Small Questions v. 10097

Rhaenys_Targaryen

Marcher lords are Dondarion, Selmy, Oakheart, Caron, a few others. They are Stormlords who are on the border with Dorne, they are very strong and maintain large forces with large castles.

The border with Dorne is known as the Dornish Marches, hence the name marcher lords.

Masterly houses are beneath lordly houses. They cannot dispense justice, and they technically do not own the land, they administer it. Deepwood Mott is a masterly house I believe, they administer the Wolfswood but cannot dispense justice.

Should I use Wiki description

Marcher lords is the name given to the lords of the stormlands and the Reach within the Dornish Marches. Historically they have defended against Dorne. House Caron uses the title Lord of the Marches, although they do not hold dominion over the other marcher houses of the stormlands, including House Dondarrion, House Selmy, and House Swann. House Tarly and possibly House

Peake are marcher lords from the Reach.

Or something like

"Marcher lords are powerful lords who guard region near border with Dorne, known as the Dornish Marches. They have large keeps and maintain large forces, to defend lands of the Reach and Stormlands in case of Dornish attack.

Marcher lords:

- in the Stormlands:

House Selmy, House Dondarrion, House Swann, possibly House Caron

- in the Reach:

House Tarly, possibly House Peake

Makes sense. Thanks.

Valyrians allowed free worship of gods. The nobility didn't seem religious, but Balerion etc, probably comes from a Valyrian god, or a random god warshipped in Valyria.

Its also possible Tyrion is referring to Bronn cutting his fellow.sellswords throat, and then abandoning Cat in favour of Tyrion.

Oh my!

Thanks for making a start, though I am not sure yet if we actually need a faq. Anyway, now as it is a start, I join in.

Many of those are not, in fact, small questions, and a few belong to another thread.

Let's see:

How many Dunk and Egg stories were published?

[...]

How many Dunk & Egg stories were published?

Three Dunk and Egg stories are published at the moment. For now, they are

1. The Hedge Knight
    A short story to be found either in "Legends, edited by Robert Silverberg" or in "Dreamsongs II by George R.R. Martin"

There is also a rendition as a graphic novel by the same name: "The Hedge Knight".
  2. The Sworn Sword
    A short story to be found either in "Legends II - Dragon, Sword and King, edited by Robert Silverberg" or in ...

There is also a rendition as a graphic novel by the same name: "The Sworn Sword".
  3. The Mystery Knight
    A short story to be found either in "Warriors, edited by George R.R. Martin and Gardner Dozois" or in the paperback "Warriors 1, edited by George R.R. Martin and Gardner Dozois"

No graphic novel... yet.

(I have to collect where else the stories can be found, it is a faq and has often been answered.)

Will Dunk & Egg stories be published in one book?

All three stories are going to appear in the forthcoming book "A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms" supposedly being shipped by 2015-10-06.

When will "The Winds of Winter" be published?

Nobody knows. Current rumours say October 2015, but so far every rumor has been wrong.

The best bet is to follow GRRM's blog.

2. Westerosi customs.

What is "law right of the first right night" ?

Deary me, is that your small question? i can't remember having seen it in the threads so far.

What is the right of the first night?

The right of the first night, better known as droit du seigneur (which only looks French, although it is English usage, the French use different terminology) or jus primae noctis is a medieval custom that has been abolished in Westeros (by Jaeherys I & Septon Barth) as in the real world (apart from a few small islands in the English channel).

It allows the lord to be the first to consummate any marriage before the husband, thus potentially to sire numerous bastard children. In the real world, husbands would pay a fee to their lord for not making use of this right.

(but this is not a faq afaik)

What is "guest right" and why is it so important?

Guest right exists or existed in the real world in nearly every culture. The usual guest right in Europe would allow any traveller in need of shelter and food both shelter and food and also peace for up to three nights stay anywhere. The more remote or isolated the place (desert lands, moors, highlands), the holier the guest right.
Peace meaning the the person granting guest right would not be allowed to do the guest any harm, nor that anyone else did any harm to the guest under his roof.

In Westeros, guest right is sacred, by the old gods as well as the new. In the North and also north of the wall particularly, as those places are rather remote and isolated.

(but this also is not a faq afaik)

If knights are Andal custom of the followers of the Seven, why there are knights in the North (Old Gods) and in the Iron Islands (Drowned God)?

