child. He just didn't count on Roberts intense hatred of him.

Currently doing a reread and I'm at Jons chapter in ACOK when they first meet Craster. When Craster looks at Jon he says, "He has the look of a Stark." before he is properly introduced.

Is it said anywhere that Jon looks like Benjen or that Ben and Lyanna look alike? How would Craster know what the Starks look like?

It's known that Craster is a "friend" to the NW and I'm sure he's met Benjen in several occasions. I think its also be said that Benjen and Lyanna looked alike, no? And Jon is supposedly looking like Lyanna. Or maybe simply that "looking like a Stark" is a stereotype that has existed in the north for generations.

It was rumored that the tourney at Harrenhal had been a way for Rhaegar to gather as many lords as he could without raising suspicion. It is speculated that this was his attempt to gather support to dispose of Aerys, but whatever his plan was, Aerys was present, and thus nothing happened. The year that followed, Rhaegar did nothing (except going on a journey, ending in the Riverlands), perhaps because his thoughts were occupied..

I suspect that not only did Aerys' presence at Harrenhal prevent him from gathering support then, but something (possibly something that happened at the tourney) made him loose focus for a while.

This, although I suspect certain concessions rather than a coup was the desired outcome.

Yeah, I have the feeling also. I'll keep my eyes open for it later. Perhaps I missed it from AGOT.

I also have it in my mind that Jon looks more like Benjen and Lyanna than he does Eddard.

However the idea of "looking like a Stark" could be a stereotype that has existed for a long time. Sort of like a "lordly first man" therefor Craster would know that Jon is a noble just be looming at him.

Are the Baratheon colors officially black and yellow because lately I've been seeing brown for the Stag and no black?

Also are Greyjoy colors black and yellow or black and gold?

Black and gold for both. Gold is essentially yellow in heraldry by looks, but it's supposedly a different colour.

Any theories on what was the prince alluring to? Was it simply feeling sad for letting things go too far and not doing anything against his father or is it something more specific? Like regretting rejecting a concrete offer of support (e.g from Tywin) to depose the king?

He planned to remove Aerys in Harrenhall, apparently. But spent a whole year in DS after that didn't work. He wasted a whole year. I think he regrets to not have acted sooner.

Will we receive a new chapter from winds of winter ? Last one was 1 yr ago

The last one was "Mercy".

Currently doing a reread and I'm at Jons chapter in ACOK when they first meet Craster. When Craster looks at Jon he says, "He has the look of a Stark." before he is properly introduced.

Is it said anywhere that Jon looks like Benjen or that Ben and Lyanna look alike? How would Craster know what the Starks look like?

Benjen had the Stark eyes (grey-blue, in his case). It could only be that. It could also be more.. but then why would Bran, when seeing his vision inDancr, think he's watching himself first, if it was truly Brandon? Bran has the Tully looks..

Are the Baratheon colors officially black and yellow because lately I've been seeing brown for the Stag and no black?

Also are Greyjoy colors black and yellow or black and gold?

Black and gold for both. Gold is essentially yellow in heraldry by looks, but it's supposedly a different colour.

In the 'real' medieval times, all those lovely flags were very uncommon. The colour "gold" on a wooden shield, on metal objects and on stone ornaments would be painted with real gold paint.

On a tissue, this was possible, too, and also done. But the tissue then became near unbearably heavy, because gold is terribly heavy. So it was used for garments. But not for flags that could no longer fly in the breeze but would hang down limply. Yellow needed to be used in place of gold, so the flag could still fly.

Now two children danced across the godswood, hooting at one another as they dueled with broken branches. The girl was the older and taller of the two. Arya! Bran thought eagerly, as he watched her leap up onto a rock and cut at the boy. But that couldn't be right. If the girl was Arya, the boy was Bran himself, and he had never worn his hair so long. And Arya never beat me playing swords, the way that girl is beating him. She slashed the boy across his thigh, so hard that his leg went out from under him and he fell into the pool and began to splash and shout. "You be quiet, stupid," the girl said, tossing her own branch aside. "It's just water. Do you want Old Nan to hear and run tell Father?" She knelt and pulled her brother from the pool, but before she got him out again, the two of them were gone.

ADwD 34 Bran III near the end of the chapter

Thank you pal.

Then yeah if thats infact Lyanna and Benjen that its safe to say that they look like each other. And if Bran confused them with himself and Arya the. It's also safe to say that the "Stark Look" is a stereotypical typical thing that has existed for a long time.

In early AGOT in Catelyn's early chapters she thinks about her children and what they look like. Robb, Sansa and Rickon all have the Tully fairing whereas Arya, Bran (I believe?) and Jon Snow all have the "Stark Look."

I think its safe to say that Jon looks like Benjen who in turn looks like Lyanna.

Archived