There aren't many. So far we know of a single Ironborn knight. Knights from the North spring forth from a few sources:

1. White Harbor and the Manderlys
    The Manderys in White harbor brought the new gods and Southern customs along, so knighthood is more common there.
  2. Houses near the Neck
    Houses who have business with the South may have a few knights, as customs mingle.
  3. War returnees
    Some Northerners simply get knighted by Southern nobility during war time, it cannot be helped. Sir Jorah Mormont is an example.
  4. Hedge Knights and Freeriders
    People living the life of a hedge knight or freeriders in service in the South might face the same treatment, when the do too many chivalrous deeds, although an example is missing here.

Who can make a knight?

Any knight can make a knight. Also any lord or the king can make a knight. As knighthood is a form of distinction, the higher in renown or social status the maker, the better for the image of the knight made.

3. History:

Maegor Targaryen and Faith Millitant uprising.

Uh, neither faq nor small question there.

Which Targaryens had stillborns or deformed children?

(The answers are somewhere upthread, aren't they?)

Here's the list by @Firespider:

• Maegor I The Cruel (multiple)
  • Rhaenyra (a daughter, Visenya)
  • Daenerys (a son, Rhaego)

How big do dragons grow?

Dragons seem just to grow if they get enough food. (I know, but I don't know where I read it. Who knows the source?)

(not a faq either, I think)

What happend at Hardhome?

What caused Doom of Valyria? Are there any theories?

Not small questions.

3. ASOIAF

How can Dany be sick if Targaryens are immune to ilnesses?

Who is Jon's mother? ( theories )

If Jon is a secret Targaryen how can he have burned hand?

If Jon is a Targaryen why doesn't he have purple eyes and silver hair?

That is R+L=J stuff, it seems wrong to treat it here. Maybe this:

Who is Jon's mother?

Jon who? Arryn? Umber? Connington? (just kidding)

Who is Jon Snow's mother?

Have a look into the first post of the current (fixed) R+L=J thread in the General ASoIaF forum. It links to collections of theories on Jon Snow's parentage.

Is The Ice Dragon part of the asoiaf universe?

No, it is not.

For a start, le voilà.

----------------------------------------------------------------

eta: collected answers from above

No, it is not.

What is a masterly house?

(is this a faq? I don't remember having seen it.)

Masterly houses are beneath lordly houses. They cannot dispense justice, and they technically do not own the land, they administer it. Deepwood Mott is a masterly house I believe, they administer the Wolfswood but cannot dispense justice.

Who are the marcher lords?

Marcher lords are powerful lords who guard region near border with Dorne, known as the Dornish Marches. They have large keeps and maintain large forces, to defend lands of the Reach and Stormlands in case of Dornish attack.

Marcher lords:
- in the Stormlands:
- in the Reach:

eta2 'ta @RumHam:

Was Dunk knighted?

It seems he wasn't, judging by his internal monologue, does it? There's no proof, though.

Does Dunk have any descendants in the main series?

He does, by word of GRRM. A few big lads and a lass come to mind. Thick as a castle wall.

If the kingsgaurd can hold no titles, how was Jamie going to be Warden of the East and West?

Wasn't it the Night's Watch that held no lands, nor titles? At least the titles of Wardens seem to be game for the kingsguard.

As to the malformed Targaryen children, do take note that Mushroom appears to be the only source about Visenya's status... Which makes me wonder how true it was...

Thanks for help! Maybe we should give this mini FAQ in the begining of new Small Questions threads?

Oh my!

Thanks for making a start, though I am not sure yet if we actually need a faq. Anyway, now as it is a start, I join in.

Many of those are not, in fact, small questions, and a few belong to another thread.

Let's see:

How many Dunk & Egg stories were published?

Three Dunk and Egg stories are published at the moment. For now, they are

• The Hedge Knight

A short story to be found either in "Legends, edited by Robert Silverberg" or in "Dreamsongs II by George R.R. Martin"

There is also a rendition as a graphic novel by the same name: "The Hedge Knight".

• The Sworn Sword

A short story to be found either in "Legends II - Dragon, Sword and King, edited by Robert Silverberg" or in ...

There is also a rendition as a graphic novel by the same name: "The Sworn Sword".

• The Mystery Knight

A short story to be found either in "Warriors, edited by George R.R. Martin and Gardner Dozois" or in the paperback "Warriors 1, edited by George R.R. Martin and Gardner Dozois"

No graphic novel... yet.

(I have to collect where else the stories can be found, it is a faq and has often been answered.)

Will Dunk & Egg stories be published in one book?

All three stories are going to appear in the forthcoming book "A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms" supposedly being shipped by 2015-10-06.

When will "The Winds of Winter" be published?

Nobody knows. Current rumours say October 2015, but so far every rumor has been wrong.

The best bet is to follow GRRM's blog.

Deary me, is that your small question? i can't remember having seen it in the threads so far.

What is the right of the first night?

The right of the first night, better known as droit du seigneur (which only looks French, although it is English usage, the French use different terminology) or jus primae noctis is a medieval custom that has been abolished in Westeros (by Jaeherys I & Septon Barth) as in the real world (apart from a few small islands in the English channel).

It allows the lord to be the first to consummate any marriage before the husband, thus potentially to sire numerous bastard children. In the real world, husbands would pay a fee to their lord for not making use of this right.

(but this is not a faq afaik)

Guest right exists or existed in the real world in nearly every culture. The usual guest right in Europe would allow any traveller in need of shelter and food both shelter and food and also peace for up to three nights stay anywhere. The more remote or isolated the place (desert lands, moors, highlands), the holier the guest right.

Peace meaning the the person granting guest right would not be allowed to do the guest any harm, nor that anyone else did any harm to the guest under his roof.

In Westeros, guest right is sacred, by the old gods as well as the new. In the North and also north of the wall particularly, as those places are rather remote and isolated.

(but this also is not a faq afaik)

If knights are Andal custom of the followers of the Seven, why there are knights in the North (Old Gods) and in the Iron Islands (Drowned God)?

There aren't many. So far we know of a single Ironborn knight. Knights from the North spring forth from a few sources:

• White Harbor and the Manderlys

The Manderys in White harbor brought the new gods and Southern customs along, so knighthood is more common there.

• Houses near the Neck

Houses who have business with the South may have a few knights, as customs mingle.

• War returnees

Some Northerners simply get knighted by Southern nobility during war time, it cannot be helped. Sir Jorah Mormont is an example.

• Hedge Knights and Freeriders

People living the life of a hedge knight or freeriders in service in the South might face the same treatment, when the do too many chivalrous deeds, although an example is missing here.

Who can make a knight?

Any knight can make a knight. Also any lord or the king can make a knight. As knighthood is a form of distinction, the higher in renown or social status the maker, the better for the image of the knight made.

Uh, neither faq nor small question there.

(The answers are somewhere upthread, aren't they?)

How big do dragons grow?

Dragons seem just to grow if they get enough food. (I know, but I don't know where I read it. Who knows the source?)

(not a faq either, I think)

Not small questions.

That is R+L=J stuff, it seems wrong to treat it here. Maybe this:

Who is Jon's mother?

Jon who? Arryn? Umber? Connington? (just kidding)

Who is Jon Snow's mother?

Have a look into the first post of the current (fixed) R+L=J thread in the General ASoIaF forum. It links to collections of theories on Jon Snow's parentage.

For a start, le voilà.

----------------------------------------------------------------

eta: collected answers from above

No, it is not.

What is a masterly house?

(is this a faq? I don't remember having seen it.)

Who are the marcher lords?

Marcher lords are powerful lords who guard region near border with Dorne, known as the Dornish Marches. They have large keeps and maintain large forces, to defend lands of the Reach and Stormlands in case of Dornish attack.

Marcher lords:

- in the Stormlands:

- in the Reach:

Thanks for very big help!

Who can make a knight?

Actually the lord has to be a knight.

To settle an old debate on EZBoard, any king can make a knight but any lord cannot. That lord must be a knight as well. So Baelor I could make knights but Eddard could not. George said the more important thing for kings is making lords. The problem is giving lands.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1624

Other common questions:

-Was Dunk knighted? Does he have any descendants in the main series?

-If the Kingsgaurd can hold no titles, how was Jamie going to be Warden of the East and West?

Added some more, placed all in a spoiler tag to the OP.

Who can make a knight?

Any knight can make a knight. As knighthood is a form of distinction, the higher in renown or social status the maker, the better for the image of the knight made.

It is currently unknown whether a King, who has never been knighted himself, can knight others. King Robert knighted numerous people, but he himself had been knighted in his youth.

That SSM I posted indicates the answer to the bolded is yes.

To settle an old debate on EZBoard, any king can make a knight but any lord cannot. That lord must be a knight as well. So Baelor I could make knights but Eddard could not. George said the more important thing for kings is making lords. The problem is giving lands.

Kingsguard can't hold any lands. :Warden" is a millitary office that doesn't give any lands and benefits.

Thanks, but I wasn't asking the question, just saying it's one that I remember seeing here a lot.

Archived